What to do in Madison, Wisconsin?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:40 AM
Brandi

What to do in Madison, Wisconsin?

My fiance and I will be traveling to Madison the second week in August. We live in Seattle, so we don't know much about the area or activities, but would like to have a great time. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:35 PM
Julia

Hi,

Just got back from there! It's a pretty city, although can't compare to Seattle. Expect flatness, but there are rolling hills and lovely lakes.

The University area is a lively place -- make sure you get some of the ice cream in the Student Union (forgot the brand, but sure others will tell you) -- made at the Ag Sch. dairy, and by repute, on NYTimes' list of 10 best ice creams in US -- NOT low-fat!

State St. has some interesting shops -- if you haven't checked out the Onion (parody newspaper -- theonion.com), you may not know what the fuss on some T-shirts is about, but there's always the standard "cheesehead" reputation of Wisconsin.

More seriously, even if you don't now know anything about architecture, you can learn/appreciate a great deal about Frank Lloyd Wright by taking the 1/2 day trip out to Spring Green, site of his Taliesin East workshop and home and also location for a GREAT summer theater group.

I'm sure you can rent boats on one or another of the lakes. ANd I think there are even some Starbuckses there!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 06:54 PM
dan woodlief

It's Babcock Hall ice cream at the university, and it is available at a few other shops here and there. Definitely try to see as much of the campus as possible. Sit out on the Union terrace by the lake and have a beer and maybe a bratwurst. See the state capitol building, which is much like the U.S. capitol - can't miss it - just walk up State Street from the university. The Frank Lloyd Wright-designed convention center on the lake should be very interesting - it opened a few months after I moved away. There is a zoo (Henry Vilas Zoo), but it is fairly small - located over next to Lake Wingra. The Cheddarhead shop, which is near the capitol on State Street. For other local souvenirs, try University Book Store, located across from the big library on campus at the end of State Street. If you have a car, then I would visit the Spring Green area which someone else mentioned - maybe see the House on the Rock. Wisconsin Dells is supposed to be fun, but it will be very touristy. Milwaukee is only an hour and a half away by car, and Chicago is about 3.

For food, there is a large variety, including about every nationality imaginable. Parthenon on State Street has very good Greek food, especially gyros. Dotty Dumpling's Dowry is highly recommended for terrific hamburgers and fish sandwiches in a unique atmosphere - just off State Street. Pizza is very good in Madison, and of course it is quite cheesy. Try Paisan's at University Square Shopping Center or Edwardo's (excellent stuffed pizza) out on Mineral Point Road near West Towne Mall. For Chinese, the Red Pepper on the East side of town and especially Imperial Palace in neighboring Middleton are very good. State Street Brats is a good place to sample a Wisconsin favorite. Smokey's is a nationally ranked steakhouse located out on University Avenue in the vacinity of Hilldale Mall.

Hope you have a good time in one of my former homes (over 7 years) and one of my favorite cities. I visited Seattle on business a few months ago and had a great time. Snuck in some photography while there.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 01:10 PM
Kristin

Madison's a fun univeresity town,not big but still lots to do. Spend some time roaming State street right downtown. Lots of people watching and many eateries. At one end of State street is the capital blding with lots of great restaurants on the side streets (mostly open for dinner). Along state street you can get food also. At the opposite end of State st. is the Union. Again, like posted above, exit the Union and sit by Lake Mendota. Ask around and find Williamson Street--eat at Jolly Bob's (Caribbean fare)--kind of funky with great food and a wonderful outdoor Caribbean garden to eat in. For Spanish food go to La Paella--south of town on Fish Hatchery road. Also on Williamson St. (known as Willy St. by the locals) go to the Atlas Deli for wonderful sandwiches or Coyote Capers for dinner. Right off the square (near the Capital) is a great restaurant with Spanish tapas and great wine, called The Opera House. Madison can be confusing due to the lakes and the angled streets, so just ask a lot of questions if you get lost. The Canterbury Bookstore is a nice place to hang out and drink coffee and read books (off of State St.)
Try to stay a the B&B downtown such as the Mansion Hill Inn or the Collins House Inn. mansionhillinn.com and collinshouse.com Go to visitmadison.com for more info. Have fun.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 07:16 AM
Joan

Here are some of the more fun & unique things to do in Madison:

Saturday morning Farmer's Market on the Capitol square. A huge assortment of produce and pastries plus street musicians, crafts, etc around State St.

Saturday 10am-noon: Michael Feldman's "Whad'Ya Know" show - national radio show broadcasting out of Monona Terrace - a terrific and funny show to watch.

Rent a bike or rollerblades and ride around Lake Monona's bike path. You can rent bikes/skates at Williamson Bicycle Works on Williamson street (on Lake Monona just down from the Monona Terrace).

Friday evening 5:30pm free jazz concerts on the Monona Terrace rooftop. Also there's music at the Memorial Union Terrace on Lake Mendota on weekends.

Aug 9-14th - Drum Corp. Int'l (DCI) championships at Camp Randall football stadium. It's fun to watch the groups perform.

Olbrich Botanical Gardens - featuring Butterfly Bonanza

Sundays 6pm - Mad-City waterski show at Law park (free) next to Monona Terrace.

(I'd say Wed. evening Concerts on the Square also, but the last show is Aug 4. Very relaxing - you picnic on the capitol grounds and listen to the chamber orchestra).

For food & fun, try the Essen Haus & Come Back Inn - a German-style restaurant with an Oom-pa-pa band and beer served in boots.

Try Paul's Club on State Street for an after-dinner drink (great ice-cream drinks) served under an indoor tree.

For more info, see http://www.visitmadison.com/events.htm

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 10:55 AM
dan woodlief

Just reading the posts and noticed a mistake in my own. The Imperial Palace should be Imperial Gardens.