Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest vacation you have every taken?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:46 AM
usa

How much did you spend down to the penny? And of course where did you go?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
travellyn

The cheapest recently was probably last year, when my husband and I spent about 5 days backpacking on the Colorado trail with another couple. My husband and I probably spent around $40 on gas, $15 on the one meal we ate at a diner, maybe $30 on food we cooked on the trail, and a couple of dollars on long distance calls coordinating things. We didn't buy any new clothing or equipment, and didn't spend anything on lodging. It probably cost less than $100 for the 2 of us.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Free

Got a comped flight from a friend (airline exec) to NYC and a comped hotel room for 3 nights at the Surrey Hotel so it was free. A free trip to NYC.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Vic

Las Vegas:
Roundtrip air: $119
Hotel room: comped
Food: comped
Beverages: comped
Winnings: $3700 (or so).

Total trip cost: Excess funds of $3500+

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Jen

No fair counting free stuff due to work, friends, frequent flyer miles, etc. Otherwise, I'd have a 3-week trip to Hawaii for $200 for 3 people (FF miles, stayed with relatives), and a 3-week trip for 4 to England for $1000 (FF mile again, home/car exchange), etc.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
cheapbutfun

This year we drove from NY to W.Harrisburg. For $179 we stayed at the Homewood Suites (an award winning hotel, part of the Hilton chain ). They gave you a free large Pizza Hut pizza and 2 adult tickets to Hershey Park. Homewood also provides a buffet breakfast in that package price.

So throw in one kid ticket, gas/tolls & lunch at Hershey and we probably had spent less than $225. Had a ball.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:42 PM
lcuy

In the darkest part of an oregon winter, five of us college kids piled in a van and drove 24 hours straight to Palm Springs. Split a room at a motel 6 type place, got free breakfast with the room, lunch at the supermarket and free happy hour buffet dinner at a nightclub by buying one drink. We laid in the sun poolside for two days, then drove back to school. I've never enjoyed a 4 day vacation so much on so little money!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:52 AM
mannie

Actually, not the cheapest but my husband and I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip out west (Co. and New Mexico) for under $100. a day...including gas! We stayed at nice motels and ate well.
This time of the year is a good time to travel...you can deal with the motel chains.
We ate snacks etc while traveling, had free "breakfast" at the motel and a nice meal in the evening at a local favorite restaurant.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:21 PM
alexa

I didn't get to go because my tickets were lost in the mail (our city and county were having serious mail problems) but we booked a pkg. with American Airlines for the 1st week of April this year: 5 nights at the Crowne Plaza in London - 400 yards from Buckingham Palace, direct flights from NY, taxes, fees, and airport transfers for the two of us. Total1350. I wanted to hurt someone when my tickets didn't arrive! It was a deal I haven't seen since.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:47 AM
topper

nice thread, to the top

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Sarah

Around Europe for 2.5 months in 1985 on $500. This did not include one way ticket home. Can't remember if it included rail fair purchased in London. Do remember hostels being soooooo cheap. Stayed in youth hostels in Italy, Greece, Spain with a one week stay in Barcelona at a friend's home.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Sarah

Oh yes also saw parts of Switzerland and Austria on that trip

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Lois

Years ago, when our kids were small and money was really tight, our vacation was a two day visit to the NY State Fair. We stayed with relatives overnight, and purchased the tickets to the Fair in advance, and they were cheaper that way. I believe the tickets were $2 per adult. [This was about 20 years ago]. We were able to continue to save money by being around at the right time for free food samples. And, ice cold cups of chocolate milk were 15 cents. There was free open air entertainment and enough exhibits to keep our three young children entertained for two days. We still look back fondly at those memories.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
nina

Bermuda cruise on Royal Caribbean June of 2001, $578 pp incl. taxes AND we were upgraded to a balcony suite! The kids were even less ($200) Booked it last minute on a Tuesday, left that Saturday.