Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and Where Are You Traveling to This Weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Trish is visiting the outer bands of "Arlene" in the Keys, so is anyone else traveling anywhere special? If even out to work in the garden now that the weather is nice in most places?

It's run of the mill Chardonay for me tonight since DH's daughter will be here Sunday and we will be spending too much "moolah" on diving, dining and fun things over the next month during her visit.

The house is in order, I have a little treasure chest of "teenage goodies" on her bed, and we're all set for a month of teen parenting. Now it's time to relax.

Heading to St. Martin tomorrow for a day running errands, buying some necessities that we can't get here, a little pampering and some Rijstaffel for dinner. Looking forward to sleeping in the next day and some R&R on the beach, then meeting our teen in the afternoon and heading back home Sunday night.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Kal

Alohaaa...getting ready to shut down for the day and treck over to my favorite sports bar...sit on the patio (it's still 82 degrees, sunny light breeze, fire up a Macanudo and slurp down some Mich Ultra....until 7:00 when we come home and open up the "The Prisoner" and a few other bottles of red for friends and family who will be bringing over a meat/cheese plate.

Does it get any bettah'?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM

It's my first time posting to this thread!

It's the 2nd day in a row of 90 degree temps in BUFFALO! Can you believe it? Early June....go figure!

Having said that, I'm having an Absolute vodka and lemonade and heading about one mile away to my SIL's house to take a dip in her pool! Even in the city, you can fit an in-ground pool in your dinky yard!

Have a great weekend!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
bonniebroad

Hey there Statia, I'm having a glass or two of run-of-the-mill Rhine! Getting ready to go over to visit my Mom at her nursing facility tomorrow morning, then attend the North Carolina Wine Festival in Winston-Salem. I'm as excited about Smiley's Lexington BBQ being there as I am about the wines! Have spent the last couple of days nailing down the details of our trip, starting next Friday, to Savannah, Indian Shores Beach & Sanibel Island for 11 nights. So excited!

I'm sure you're going to have a lovely month with your DH's daughter. You sound to me like the VERY BEST kind of parent! Have a wonderful time with her.....

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I'm traveling to Balboa to East of Eden.

Translation: Balboa is a movie theater in San Francisco on Balboa Street, they usually have interesting movie re-runs, this weekend is James Dean weekend, never seen "East of Eden", love the book, want to compare them.

I'm still fighting PTSD - post Travel stress disorder My mind is still in Switzerland.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Kal

Sweet bonnieB,
Please post a note on our Wine O message board (Other Topics) on how you liked the Wine Fest.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I don't know what my poison will be tonight, all I know is that I need some...I'm waiting for my DH to walk in the door with a bottle of something, lol! I need to let him drink a few glasses and then break the news about my cell phone to him

I'll check back with you guys later
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:31 PM

This is an interesting post - do you do this often? Looks like fun!

Well, there is some Australian chardonnay in my fridge and we are off to Ashland, OR in the morning to retrieve our daughter who will come home for 3 weeks before jetting off to Melbourne to go to school down under.

Statia, you helped me in the past with St. Kitts info - I love your part of the world and can picture the beaches. Enjoy!

And I must admit, if this is a wine expert's board, I would be sorely lost! I usually just pick them by an interesting label!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Vodka, soda and a splash of limeade.....toasting mrlous cousin Dianne, who lost her fight with the big C last night. Planning on getting up and doing a 20mile training walk with Diane and CAPH52's DH on my mind. Cheers to all of you who survive and inspire and cheers to those who gave the fight.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Alright, I just walked out on the patio to retrieve my glass and saw an Alanis Morisette lyric come to life. Anybody want to take a guess? :lol

Welcome, BuffaloGirl!

Bonnie, thanks for the compliment. We try, but it's honestly very easy as she is a great kid. Ages 6-12 could be tough at times when you aren't used to the 24/7 parenting thing and only do it once a year, but now that she's a teen, it's a piece of cake.

seetheworld, good luck with breaking the news!

inthechips2, yes we do this every Friday night, so "welcome." I do remember giving you some info on St. Kitts in the past. Don't worry about being a wine connoisseur. We're just here to chat and have fun.

Sounds like a fun evening, Kal. Have some cheese for me since there is "nada" in my fridge at the moment. :lol

Faina, I can relate to the PTSD. Hope you get over it soon.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

gyppielou, I'm sorry to hear that. CAPH's husband has been on my mind, also. Good luck with your walk and let's all keep those suffering thru the big C and other illnesses in our prayers.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Amen Statia!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM

KAL,
How did you find "The Prisioner"? That was my favorite TV show. I'll be home here in Tequesta watching the TV for Arlene's track. Just drippy so far.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Ahh, Kal and johnthedorf, all the good lookin guys are here
Hi Statia honey, I would love a teenage goodie bag on my bed too lol
We had some nice Aliva? Pinot Noir and long discussions with the realtor & airlines..we are booking our flight for Portland and our move..So Excited!
So my weekend travel will consist of wandering from closet to closet, trying to figure out where to start with the packing

Big big comforting hugs to gyppie & mr lou
Scarlett
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM

I was going to give the following response:

Dubonnet...Destin

But with Lady Arlene's approach, I'll just stay home with my Dubonnet.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I have gotten very good at Denial.
There is not storm, there is no storm..

think it will work?

Stay safe Fl and La friends!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hi everyone. Well I guess I am about to try some single malt Speyburn Scotch and kick back for the night. Tomorrow is some nice, deep dish Chi. style pizza with friends......and maybe, just maybe a Peroni to wash it down.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We had a Beringer night. A bottle of Chenin Blanc while cooking and a bottle of Gamay Beujolais with dinner (mushroom soup and salmon with vegetable rice) we are recovering from travel (three weeks in Spain) so it feels good to be home and no traveling until next week (working in Madrid - not fun except for the food )
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Happy Friday evening

Not sure what my poison will be tonight. DH was gone this week for work, but arrived home about 4am. So it will be nice to just chill with him. I had hoped for a bbq and relaxing in the hammock, but the rain started. Summer in Portland, lol!

Can't have much poison tonight though since DS has a track meet out of town tomorrow. I love watching the kids do their things, but why couldn't even one meet be here in town???

Statia--I agree that it sounds like you are an awesome parent! What are the goodies you have for her? Our DD is 14 and having a party here this week, the day after 8th grade graduation. I have a feeling all the girls will be wound up, lol!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Evenin'All
My poison will be a yummy Martin Ray
chardonnay now that the temp is above
70 ! We traveled last week on a fabulous "at home" vacation here in the Wine Country-we wined and dined and antiqued and vegged-made off with some excellent purchases and now have empty pockets

for johnthedorf: my dear friend Kal
isn't watching "The Prisoner", he'll be drinking it.

It's a Napa Valley
blend that is mostly zin w/ cab,syrah,
petite syrah and charbono-delish !
So many folks here tonight will be in my prayers for weather, health and the general stress of living.

Vaya con dios.
R5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -