Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the finest hotel on the Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jed

I'm looking to pop the question any day now and we will be going to the Big Island for our honeymoon. What are the 3 best hotels on the Island?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:41 AM
xxx

The Four Seasons on the BI is considered one the of best hotels in the world.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Joyce

Top 3 are:
1) 4 Seasons Hualalai
2)Orchid at Mauna Lani
3) Hilton Waikola Village.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM
x

I'm glad Joyce isn't planning my trip. I hardly think that the Hilton would be in the top 3.... Maybe at the bottom of the top 10 but certainly not in the same class with the Four Seasons or Orchid!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Jack

The Four Seasons is indeed one of the top 10 resort hotels in the world.
It has a lot more class and refinement than the Orchid, but the Orchid's a very nice place as well.
There isn't anyplace else on the BI which I'd recommend if you want 'the best'.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:54 AM
nmm

Yes I'd agree with the others on the top two. But the 4S sets them both apart widely as the best. For a third I'd suggest Muana Lani or Hapuna Beach Prince (same company). I stayed at the Hapuna a month ago and spent the whole time wishing I was at the 4S. However $$ wise the others are less expensive. One thing to consider about the Orchid is that there are a lot of Business meetings at that hotel, that may not be true with the current economic situation anymore though. If that's your choice call ahead to see if anything is going on there before you book. If your girlfriend is into nature both Orchid & 4S have beautiflul Sea Turtles along the shore lines.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Ted

But nmm, at least you had a GREAT beach at Hapuna which the FS does not have. Ditto for the Mauna Lani Bay (Great beach)! If you're strictly a pool person, then it doesn't matter.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:58 PM
nmm

True about the beach being beautiful. Another thing that really stood out the Hapuna is that although we got a terrific room rate that was immediately offset by the astronomical prices for room service and dining at the hotel. We did visit the Mauna Kea and the beach there was also equally breathtaking.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 05:40 AM
nina

It was 10 years ago, but my husband and I stayed at the Mauni Lani Bungalows and they were incredibly luxurious. We had our own, beautifully appointed villa. I couldn't get over the kitchen! Very private, very romantic. Felt like royalty staying there. Check it out. They are next to Mauna Lani Bay and operated by them I believe.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
judo

Dear nmm,
How did you get a
"terrific room rate" at the Hapuna? Fill me in!
Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 09:25 AM
nmm

I got 5 nts. ocean view prime, breakfast, 1 candlelit dinner, and transfers (romance package) through www.luxurylink.com for $1800. I think the pkg is still availible but the min. bid was raised to 2K now Best Shot Auction.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:21 AM
nychick

i can only speak for this one resort b/c it's the only one i've been to on the big island...it's called Kona Village Resort. absolutely amazing, luxurious but not stuffy, great food, beautiful.

they have a website.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 11:31 AM
fran

We loved the Outrigger. Has lots of Aloha charm. It's near the Hilton but not so noisy and chaotic. the Outrigger is not as expensive as The Orchid and Four Seasons but it has a wonderful swimming beach.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM
lindafromNJ

Kona Village is the most unusual place to stay on the Big Island, It is not a high rise hotel but large huts with all the amenities. You can snorkel right off the beach. It is relaxing and you never want to go home. The food is great and just walking around the grounds makes you feel wonderful My husband an I got married there. If I have a stressful day in the office all I have to think about is the peace and tranquilty of Kona Village.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:36 PM
sandy

If you want the nicest hotel on the island, hands down it's the Four Seasons. Next would be Orchid at Mauna Lani, then probably the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. Hapuna Prince is also nice and you can generally get really good deals there. I would call a travel agent for a hotel only quote, as sometimes tour operators offer great deals. Kona Village is very nice, but because it is all-inclusive, you would be committed to having all meals there which isn't condusive to exploring the island. Also, some people ( like my husband) would have trouble leaving the TV and Phone behind. Have fun.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:48 PM
JBG

I going to the Orchid in May. Is that a mistake, should I be staying at the FS? Also, any advice on what to do and not to do would be appreciated.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Mark

Cost.
Cost is the deciding factor.
If money is not an object, then the Four Seasons is your hands down choice. The Orchid lags well behind the FS in room quality, service, ambience, food.
The FS BI is Zagat's top rated resort in the USA (tied with the FS Maui and Lodge at Koele).

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:07 PM
x

hey Mark!
Why did you let Gabe get voted out??!! that tribe is screwed.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:17 PM
scottyb

Next time we go back to the Big Island we'll stay at Hilton Waikoloa again. Although it is an aging property and probably not within the top three it is a property with a lot of uniqueness and charm. Our five-year old loves the pools and slides. You can get in the water with dolphins if you sign up early enough. It has a touch of Chinese/Buddhist/Zen/Asian culture.

If you want an ultra-luxurious secluded recent-construction hotel go someplace else. If you are looking for a fine property you'll have fun exploring and want to remember go to the Waikoloa.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Werner Seiz

You should also consider the Holualoa Inn, if you want to be away from all but want to see the Kona coast. Though it is not formally a five or six star hotel, for me this would be the best place for honeymoon. The Sheraton would be the second best choice on Big Island for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -