what to do in waikiki?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:55 AM
CY

what to do in waikiki?

hi

i'm going to spend christmas and new years in waikiki. any suggestion of what to do? my biggest concern is what do i have to book before i go? Is island hopping realistic at all? i heard flying is expensive and we have already booked the hilton for the whole week. is flying or taking a boat to the island a day at a time realistic?

i'm planning to go whale watching in maui.... any suggestion which one to go with? do i have to book it in advance? thanks a lot for the feedback... i really appreciate it... all these vacation planning made me really nervous.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:15 AM
that's all

Skip Waikiki and go directly to Maui!!
After you see Pearl Harbor, its like any other, crowed, busy, big city, and who needs that?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:50 AM
roy

You may get a few ideas from "Hawaii for Less" under Joyful Journeys at www.senior-infosite.com

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Celeste

I used to do day trips to other islands through Roberts Hawaii in Honolulu. Two round trip tickets and a rental car for less than $200 at that time. And if you want to spend a night there as well, it's only about $50 more.

There are MANY things to do on Oahu, aside from just lie on Waikiki Beach, watch the surfers and outrigger canoes, and listen to the wild mynah birds over your head.

Climb to the summit of Diamond Head. The view is spectacular and the climp very do-able. The drive and hike up to Round Top/Tantalus is much more spectacular but takes longer.

Take the drive around (almost) the entire island by heading toward Diamond Head and continuing counter-clockwise. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay. Watch the boogie boarders at Sandy Beach (but don't go in yourself)and have a teri-chicken sandwich from the lunch wagon there.

You're on the windward side now. Go to Lanikai Beach in Kailua, the most perfect piece of sand and waves around. Kailua itself is also a nice little town. There's a beautiful Byodo-in Japanese temple in the area but I forget exactly where.

Continue up the coast and every twist and turn will result in "Oh, ah!" You'll turn slightly to the left past the Turtle Bay Hilton and then you'll be on the North Shore, home of famous surfers, forty foot winter waves (at the extreme) and the Banzai Pipeline. There are so many beautiful spots...but I like Waimea Falls Park, Waimea Beach, and the town of Haleiwa (DON'T take the bypass!)

Wander Haleiwa and don't miss a shave ice with vanilla ice cream at Matsumoto's. They no longer use the old belt driven ice scraper, but it's still delicious and worth waiting for! My favorite is watermelon or mango with vanilla ice cream.

You can continue on to Waialua and Mokuleia if you want to look around, but ultimately you have to head south toward Wahiawa. Stop at Dole Plantation and try some super fresh pineapple. Wahiawa is a funky old plantation town that has some excellent cheap Korean food.

Then you're heading downhill, through Mililani and Pearl City to Pearl Harbor, then Honolulu and Waikiki.

Honolulu is also a gorgeous city to walk around. Don't miss Chinatown!

Wow, I'm exhausted! Was it as good for you as it was for me?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:38 PM
dakotah

Don't be nervous - just enjoy as you go. I would agree that Honolulu is much like other large cities, but as with other large cities, there is a lot to do, depending on your tastes. In addition to the other posts, I would suggest the Bishop Museum or the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you are not renting a car, try "The Bus", local transportation. There are also usually numerous tours in any motel lobby that they will be more than happy to book you on. On Maui, there are also many whale-watching cruises; HINT: Go as early as possible in the day to avoid the case of possible wind/choppy seas. The Atlantis submarine is also available in Lahaina, plus many shops, restaurants, etc. We did fly to other islands - again, take the earliest flight over; check second-latest flight back. Good luck!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Nancy

We took the catamaran by the company that saves the whales in Lahaina. I prefer the last trip of the day, when the sun sets and you can sit on the front tip of the catamaran, and the waves splash over you, really, it is great, and looking back at Maui as the sun sets is memorable.

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
islander

if you go don't leave valuables in your vehicle while enjoying the beautiful scenery. aloha

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:12 PM
michael bassett

It is as wonderful as you choose it to be. most xmasey city around the people of hawaii ar like no others beautiful kids everyone look healthy, hiking is great the rainbows up in manoa valley is worth the trip to hawaii.
great friendly tennis (at ala moana park) tell the guys an gals michael said hello this is first year in 6 I have not spent dec and jan there and there is not enough time to do it all. just wonder get lost (you really can't) and you'll discover the real hawaii. oahu is great also the other islands hawaii in general all is have there own special flair enjoy!! michael