Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What time should we leave the Residence Inn in Chicago for O'Hare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Continental flight is at 11:15 am on Saturday. We won't have any bags to check in but won't have boarding passes so we need to print them out in the airport. We'll be taking a taxi from our hotel located at 201 East Walton Place. What time do you think we should leave our hotel? Is there a need to reserve a taxi in advance? How much should we expect to pay? how much to tip a taxi driver?

We need inexpensive (no more than $100 for two with tax and tips) place to eat one evening and within walking distance of our hotel. Any suggestions? We do not eat chinese food.

Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:28 AM
GoTravel

I think the El is the quickest way to get to the airport if you are downtown.

I would leave at least 2+ hours before your plane boards.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:06 AM

On a Saturday morning, barring any big doings in the area, you should be from the hotel to the expressway in less than 10 minutes, and then about 25 minutes to the airport (that's IF there's no hassle on the highway, and that's always a gamble, even on a Saturday morning). If you aren't going to be wrestling bags, the el really is the way to go to assure (or nearly so) a quick trip. However, you either need to walk about 10 minutes to the train at Chicago and State and take it back downtown to pick up the train to O'Hare...or you might want to spend cab fare from your hotel to the Loop train stop. You're in the heart of N. MIchigan Avenue area, so no need to reserve a cab. The train is probably going to take you about 45 minutes from the Loop (that doesn't count getting from your hotel to the Lake St. stop). If it were me, for peace of mind, I'd plan on leaving between 8 and 830, no later.

Two dinner choices - both casual would be Pizzeria Uno or Due (whichever one is at Wabash and Ontario - they're a block apart and despite a lifetime in Chicago and I've never gotten them straight). If you enjoy good cajun food, head across the street to Heaven on Seven in the big shopping mall building. (Either of these would be an enjoyable stroll from your hotel - about 20 minutes.)
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:40 AM

You should consider printing out your boarding passes on line at the Residence Inn prior to leaving for O'Hare. Most hotels have a business center that you can use....
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your useful information.
We are back home after a quick trip. We took a taxi to and from our hotel. Both times with tips, tax and whatever extras they charge we paid $40.00
On Saturday we left at 8:45 and were in the airport in about 20 minutes. It took us 2 minutes to print out our boarding passes and 5 minutes to get through security. So we got to the airport too early. We spent almost one and half hour in the President Club.
We went for a very casual meal one evening to Pizzeria Uno. Thank you for suggesting this place. The other day we had an excellent meal at the LaSalle's Bank private dining room.