Search

What to see?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:46 PM
susi

What to see?

What is there to see within a 2 day range from Indianapolis? I will be there on the weekend September 7 to 10, use a rental car and am primarily interested in scenic beauty, nature, wildlife etc.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Tannya

A lot of small town America surrounds Indy. Brown County is very beautiful, especially in the fall when the trees are beginning to turn. The towns there are called Nashville and Columbus. You might be there a bit early for the color but it is still very nice. If you enjoy caves, that area should have some. (Southern Indiana) In 2 days you could be about any place. Depends on what you enjoy. Some great antique shopping in the small towns.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Dave

Nashville and Brown County are definitely worth noting. In addition to the scenery, Brown County is also well-known as a center for folk artists and crafts.

Columbus has many buildings designed by world-famous architects, perhaps more per capita than any other city in the US. There is a fairly new visitors' center signposted off I65.

Bloomington is a nice small town, almost the ideal of a "college town". IU will only have been in session for a couple weeks, but there might already be some cultural activities going on.

South of Bloomington, Monroe Reservoir and Hoosier National Forest might be a good place for wildlife - I know that Bald Eagles have been reintroduced, and there are certainly lots of deer.

Further south, Spring Mill State Park is a pioneer village with a working grist mill. I haven't been there in years, but I'm sure it's still worth visiting.

French Lick is a former spa town which is still something of a local resort.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Message-Titles

Message: Type city name/state/region in your message title EVEN if you highlight a state.
I've noticed a lot of ambiguous message titles lately, and many people responding in frustration along the lines of "Why don't you say what state/city you're talking about?!?!

Posters AND readers may not realize/remember that when you post a message you are given the option of both a message and a 'keyword'.
For example, someone might use "best hotel" as a message and choose "arizona" from the keyword list, not realizing that the keyword does NOT show up in the message title or text, and is only useful for searching among all the posts.

I really enjoy this forum, but I don't want to 'waste' my time reading posts on topics I thought were about something else, nor do I think posters deserve rude (ok, frustrated)
responses to their posts because they are unaware of how the system works.

Think how easy it would be to get answers to your questions if you had typed:

Indianapolis area/early September. Looking for scenic beauty/nature/etc.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Tannya

To: previous poster:
If you don't want to waste your time reading ambiguous posts, why do you continue to do it? I have noted you replying time and again to posts that you say are a waste of your time. Simply avoid reading those posts. The poster certainly isn't looking for your input about how to post, they are looking for a response to their inquiry.