What would you have done?

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you have done?

We just returned from a Thanksgiving trip to Chicago and the musical Wicked. This was a much anticipated event for our family, as we made the arrangements and bought the theatre tickets 4 months ago. When you spend $300+ on tickets, you pray the show is good. Our seats were fabulous, dead center about the 8th row of the balcony. My husband is 6'2" and one daughter is 5'8". The other daughter and I are much shorter. Fortunately, our seats included an aisle seat so my husband could sit on the end and stretch his legs. The play was wonderful, we enjoyed it very much. At intermission, we stood up and stretched. At the end of the play, we collected our belongings and made ready to leave. A woman sitting directly behind DH leaned over to me, pointed to him and tall daughter, and said in a very rude tone and made quite a scene, "Next time leave these 2 at home, they don't know how to behave at the theatre." I was mystified, I knew they had not talked. DH informed me that the woman had asked them to move their heads about 15-20 times during the show and that she was dissatisfied because she could not see. Truthfully, I was so upset by her rude behavior, I almost allowed her to ruin the afternoon. The Oriental Theatre in Chicago truly does have a lot of space between rows and I can't imagine she had that much trouble. Alternatively, she could have asked for a booster pillow, which the small child in the next row had and it raised him about 4-6 inches. What would you have done?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I would not move my head. I'd advise this woman not to disturb me the first time, or I'd ask an usher to call security.

If there is a problem, it should not be solved by attendees.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Yikes! Clearly, this rude, disruptive woman is the one who should have stayed home.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

You did the right thing by letting it go that day, but it's still bugging you. Same happened to us after some people behind us talked & talked. I asked them, somebody else asked them. Then I asked the security guy to ask them. He suggested to them that they could talk outside the theatre. They shut up.

Pis

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I sat next to a nutcase on an airplane recently and had an equally disturbing experience. Honestly, I'd have asked to be seated in the bathroom in only a few more minutes if the stewardess hadn't found the one empty seat on the plane and rescued me. People who were seated nearby came up to me after the flight to exchange stories with me and express their condolences....There are all kinds of people in the world. This experience dominated my feelings about the trip for a few days, then faded into its place as an interesting story, fortunately.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Let the incident go, and be happy you didn't know about the problem earlier, as she could have ruined the performance for you. People like the one's behind you should buy their seats early so they don't have to concern themselves with anyone sitting in front of them. Next time they should purchase box seats (which never offer a full perspective of the stage), front row orchestra (and they can look up and complain of next strain), or the first row of the mezzanine.

Your husband is only 6'2", and your daughter is of average height. What would this woman have done had Shaquille O'Neal been sitting in front of her?

Just be glad that she wasn't sitting behind you in the coach section during a transatlantic flight. She could have been kicking the back of your seat.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
TheWeasel

I agree with FainaAgain. Let the ushers deal with her, rather than allow her to ask your husband over and over to move his head. If she had a legitimate beef, she would've gone to the ushers herself to have them speak to your husband, but seeing as she was in the wrong, she did the only thing she could - disrupt your husband over and over to try to get what she wanted. If I were him, I would've sat up even taller and smiled at her.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM

That lady interrupted your family 15 to 20 times??? I'd say you have the Most Patient Husband & Daughter in the universe!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM
JJ5

There is an epidemic of selfish egotistical "victims" who are entitled to perfection out there right now. aliska, forget her and the whole thing- period. Arguing just gives them more room to move their jaws- ignore them and act with kind forgiveness and it messes up their minds.

I am very short (LOL if you think 5'8" is average in my family). And I live with not seeing much of the time. And I also find main floor top dollar seats can sometimes be the worse for me. But it isn't anyone elses problem. Nor was this yours.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM

You might call them patient. Or they might be pushovers. If they had refused to move the first time she asked, she wouldn't have asked again. Or they could have complained to the usher about her, rather than put up with 15 or more requests/interruptions.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I can't even believe that. No wonder she didn't enjoy the show, she was too busy ruining it for your husband! I am very short (5 foot. even) so I constantly have to adjust myself at concerts and musicals. Oh well! These are the genes I got, right? I would NEVER even consider asking someone else to move. Usually whomever I am with offers to switch seats with me.

I was at a concert here in town a few weeks ago. We were sitting in balcony, second row. Well, these two little girls (ok, they were 16, but little to me) came and sat in front of us when the main band was coming on. One turned around and asked if she was in my way. I was upset b/c I didn't want anyone in front of me so I snapped "you will be if you stand up!" I felt a little bad, but paid no mind. Then I realized she was compromising her concert going experience for me by trying to stay out of my way. I apologized and told her not to worry. I knew it was a concert and that was inconsiderate. I should have adjusted myself so I could see. Which I did from then on out.

Wow, long winded. I really just wanted to say that woman was rude and I probably would have said something rude back to her.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM

People like that are put on earth to make the rest of us look good! What a B**T*... but just let it roll off you for now.. this will be a funny story a few years from now if you let it become so.
Once we were on a flight from UK to Athens Greece.. I put my seat maybe 1/24 of the way back.. (my husband is tall and when you tilt your seat back all the way it hurts his knees) so I never tilt my seat all of the way back.. I am only 5'4" no need!
All of a sudden this gigantic Greek Man, reared up.. leaned OVER MY HEAD.. pushed in the button of my seat control with one hand, while using his other arm to literally FORCE my seat upright! A simple "please put your seat up" would have been enough thank you very much! He did this during a meal and thrust me forward soo strongly that I slammed into my tray table and spilled the contents all over myself! I was nearly crying at the time (jetlag and all) I was upset on and off for quite some time. but you know it's funny now, 5 years later.. though in my mind I just know there is a special place in h**l for that nasty man!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, it was very cathartic getting this out of my system! I worry a lot with my kids behaving at adult events and have taught them from birth to have manners, be polite, etc. There seem to be 2 forces at work here, 1) people seem to be much ruder today than ever before, and 2) someone else always needs to be the culprit and the person is the victim. Well, I have put this off as an anecdote for the future. I am just sorry I was so shocked I couldn't find my tongue and tell her next time to buy the seats not just for her party, but buy the seats in the row ahead of her as well. Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I think you handled it well.

The only other thing I can think of is if your husband/daughter offered to switch seats with her. Then she would have complained about the next row of people and not your family.

Don't let her ruin your memories of the play. She's not worth it.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Fairhope

20 years ago part of my job was to move very seriously mentally ill but not dangerous patients between state hospitals on airplanes (get them there as fast as you can!) I bet people are still talking about some of those people and situations I created. One patient yelled from takeoff to landing -" I can't seeeee the ground". God bless those fellow passengers!

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:24 AM

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm glad that woman doesn't have a season subscription next to me anymore. Last year, I was able to buy perfectly marvelous lower tier seats which I considered quite a coup. Then I learned why. My aisle mate had some kind of compulsive disorder where she would open up a crinkly plastic bag and then shine a small penlight to check her watch. Feeling like Monk The Detective, I began counting her episodes, up to 100 times an act.

I did not renew this year.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Aliska, this woman was way out of line! I would have told her to get a booster seat next time! My mom and I saw the show not too long ago and some kids were behind us and the ushers literally brought them booster seats! I'm 5'8" and have never had anyone complain-sounds like this woman was an old crab!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Aliska, as a former manager in a theatre similar to the Oriental, I agree with the previous posts which say you shouldn't dwell on it and if something similar happens again, let the staff deal with it.

I often had patrons complain to me that they couldn't see because of the person in front of them. I'd explain that our guillotine was broken and offer to move them if seats were available. Usually, when I told them the seats were in the back corner or someplace worse than where they were sitting they'd learn to deal with it.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM

"guillotine was broken" - LOL!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Aliska,

There is occasion when the behavior of some make me think to myself, "Oh, if only I weren't a lady!"

You did the right thing in not allowing it to ruin your day.

When I am slammed by this rude behavior, in order to forget it, I think, it could be worse, SHE could be my mother-in-law instead of the sweet, loving MIL I am lucky enough to have.

That always makes me smile, you may change up the relative form as needed...

Yesterday I was at the grocery store, and while the fella was bagging my groceries, the checker rudely humiliated him in front of all of us by saying, "C'mon Joe, can't you bag any faster, we need to keep these people moving." I looked at poor Joe and said, loud enough for the checker to hear, "How terrible it must be for you to work with someone so mean and rude." Suddenly the sad embarrassed face disappeared, he smiled at me and winked, and I was on my way. It was GREAT !

Long live the nice people, lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -