What's Not to Love about Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks too all of you who provided answers to the various questions I posted for our trip to Oregon. A special thanks to Tamara (Eurotraveller) for taking the time to give us a quickie tour of some of Portland�s sites that we had never visited. We also shared a really nice lunch in a garden of a restaurant who�s names I don�t know�but it was good!

We started our trip with 3 days in Portland staying at the Hotel Monaco. We fall more in love in with the city with each visit. Spent most of our time just wandering the streets and sitting in outdoor cafes. Checked out the Arts Festival in the Pearl District which was fun and visited the Japanese gardens which we were a bit disappointed in as far as Japanese gardens go... Had fabulous dinners at Le Pigeon (http://www.lepigeon.com/), Fenouil (http://www.fenouilinthepearl.com/)-- lunch there also -- and Caprial�s (http://tinyurl.com/2w9faa). Breakfast at Everett St. Bistro (http://www.everettstreetbistro.com/) was great as were the goodies we picked up at the Portland Farmers market at PSU for our breakfast on Saturday. Terrific Farmers Market (http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/). Had lots of snacks and drinks here and there � memorable ones were at the Pearl Bakery, a dessert at Papa Haydn and drinks at the Vault.

We took off for the coast after stuffing ourselves in Portland. On our way to the coast the great food contiuned with lunch and pie at Otis Café on on Rte 18 not far from the coast...love their pies! Yachats still remains my favorite town on the coast. Once again our favorite place to stay there, the Ziggurat, is being sold, so hopefully it will remain a B&B. We had quite the time finding contact info for this visit as it was. Never had a meal at the Drift Inn as was recommended by a few fodorites. Did sit at the bar one evening and enjoyed their pie and the local atmosphere.

From Yachats we followed the suggestion given to us to go by way of Reedsport and view the elk. Lots of elk to be seen and an absolutely beautiful drive from there to Crater Lake. The route we followed was 101 to 38 to 138�highly recommend it.

Crater Lake is spectacular. Stayed at the Lodge (http://tinyurl.com/3y3l8a) which is good for its location and view. Missed the boat ride as they said it was cancelled a few days last week due to �loss of personnel.� After a couple days driving and hiking about, we headed to Bend. Couldn�t get over the change in Bend from when we were there ages ago. The old town is cute and the surrounding area is still just fabulous. Really wish we had more than 2 days there. Did spend a day at Smith Rock Park � great place for hiking and fantastic scenery. One good meal we enjoyed in Bend was at Blacksmith�s (http://tinyurl.com/36lx88)
Followed one of the the suggested routes to go from Bend to Sisters to Detroit and onto our last day and night in Portland�route 20 to 22. Again such a lovely drive.

Absolutely love Oregon and am so envious of all you lucky people who live there and get to visit all these places�and more�or a regular basis.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we are lucky Glad you saw a bit of our state. There is SO much more to see though, so you need to plan a return trip
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the report, we enjoyed a very nice lunch at Fenouil in the Portland Pearl. Sounds like you had a great time! ***kim***
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, kimamom, we had a fabulous trip. And mms, we're thinking maybe one of these days a permanent return might be just fine for us.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Hi Dona! Thanks for posting your report! It was great to meet you while you were in town and I will see you one day in DC.

Just to refresh your memory, the restaurant I took you to is Merriweather's. They have such a nice outdoor deck! We also went to the grounds of the Pittock Mansion, strolled along the Harborside and drove around a bit in the west hills near the Rose Garden so you could see some of the interesting homes on the hill.

Let me know the next time you are in town.

Cheers!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Thank you!!
Sooo glad you got to try so many good eateries and you did see a lot!
I could really use a gilbassier from the Pearl Bakery, any chance you brought some home with you?
I am happy that you tried some of my favorite places..Portland certainly is a good town for good meals..
Isn't the view from the Pittock Mansion something?! I would stand there and look out over the grounds to the mts in the distance and think how it must have been to see that from your window each day..
Were the Japanese Gardens too small for your taste? I am sorry you were disappointed, I love them.
What did you drink at Vault? lol
kim, if you are ever able to spend a night in Portland on your next vacation..try to have dinner at Fenouil.
Thanks for posting, yestravel!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

eurotraveller--thanks for the memory refresher. I doubt that any tour I give u of DC will have the enthusiasm you have for Portland...I'm a bit more cynical about this coast.

scarlett--what are gilbassier? Did see them on one of stops in the Pearl Bakery and wondered what they were. Yes, the views from the Pittock mansion were beautiful as were the ones near the Japanese gardens. I don't think the Japanese gardens had enough to see or perhaps, it just took us away from all the wonderful eating and drinking and we felt deprived????
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Yestravel, I share your opinion of Japanese gardens. Even the docent tour left me cold. I really, really enjoyed the Chinese Gardens.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM

hi yestravel:
i was so glad to read your trip report.
i am leaving for portland in a few days, and can't wait.

Scarlett:
will try a gilbasssier from the Pearl Bakery. not sure what it is - but i'm up for trying new things!

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Gibassier...http://madeleine.typepad.com/my_webl...poetry_pe.html

Complete with photos so I will let you read and look forward to your first taste..
I had one a day, I think We would walk down in the early afternoon, around 2 , with Pup and sit outside and have cappucino and I would have my gibassier, Yankee preferred their 7 grain rolls..Pup was always served a bowl of fresh water..My favorite wait person at Pearl is Britta...we love Britta, just as Pup ((&))

You know how you have memories connected with taste or smell...that is Portland to me...so many tastes...a few smells lol but a lotta tastes...
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM

thanks scarlett:
am printing out to save the recepe.
mmmm looking forward to a must do trip to the Pearl Bakery.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM

nanabee--The Pearl Bakery makes really good lattes too! But Scarlett got me hooked on those gilbassiers also.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM

yum - one more day!
can't wait.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Faina, we visited the Chinese Gardens on a previous trip to Portland and like you, did enjoy them.

Thanks, Scarlett--gilbassier sound yummy. sorry I didnt try one.

nanabee, lucky u -- have fun!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM

yestravel, small brag here.
The Japanese Gardens and the Chinese Gardens use some of my photos for their ads/brochures
The both accepted discs full of my photos so I never know when where or which ones will go..but it was a treat (and an honor) that they wanted them ..
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Very impressive!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM

congrats Scarlett! i had no idea you were a photographer. will keep an eye out for the brochures. are they at the gardens?