Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the real deal with Rain on the Olympic Peninsula?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are combing through books looking at possible places to retire, albeit not for 10 more years.

We desperately want to escape the cold and snow of NE winters.

Washington state came up as a choice after seeing Port Townsend listed in several of the books.

I've read that this area gets less rain than Seattle (which isn't saying much), and that people say it gets less in inches than even Washington, D.C.

My husband says that may be true, but from what he's heard the rain may not be abundant, but it is constant. Drip, drip drip - torture according to him.

Can anyone clear up this debate? Does it rain daily in Port Townsend/Sequim or much of the time, but basically mist? I think one of the books said it rains 280 days out of the year - seems like alot to me.

Would Sequim, Whidbey Island (Langley area) or Port Townsend be a better bet for retirement?? We like small towns (under 10K) but with some services, restaurants and things going on. We live right now in a very active waterfront area of about 18K.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe Sequim in particular is in some kind of "sunbelt" for that area. You might check those facts, although I think Port Townsend or Whidbey Island would be nicer places to live (life-style speaking).

I moved to Seattle from back east 20 years ago. Whatever the weather, sure beats snow in my opinion. I do always schedule a mid-winter vacation to Mexico or Hawaii for extra sunshine.

Each year is different but Seattle this winter has been very mild. It's been sunny and in the 50's for several weeks now.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sequim (and I assume you know that's pronounced "Skwim") is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. Over a rather modest-sized area (not entirely including Port Townsend) precipitation is quite low compared to other parts of western Washington. It's locally called the "banana belt" and is home to an increasing number of retirees, also lavender farmers, because the climate mimics that of Provence. Sadly, the food does not.

Most parts of the Puget Sound region get around 35-40 inches of annual precipitation. That's about the same as many eastern seaboard cities, many in the midwest, less than many in the south. The difference comes in the form and frequency of the precipitation. We get very little snow on the lower elevations, and summer rain (meaning July-September) is very uncommon compared to Midwest/Eastern areas that get summer thunderstorms etc. Thus the bulk of the precipitation falls between October and May/June, and yes, it can seem incessant some years. More often, though, it follows a pattern of one day of moderate rain, followed by a day of showers and sunbreaks, then a sunny day, then a cloudy day with rain beginning in the evening, repeat, repeat... for weeks on end, as the fronts move in off the Pacific and blow through. It's seldom that you get prolonged rainy periods, also rare that you get prolonged sunny periods during the fall-spring months.

Oh, no high humidity in summer either.

Sequim/PT fall on the dry end of that spectrum. One tradeoff is reasonably frequent warm-to-cold winds (depending on direction) blowing down the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which forms a funnel between mountain ranges, inland seas, and a rather large ocean just down the road.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

One of the books I was reading last night gave rainfall as:

Port Townsend - 46 inches
Sequim - 25 inches
Whidbey Island - 18 inches

Is Whidbey rain really that low? They also said that Whidbey is extremely quiet compared to PT and Sequim, and that the weather in all 3 is always very cool. Can anyone comment?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:57 AM

It's probably due to the specific location on Whidbey where they measure. The island is 40 miles long or something like that, so given the "micro-climates" that prevail around here, they're probably measuring at Oak Harbor, which is also in the rain shadow, rather than, say, Langley, which isn't.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Hi Wanderer,

To understand Washington weather from afar (nobody here understands it either), the first thing you should do is look at the two mountain ranges that run north to south in the western half of the state.

The mountain ranges "protect" some areas while others remain vulnerable to ocean winds and weather. The single rainiest spot/town in the lower 48 is "Forks", out on the northern Washington coast. The "Olympic" mountain range strips the incoming clouds of their rain, in great volume, making the other side a bit more livable.

Recently I was driving from Vancouver, Canada to Seattle, and after a weekend of zero snow IN Vancouver, upon hitting a spot 5 miles north of the Canada border, there was snow on the ground everywhere and it was on the ground everywhere until a point roughly 5 or 10 miles SOUTH of Bellingham, WA.

Of course random patches of snow can happen anywhere, and perhaps for any reason, but there is a lot to the idea that once you're north of the Olympic range, nearing the Straight of Juan De Fuca, the ocean winds have more direct access to transport unchecked weather systems.

Nowthen, your husband is probably right-on, by the standards of everywhere else, about Seattle's drip-drip-drip torture.

Regarding Port Townsend, it certainly COULD be vulnerable to some weather systems coming through the Straight. And that Straight is no bathtub either, just ask the numerous tourists who get sick in rough currents enroute to Victoria from Seattle each year.

At any rate, those in Port Townsend are likely to share our predominantly gloomy grey skies.

No matter the locale out here, we can promise that you'll escape the fierceness of the northeast winters. Snow might happen 3 times a winter in Seattle and it hasn't been below 20 degrees here in quite a while.

If you project into the future a bit, the rural Washington State area still won't be overrun by society while your warmer southern alternatives may lose their quaintness upon being overrun by humanity.

Oh, and about the rain here, it is generally fairly tame, and steady, and it is said that only transplants use umbrellas because the natives just have "hoods" on their fall/winter/spring attire and that those suffice. Translation: We simply don't have those downpours which cause people in other areas of the country to have to simply STOP in the middle of the freeway because the alternative is to go 70mph through "car wash" conditions.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:29 PM

My brother just returned from spending a week at a lighthouse in Sequim (I gotta do that sometime). Aside from one stormy night, he said it was generally dry, with beautiful skies, and comfortable enough for him to be outside in pajamas taking photos of the sunrise each morning. He also said something about the banana belt affect of being in the Olympic rain shadow.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know where I can find a chart of the # of sunny days per year for these towns?

After telling my husband that Whidbey only lists 18" of rain per year (we get 42), he said yes, but it may rain 280 days of the year. That we would both hate.

Trying to make sense of this all. Does anyone know if Sequim and Whidbey are the only 2 towns in the Banana Belt?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:18 AM

As somebody once said, there are lies, d@mn lies, and statistics.

Since your proposed retirement target is ten years out, why not come out to the area for an extended time - say three weeks or so - during the winter, to see how you like it. Investing a little face time with a potential retirement area seems like a good idea to me.

Lots of factors go into rainfall or sunshine data. It can be grey and dry, or sunny and windy, or wet and warm. Within 10 minutes. Some people think our winters are cozy, others think they're gloomy. How will you know your reactions without experiencing it first hand?

So come on out and try a test drive before you start haggling over the sticker price.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:33 AM

I find Sequim rainfall numbers more like 15 inches. Port Townsend would be the other town in the rainshadow.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo -
We fully intend to come out and spend some time - 3 wks isn't doable, as we both work and getting 1 week away is a struggle.

At this point we are looking all over the country for possible retirement spots, so trying to narrow the list to a reasonable amount since we can't visit the entire country.

Weather, cost of living (much less so as MA is quite expensive) and crime are important factors, and we really want a place near the water since we live in a coastal town. It is also very historic, and a place with a sense of history appeals to us.

I agree visiting is the only way to tell. We had Savannah and Charleston on our list, and realized when we went in May they were out the of question due to the humidity. Charleston prices were also out of sight, and Savannah crime was alot higher than we knew about. Both lovely though!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Ok, I got a few comments for ya about Sequim. 1.) It is becoming THE place for people in WA to retire. It really is. It is really starting to grow for being a small town - still under 10,000 though. So rather than becoming a tourist town it's becoming a retiree town, which is much better in my opinion. 2.) The rumors about the rainfall that you hear are most likely true. But it's less than you may think - about 14-17 inches annually is the popular figure. It rarely ever gets over 20 inches a year. I read once that a species of cactus actually usded to grow there. 3.) The sun. Since most of Western WA is plaqued with cloudy days throughout the year, it is quite a shock to see the sunny weather in Sequim.

Now let me stress that the sunny weather is basically just ABOVE Sequim and not the surrounding areas, lol. It's not exactly sunny ALL day, but Sequim DOES get 300+ sunny days a year. The residents will brag about their pleasant weather (I wish I had weather like it where I grew up - South Puget Sound with over 60-70 inches) You also wanted history and Port Townsend is nearby and is the 2nd oldest town in WA. Sequim is fishermans and boater's type place. Below is what I got with a quick Google search (there's gonna be some duplicate info, but at least it's just more reassurance, lol):

Airplane pilots refer to the Sequim area as the "Blue Hole". Sequim is within a rain shadow and is THE prime location within Washington State's Banana Belt.

The Sequim area has the driest Pacific Coast climate north of Los Angeles, California. The average annual precipitation is only 17 inches of rain per year.

Average Summer Day Temperature: 72°F
Average Summer Night Temperature: 49°F
Average Winter Day Temperature: 42°F
Average Winter Night Temperature: 31°F

Located in the "rain shadow" of the Olympic Mountain range Sequim only receives 16 inches a year on average.

In 1997, Fortune Magazine named Sequim one of the Top-six retirement communities in the nation.

University of Washington has called Sequim the "Healthiest place in the world."

Hope all this helps out in your retirement search. Can't tell ya how it'll be in 10 years though, hehe. Not sure what the town of Sequim will look like then Definitely take a trip as soon as you can. Try it out once during the summer or winter and if you think you'll like it, make another trip in the opposite season. Good luck
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM

On the other hand...

Sequim is one helluva long way from a major hospital (no offense Port Angeles, but..)

The stretch of US 101 between Sequim and the Bremerton cutoff is notorious for head-ons and various other nasty events.

The preponderence of post-child-possessing households in the Sequim area has meant the school district (and in fact most taxing districts around Sequim) has to struggle for publicly-supported financial aid (school levy overrides, bond issues, etc.) The retirees are disinclined to raise their own taxes to help kids that aren't theirs. IMHO somewhat shortsighted. Washington's education system, while not as hard up as some, is crazy dependent on local bond issues and - yikes - a share of the taxes collected by the State on trees logged off State land, so in times of economic slump in the forest industries, and/or environmental controls - guess who gets hurt first?

Not to put the place down, but I guess I'm saying one needs to look at all aspects of a community...
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM

My in-laws lived in Sequim for several years before moving to Bellingham and then again to the Oregon wine country.
We were living near Portland (OR) at the time, so would drive up to see them every 3rd week-end. At one point, I was working on an assignment full time in PT and living with them in Sequim.

IMHO, Sequim has possibly the nicest climate in the entire United States! It feels like mid- to late spring 9 months of the year. Beautiful mild days, cool nights. Plenty of sun, but few days when it's really hot. Snow that sticks around is very rare, but every now and then it gets smacked with snow, but it usually melts away within a few days. The air is clean (so far, knock wood) and you can get absolutely spectacular views of the mountain ranges and the water. It is a wonderful place for walking, fishing, crabbing (one of their neighbors used to regularly drop by with fresh Dungeness crab, absolutely delicious). It has a few interesting "secret" charms (fossil hunters love it, if you know where to look; then there is the locally famous Route 101 elk herd). Water sports are popular, too, esp. for those who keep boats at the John Wayne Marina (yes, it's "that" John Wayne). Lavender farms are everywhere and it's also popular with people who raise llamas and alpacas. People are friendly and (generally) tolerant.

But as others have noted, it does fall down on the food, services, etc., areas. But I see that improving as more people with disposable income and discerning tastes move into the area (i.e., reasonably well off retirees)--things are bound to spring up to fill the void. Fortunately PT is only a 30 minute (or so) drive away and it does have some excellent restaurants and cultural activities. I will say Sequim has the nicest Costco I've ever been to, but that's hardly a reason to move there.

The other downside is, surprisingly, water. If you look at properties there and they're not on the irrigation system (the real estate people should explain that to you), make sure the well is deep enough. Water access is becoming a problem in both Sequim and PT.

The weather in PT (and also Port Ludlow, you should check that community out as well if you're Olympic Peninsula bound) is not as nice as Sequim's, but I still found it mild and pleasant. Not as much sun, but it's hardly pouring with rain. It is a bit greyer, but when the sun is out, it's magnificent. To stay abreast of community issues, read the PT Leader online every week (fresh issues posted late Wednesday/early Thursday). The letters section is particularly enlightening.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.

I want to see the area even if we don't keep it on our "retirement list". It just sounds so very beautiful.

A main concern as retirees would be a good hospital nearby - fact of life. We are spoiled here in MA with all the great hospitals in Boston not so far away, and decent hospitals within 10 minutes of where we live.

We absolutely love where we live, but are really looking to escape the NE winters - right now we are getting yet another storm - 6-10 inches, with wind chills at 0 and below - in March!!

We ski, and don't mind the snow, but the cold and the fact Winter lasts 6 months of the year here is starting to get to us....
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Although this thread has been dormant for a while, Wanderer, your concerns about access to medical care are important. This was one of the main reasons my in-laws left the OP.
Another town you might want to consider is McMinnville, OR, in the heart of the Oregon wine country. A nice place to live, with its own medical facilities, and within easy reach of several very good hospitals in Portland (they might not be up to Boston's best in all specialties, but they are still quality places...the NW lifestyle and lower cost of living has drawn several top doctors from places like Boston, NY and DC--I had surgery at Good Sam in NW Portland and received excellent care throughout).
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:24 AM

Wanderer,
I know the area well. As a retiree however I relocated to Jupiter, Florida. It has it all including terrific medical facilities and recreation. When it gets humid and hot...I leave on a jaunt (Palm beach International is close). Europe when the Euro is more reasonable, Canada and the Northwest when not. New York and the Northeast in the Summer...and New Orleans when the hurricanes are screaming up from the Caribbean! It's a beautiful world and we live in a wonderful country so pick a place that fits your criteria most and then explore it.
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM

As a four year resident that moved from New Jersey to Washington Seattle area, I enjoyed reading the information on this thread. Never realized some areas actually get less rain, and these terms used to describe the weather locations can be confusing to someone who lived their entire life on the eastcoast, but at the same time, so very interesting. My husband and I are 20+ years away from retiring, however, we are discussing plans now for when that day comes. Bottom line is we want to purchase a vacation house that we will one day retire in (when paid off) but can rent out as a vacation rental. Obviously it will have to be in a vacation type of community to rent in the summer/peak seasons and would love to hear any recommendations on areas that would be ideal for the reasons we want to buy. We do plan on visiting some different areas on Whidbey Island over the summer to get a better sense of the island but would appreciate any suggestions on any particular locations from you wise Fodor people. Oh, one more question-- is Langley THE place to buy and is it as wonderful as all my books describe? THANKS!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:07 AM

Lovely vacation home, Heather. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Jojo, I bought my vacation/retirement home 20 years out - just so I'll be able to afford the place when I need it! Best financial decision I've ever made.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM

My observation over the last many years of living in the NW, is that many people leave the rainy areas of the NW to retire to sunnier climes, or at least dream of it. Arizona and Nevada seem to be favorites.

Places I hear most often about as desireable for retirement in the NW are Bend OR and Ashland OR, both in a sunnier climate zone.

I'd be curious to know what others think. Obviously, many people would choose to retire in the areas they raised their families and are part of the community. I just don't know if many people choose to come to the rainier pts of the NW for retirement if they don't already have a connection with the place. All this said, I do love it here and don't mind the weather. Still, there is nothing like a sunny day....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -