What's so great about Mag Mile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've been on the Mag mile several times with my out of state visitors. We just don't get it. I see the same stores that are at most malls. Are we not finding the hidden gems or what?

Where are these great shopping spots? I've been in Water Tower place, Bloomingdales, Disney, Gap, Borders, Nordstroms and all asorted stores in between (and of course Garrets)--what am I missing?

This time my guest have requested a visit to American Girl, but after that what stores should we check out?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I agree redshoe!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:28 AM

redshoe, are you looking for upscale shopping such as Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany & Company, etc.? Burberry, Hammacher Schlemmer, The Sharper Image, and the like?

Hotels and dining establishments such as the Penninsula (and Avenues), Spiaggia, the Four Seasons, and so on?

I don't know to what "hidden gems" you are referring but the Magnificent Mile is advertised for its larger number of upscale shopping, dining and accommodation options. (And Oak Street for the upscale boutique shopping.)

However, have you gone west one or blocks in the same vicinity to some stores such as P.O.S.H., Children in Paradise, Equinox, etc. if you are looking for some different types of stores?
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:42 AM

Sorry, that was supposed to be going west "one or two blocks..." in the last paragraph.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I love the Mag Mile. I'm there almost every year for the week after Thanksgiving when the stores are all decorated for Christmas and the staff all seem to be in a festive mood.

Two years ago, I took my Milan-based colleague (a world traveler who knows a thing or two about shopping) for a walk along the MM followed by a drink at the Hancock Tower. She thought it was fantastic.

It's not just the stores. It's the whole package--the stores, the restaurants, the people, the architecture, the river, the energy.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

See- that's the kind of stores I'm looking for. One of a kind, eccentric with items you won't find anywhere else. Especially home decorative things. One can only take so much pottery barn and crate & barrel.

So I need to go one or two blocks west?

Don't get me wrong, I do love the hustle and bustle of Mag mile especially around the holiday time but when I first moved to Chicago the Mag was highly promoted as being like no where else, so it was a shock to see familar stores.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:08 AM

I guess it depends. I live about 1 1/2 miles away from 'mag mile' so it essentially is 'my mall' (actual malls are far to complicated to get to and I haven't been in one in quite awhile). For me, what I do like is the mix of stores as it is convenient that I can pop in to standards like Crate and Barrel and pick something up I need for the house, and walk down the street and drool over something at Tiffany's I probably could never afford, laugh at the absurdity of Neiman Marcus, walk a couple blocks north and peek into the high end stores of Chanel, Escada, and Barney's, then walk into H&M and buy something that actually fits within my academic salary.

Now I'll be the first to admit, I think there are too many chains on the street, I'd like to see some more unique offerings, but I also know that there a lot of people who do not live by stores that you mentioned and for those of us who are used to living in well off suburbs or cities, these places are common, for those who do not, they are not (my sister lives in northwest indiana, which is a bit economically depressed, and you'd be hard pressed to ind a Bloomingdales, Crate and Barrel, or Pottery barn anywhere in the area)
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:38 AM
JJ5

Well said, Vittrad.

And I was surprised also in Milano, Italia because there is mix as well. It is not all Rodeo Drive types. And exiled princess is right about venturing as well.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I took a bus through the MM going elsewhere, so I saw the names of the shops. Didn't appeal to me either, BUT... it must depend on where you're coming from, I think.

If you're from a big city, like I live in San Francisco, the same shops there. If you're from a smaller place and include shopping in your vacation planning, then you get all nice shops in a small area.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

Mag mile real estate is so expensive that only the chains can afford the rents. A mom and pop store would not last or they'd still be there.

I think the last holdout was a place called Marshall Fields.

I'd suggest appreciating Michigan Avenue for what it is.

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Just another voice chiming in to say that I know what you mean, redshoe. I live in the 'burbs and go into the city on a fairly regular basis. But I haven't been on the Mag Mile in years. It's just not my thing.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM

GoTravel's assessment is absolutely correct, IMHO. You have to have paying customers - and many of them - to meet the rent in this area. And, in fact, most (or all) of the gentrified neighborhoods of Chicago.

Since redshoe has never indicated their budget, no way in answering their last inquiry. However, I suggest that the OP and others take a look at the Magnificient Mile website, which shows all of the establishments in the area, and then go to the individual websites for those stores, restaurants, etc. to determine if that place may interest them based on the goods offered and price.

There are other websites that mention various shopping districts around the city. The neighborhoods usually have websites which mention the shopping options in their areas. A little research goes a long way and helps tired feet.

NOTE: If you are looking for one-of-a-kind home decor items, are you willing to pay the price for them? You'd need to be looking at places such as the galleries, maybe the School of the Art Institute (which has sales and auctions throughout the year), Gallery 37, and the like. Also, if you look at the Chicago Tribune's Home section of the Sunday newspaper, there's usually a little section of more unique home items (which may or may not fit within your budget).
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM

First off, I believe Marshall Fields is now Macy's and is on State Street in the Loop, not the Mag Mile.

However, where can you go and see a dress at Neiman Marcus for $2500.00, go directly across the street to Tiffany's, then around the corner to The Penninsula Hotel (rated the #1 hotel in the US) and have a $28.00 Kobe Beef burger?????

It's an "experience". People watching is among the very, very best.

Curious
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Yes, Marshall Field's is now Macy's, and the original flagship store is on State Street, but they also have a store that anchors Water Tower Place. It's true that retail is becoming more and more a question of national chains, and no, you usually will not find one-of-a-kind places in such a high-rent district as the Mag Mile.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:58 AM
sistahlou

Perhaps you are not seeing what "Magnificant Mile" is because you are looking thru it from a consumers eye.

It is about architecture and city planning. Daniel Burnham, perhaps the most important and influential men behind the legendary 1893 World's Fair. Some of his final work was for the city of Chicago. May aspects of his plan were adopted including the city's lovely ribbon of lakeside parks and Michigan Avenue's "Magnificant Mile"

If you look at it from a historical and arhitectural view, it is truly magnificant, especially when the mile is filled with tulips and daffodils - a truly amazing site!

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

and it's also very very very windy!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:35 AM
JJ5

Yes, the original tag of Magnificent Mile, really didn't have a lot to do with merchandising or retail stores, but with the structure. Not only placements re the lake, but before this era of origin, most boulevards etc. were much, much narrower.

And when I travel and come home, that is the one thing I LOVE about here. And that is the width and breadth of our downtown streets. I especially love the canyon of LaSalle. But all with their extra wide sidewalks. It SHOULD be Magnificent Grid, IMHO.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:55 AM
GoTravel

I guess I should have been more clear in my giving Marshall Fields as an example.

Thank you for picking up on that Marilyn.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I agree with sistahlou & JJ5. It's the architecture, history, and overall feel of the street. From my perspective, it's just the overall vibe. I live in the city and yes, it can be very touristy, but I still love it. It's very clean and always "dressed up." We have 1000's of tulips in the spring and the holiday decorations in the winter. It's just unique.
As for the shopping, as least most of the chains are the flagship stores. So, we have a chance of getting something different than the suburban chain stores. Veering of a bit will get you the very unique shops like other posters have said.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Sistahlou, you're so right about the architecture. To me, one of the prettiest sites in Chicago is heading north on Michigan Ave at night, past Wacker, over the bridge, with the spotlights shining right on the Wrigley Building. Gorgeous. And the original water tower is a gem. The Mag Mile isn't just about shopping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -