Search

What's to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Jamie

What's to eat?

I was wondering what is the strangest or most exotic thing you've ever eaten while on vacation?

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 10:28 AM
susan

Just had grasshoppers in Mexico. Hoped they might be interesting, but they were just crunchy and very salty. Had two bites and left the rest. Oh well!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 01:27 PM
beth

I know this isn't very exotic but the most exotic thing I've eaten was a quail.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 01:34 PM
elizabeth

I have a few:

"Cock's combs" (the frilly part on a rooster/chicken's head). A little gelatinous but quite good.

"Degustation d'agnon - A taste of lamb" - just about every part of a lamb served on one plate - loin, shoulder, kidney, liver, heart, brains. Glad I did it, but might not repeat it.

Snake blood - had a Japanese client who did the ordering at a Sushi bar. Odd flavour, but as they were staring at me to see if I would down it, I did!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 05:45 PM
barbara

I had the Sea Urchin appetizer at Gramercy Tavern in NYC. I love to try new things, espcially at great resturants because I always find they prepare unusual things quite well. NOT IN THIS CASE!!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 03:11 AM
Eva

When in Belize, I had stewed gibnut (aka "paca"), a large rodent which is found in the forests. It is also known as "Royal Rat" since QEII enjoyed some when she visited Belize many many years ago. And it didn't taste like chicken!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Ess

The most exotic thing I've ever eaten (other than escargots, frogs legs and certain seafood) is alligator tail - served in a cajun restaurant in NYC when cajun was a big fad there. It was like rubbery chicken. If I think too much about what I'm eating I get grossed out. Also had mountain oysters (?) at a Japanese restaurant. I have no idea what they were and don't want to know. Gelatinous.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:32 AM
xxx

Mountain oysters for those who want to know are bull testicles.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Emily

My husband had deep-fried scorpions in Shanghai. His sincere comment was "Yum! Crunchy!"