Search

What to pack

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:33 PM
lee

What to pack

We're going to Maui next month and we are wondering how to pack/what to bring in terms of clothes (two adults, two kids). We're thinking of taking a couple of T-shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts, and one long pair of light weight pants each. What do you bring?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:51 PM
colleen

Hi Lee!!

My husband and I came back from Maui in Dec following a 10 day stay. I overpacked and I am glad that I did because you will need alot of different outfits. It all depends on what you are planning to do. You need a couple of swimsuits (i brought 5), a sarong, sunhat, sandals and comfy shoes for sightseeing, sundresses for day and evening (definately if you are going to a nice dinner etc), tank tops and tees.Maui is pretty laid back but it helps to have lots of choices for everyday.The long pants are a good idea-have your husband bring a collared polo shirt just in case you go for a nice dinner.When we were there (early Dec) the weather was perfect-80's and sunny. Have a great time!!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Stephanie P.

Lee:

When I go to a subtropical climate, I always wear cotton, silk and linen, then pick a neutral color scheme (beige, black, white) and mix that color with lime, coral, turquoise. That way you can have alot of different outfits from just a few tops and bottoms.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:58 PM
x

What's wrong with taking 5 swimsuits for a ten day stay? I always take at least seven or eight.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Nicole

Colleen, overpacking means taking to much. You obviously brought enough so you didn't overpack.

I take 5 or 6 bathing suits myself. Yuck, that would be gross wearing the same on over and over.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Lois

well folks, I guess we are all different..?...geeezz why does everyone have to be so sarcastic..I am only about 3 bathing suit person...If someone else wants to bring 7 or 8.. thats their choice

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:17 PM
jo

I take two. One to wear and one to dry, but I use them for swimming

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:48 AM
colleen

You guys are pathetic-i simply gave Lee some good advice regarding her post and I get flack over packing too many swimsuits??FYI-so what if I brought 5 swimsuits?? You need different outfits for every day of the vacation.We stay at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons so need I say more.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:02 AM
aaa

Why would you need a different outfit for every day of your vacation ??
And what does staying at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons have to do with it ?

I detect a little snobbery here !!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Hawaii lover

Gee, I didn't realize that the folks at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons would keep track of your outfits every day! God forbid you wore that skirt on Tuesday and are wearing it again today!

Last I checked, both of these hotels, along with a slew of others, offer excellent cleaning services. I suggest you pack light. Less luggage to haul at the airport and you'll have room in your suitcase for purchases.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:45 AM
x

It's called mix-and-match, like Stephanie said. How many people are you going to see again when you leave the Ritz or Four Seasons?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM
colleen

My how defensive we all are-pack what you like and I will pack as I see fit. In the grand scheme of things who really cares-we all have different vacation experiences.FYI-resort clothing tends not too be too bulky in suitcases(who only brings one suitcase to Hawaii anyway).Cottons, jerseys and swimsuits don't take up much space so you have plenty of room for your purchases from Gucci and Louis Vuitton.I am bored of this post.....,

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:33 AM
lee

Thanks, Colleen. I'm not sure why certain people on this board enjoy being so mean-spirited either. I guess it's easy being a cyber bully/jerk because no one can really do anything about it. It takes some effort for these folks to submit sarcastic replies, so we know it's willful negativity on their part. Thanks to the people who answered with helpful advice, whether other people agree with it or not, the hell with those of you who enjoy being mean. We have too much of that in this world already.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM
colleen

Right on Girlfriend!!!
Honestly, it doesn't matter what you pack-you are going to Maui and are going to have a fabulous time!!!Cheers!!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:51 PM
p.

If you're going to do the Haleakala sunrise thing you'd better have some WARM clothing. Even if not, I suggest a very light showerproof jacket, it does rain in the spring, even last May we had one whole day of solid rain.
The quantities depend on whether you want to use laundry facilities while there (condo or hotel services) or cart it all home ready-to-wash! Also remember you'll inevitably be buying T-shirts etc when there too. You'll have a great trip I'm sure, need someone to carry your bags ?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:49 AM
rg

Lee - We have been to Maui twice with our two boys, (5 nights, 6 days) all I can tell you if you are staying in a Condo, pack light you can wash. I would rather throw a load of wash while relaxing in the evening then lug a huge suit case. (Plus gives you more room to take stuff back!) If you are staying at a hotel you might have to pack a little more if you dont want to stand at the coin operated machines in lobby of hotel. Two swimsuits is plenty. One nice pair of sandles and pair or flip flops for pool and beach. One casual short outfits for each of you for each day is plenty. We never did wear pants/jacket/tennis shoes except on plane. Sundress/skirt/sarong
are all great options. Hats for all of you and good sun screen. The BEST thing we bought for our boys while we were their the first day were - "Rash Guards". We bought them on the way from the airport at K-mart $14.99, they are really light lycra short sleeved shirts that you see the surfers wear. They were great - kids wore them in ocean and pool, really saved them from sun burns and sand burns while playing in the ocean. Have fun!!!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:42 AM
DJ

I agree with rg - she gave some good advice. I've been to Maui over 10 times & what I pack does depend on where I'm staying & what I'm planning to do. Some of you need to get a life!! Does it make you feel better about yourself by being mean & sarcastic to others?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Tina

I'm interested in the swimsuit aspect of this. How many swimsuits do you all own?

Me, I own two and I always thought that was enough! When one wears out I buy another. Now I hear that wearing the same one over and over is gross!

Incidentally I took both to Hawaii - to wear every other day while the other one was drying. Personally I found that to be plenty.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:12 PM
DeeDee

I have about 15 bathing suites that I wear. One of the reasons I have so many is that I live at the beach. The second reason is that I only buy them after Labor Day when they are deeply discounted. I usually pay under $15 for very nice swimwear that retails for around $100. If I paid regular price, I wouldn't own two.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM
x

Pack a hat and sunscreen, SPF 45.

Went out to dinner a lot but nobody wore pants. DH took shirt with collar, I took summer dresses for dinner. Kids took 1 outfit of shorts and shirts for each day plus each of us took a couple of swim suits. We wore all our clothes.

The only time we wore warmer clothes was on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -