Reload this Page >

What to do after San Fran?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:06 AM
Lauren

My husband and I are traveling to San Fransisco at the end of June. We plan to spend one night there and then drive along the coast for the remaining 2 days. Any recommendations on where we should stop along the coastal drive? Also any hotel recommendations along the way would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:55 AM
Daniel Boone

Are you heading north or south?

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:50 AM
John

Dear Lauren:
I'd head north along the coast. That way, you get to stop at such scenic places as Muir Beach, Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, the wild beaches of the southern Sonoma coast, Jenner, Fort Ross, Salt Point, Point Arena, et al. You could turn around in several places (but I'd try to drive north as far as Mendocino), and then you could come back along the inland route and visit several wineries.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:59 AM
lisa

If you head south, stay at least one night in Big Sur (for a splurge stay at Ventana or Post Ranch Inn).

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:17 PM
lorie

We suggest driving scenic Highway One heading South to the quaint coastal towns of Montara, Moss Beach, Princeton Harbor and Half Moon Bay. There are many beautiful beaches, B&Bs (we suggest the Seal Cove Inn in Moss Beach), and breathtaking views. All these towns are within 1/2 hour of San Francisco.

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:49 PM
kam

First you must decide whether to drive south or north. Either direction is wonderful, but you can't do both. Seal Cove Inn is Karen Brown's B&B in Moss Beach, but it's considerably longer than 1/2 hour from the city. You could drive to Moss Beach the first day and stay there and then continue on down the coast to Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel for another night and then take the inland route (101) back up to SFO to depart. In Pacific Grove check on the Seven Gables Inn or the Green Gables Inn. There are so many places to stay in Carmel, many of which are on posts here at this site. I wouldn't recommend staying overnight in Monterey. It's very crowded and nice to visit but wouldn't recommend staying there. Alternatively, if you don't want to go as far as Monterey, you could spend the 2nd night in Capitola at the Inn at Depot Hill or at Chaminade or the Babbling Brook just outside of Santa Cruz. That way you could drive over the Santa Cruz Mtns. on your return to SFO. Do note that one night in San Francisco is a bare minimum and you might want to spend more time in the city. If you choose to go north, I would recommend Inverness as a place to stay on the Sonoma coast.

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:53 PM
Daniel

Having spent three years communting to SF, I pretty much covered all the one and two day trips around the bay area, and even did a few longer trips. Of the north and south routes along U.S. 1, I found the north route infinitely more beautiful, if somewhat remote at times. One of my favorite day trips from SF and back was a drive up 101 to the Sonoma wine country then a jaunt over to the coast to Bodega Bay. From there, I'd drive up the coast taking in the incredible vistas then back to Jenner for a spectacular sunset dinner at River's End, a restaurant/inn perched on the cliff where the Russian River meets the Pacific. For a longer trip, I'd take in the same sights and continue on to Mendocino. There are some lovely B&B's there, as well as wonderful dining.
Another side trip from San Francisco is, of course, Yosemite. Even with the crowds, it is an unbelieveable sight. I was flying in from the East Coast, so I made a day trip of it one day by using the hours I gained by the time change to get up depart by car at about 5:30 a.m. There was plenty of time to beat the traffic and it made the morning drive through the mountains on the way particularly enjoyable.
If you do decide to drive south, high points would be the Monterrey Aquarium, Carmel (17-mile drive) and Big Sur.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:15 AM
Dee

If you do go as far north as Mendocino, I'd recommend Rachel's Inn for a B&B. I stayed there a few years back and loved it.

You really can't lose no matter where you go along the coast. It's all beautiful.