Reload this Page >

Whats the Greenbier resort like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Lisa Downes

I live on the West coast and I am interested in visiting the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia. I've never been there, but read its beautiful. I would be traveling with my two young teenagers. I like to stay in luxury when I travel but I'm not into the "attitude" of some luxury resorts - especially with teenagers. Can you share your experiences with me? Or do you have another recommendation? We're open. Thank you.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 04:53 AM
J T Kirk

I have been there several times, many as a child with my parents. I can say this about the Greenbriar -- it's gorgeous. It's very old world, very big and very opulent. And there is an "attitude" there. You have to "dress" for dinner.
Most people go there to play golf, or tennis. they do have horseback riding, and hiking trails. Swimming pools, indoor and out. A truly great spa. And it has history. It is also somewhat isolated -- you pretty much are stuck at the resort. The small town of White Sulfur Springs is nearby, but it's not much of a diversion. I think it's a sight to see, but I do (as you can tell) have some reservations about it based upon the way you phrased your question.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Patrick

One note: friends of mine stayed there last year and hated it for one reason. About 90% of the hotel was a big convention group -- insurance people, I think. As a result my friends felt out of the loop. Everytime they went to a lounge, restaurant, or even lobby area it had been taken over by these boisterous conventioneers. Although the place is spectacular it has really become a convention resort. You might want to select a time when there is no convention or only a very small one.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 07:06 AM
J T Kirk

Yes, the Greenbriar gets a lot of convention business. Then again, all large resorts get lots of convention business. that segment of the travel business is a BIG money maker for large hotels. it's a lot easier to fill up the rooms with a convention, or two.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Kevin

'Attitude' is de rigeur at the Greenbrier. If you like casual resort-type elegance (think California/Arizona) this ain't the place. This is traditional, English-type formality.
And I think the accommodations are overrated.
.02 cents.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Boots

My family has been to the Greenbrier two times (both with husband's work). Our kids (preteens) enjoyed the luxury, but it wasn't my favorite place because I did think it's a bit snooty ("English" as a previous poster said, is a good adjective). Also, when we were there ALL of the guests (including us) were white and the high majority of the waiters, bellmen etc were African American. That may not always be the case there, but it made me a bit uncomfortable. As far as that type of resort goes, I prefer the Homestead (in Virginia) as it is less formal and seems less segregated.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:22 PM
Lisa Downes

I appreciate all your comments!Although it sounds like everyone agrees it is a beautiful resort,I don't think this is the type of vacation I had in mind for my family. Maybe I can get my company to arrange for a convention there sometime! THANK YOU!

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is, do you get to take a tour of the congressional bunker that has recently been declassified?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:38 AM

A recent TV program on the Greenbriar indicated that tours of the bunker were offered.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Tours of the bunker area are available. I took one, very interesting. I stayed at the Greenbrier about a year and a half ago with my very aged and frail mother. It was perfect for the two of us. She enjoyed the dressing up for dinner and the very attentive service. She was also extremely comfortable in the room (she is handicapped and it was much more adapted to her needs than the usual handicapped room). The furnishings were elegant and well done.
I hike and like to be outdoors most of the day and found the Greenbrier well suited to me as well. Plus I loved the spa. Nice facials and massages go a long way with me. I was not put off by any "stuffiness" and instead found the staff very kind and helpful.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM

It is the only place I have ever been where I saw bellmen wheeling multiple carts of what looked like genuine LV luggage.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I am interested in taking the congressional bunker tour. Do they sell that separately, or do you have to be a guest and purchase a package?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM

When we were there, you could take it separately. It was maybe $30 or so per person.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Regarding the tour, I'd call the Greenbrier and ask if they still offer it. My husband took it last year, and they said there were plans to stop offering the tour. Too bad, because he said it was fascinating (and a little eerie).
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Whats the latest status on tours of the Bunker?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I, too, heard they were ending the bunker tours. You might want to call and ask.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 01:57 PM

As with everything at the "Greenbrier" it's overpriced and over rated!! It has seen better days, as it now caters to tour buses and the like. I refuse to pay outlandish prices for a place where they run out of silverware and coffee before the main entrees have arrived. Several entrees had already been taken off the menu, as well. Our $650. a night bungalow was full of cobwebs and dust! Disgusting!!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM

The Greenbrier is beautiful, but they definitely have an attitude. If you want golf, horseback riding, facials, spas, and groveling, the Greenbrier is the place to go. I live locally in Greenbrier County, but they won't let locals on the Grounds any more. If you want a nice, small, elegant hotel with local flavor and don't need all the above amenities, stay at the General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg at a fraction of the price.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cvechko

Wow matss, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. We have been going to The Greenbrier for 16 years & have never seen any bus tours, cobwebs, etc. A few years ago it seemed to be "not quite up to the old par" & was resting on its laurels but they have turned that back around.

We really like The Greenbrier but the prices are high. We take my son so we get one of the Paradise Row cottages. By the time all is said of done (of course, it includes going wild making purchases in the gourmet shop & having items shipped home) our bill for Thurs - Sun is around $3500. We can go to the islands for a week for that price.

We have never found the staff to have an attitude & have always been very pleased with our time there. Wait, I take that back - they have a couple hateful bartenders at the Sam Snead bar.

You can no longer get onto the grounds unless you are staying there. However, after staying, you can get back onto the grounds for up to 1 year.

You should see the new "exclusive" area of the Greenbrier called the Sporting Club. People staying at The Greenbrier do not have access to that area or its restaurant - can only get in if with a homeowner.

Ah, but we still love our Greenbrier. It is beautiful and has a lot to do.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM

*However, after staying, you can get back onto the grounds for up to 1 year*

How does that work? Do you just keep your room key - hehe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -