Search

What's wrong with the Grand Hyatt???

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM
dht
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with the Grand Hyatt???

I've been reading tons of reviews for the Grand Hyatt New York in Midtown and they have run the gamut from horrible one-star ratings to glowing 4-5 stars. Some folks complain about small rooms and filthy bathrooms; others claim their rooms were spacious and immaculate. I've most got this information from yelp and yahoo travel reviews.

So guys, what's the deal with the Grand Hyatt? Is it luck of the draw when they assign you a room? How comfortable are rooms with double beds (I'm planning on booking this one)? Thank you so much.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM

First, I'd go to tripadvisor and read reviews there. You'll also see photos of rooms taken by travelers, usually more representative than the hotel's photos. I'd guess some of the divergence in opinion has do with price paid and expectations based on that. The Hyatt is a Priceline and Hotwire hotel and is often "won" relatively inexpensively ($120-200/night) on those websites. If you pay "rack rate" you'll likely be disappointed. While it's rated a 4* hotel, it's not terribly luxurious, but a lot of 4* hotels are not. It's an ok somewhat corporate hotel with not very large rooms. It's good for business and if you need to be in that area, but otherwise, it's not what I would chose.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
dht
Original Poster

Thanks for your post, mclaurie. I've also read reviews on TripAdvisor and I've noticed the same trend... Also, it does seem as though the positive reviews were somewhat more general in tone while the negative ones pointed out specific things such as noise, filthy bathrooms, poor room service (apparently a lot of people found filled trash bins when they checked in),etc.

I'm really disappointed about this because I felt that the Grand Hyatt would be the best option given it's location and 4* rating. All of these mixed reviews have really thrown a wrench in my planning process and left me confused.

I am hoping to get 1 room with two beds (doubles or queens) near Grand Central Terminal for 2 nights (hopefully for under $500 total). I don't have much experience with Priceline bidding but I heard that apparently you cannot specify the hotel you want (?) but rather can only give the * rating and price you're hoping to get?

Please help if you can. Thank you so much!
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Just out of curiousity, can you tell me why you want to be near Grand Central? 70 Park, the Kitano and the Shelburne Murray Hill are other hotels in that area that I think are nicer, less corporate and would have rooms with 2 double beds. Which 2 nights (day of week and month) will also affect your price. July and August are always cheaper.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Some other hotels near there:

The NY Helmsley is a block from the Hyatt and has rooms with 2 doubles. It's only 3* but should fit your budget too.

The Fitzpatrick Grand Central is across the street.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:56 AM
dht
Original Poster

mclaurie, thanks for the replies. I'll definitely do more research on the hotels you've suggested.

The main reason I want to stay near Grand Central is because our party of three will take the Metro North to Connecticut on the 3rd day of the trip. We think it's more convenient to have our hotel near there so we don't have to worry about long cab/subway rides with all our luggage. Also, a lot of attractions are close to Grand Central. But I supposed I don't need to stay RIGHT NEXT to the GCT.

I'm also thinking about the Benjamin Hotel... Thanks for all your help and comments.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
J62

I like the Grand Hyatt myself. I get a great corporate rate. Since I take Metro North RR to get into NYC the hotel is right there. Hop off the train, check-in (or drop off my bags if it's early), and get on my way unencumbered.

Rooms are fine albeit small, beds Hyatt comfortable. Works for my purposes just fine.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
dht
Original Poster

ps... we're staying there on the 23rd and 24th of August (Sat, Sun).
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM

The Benjamin is much much nicer and you'd have more space. The Affinia Dumont is also quite nice and has some studio suites with 2 queen beds. If you were using Metro North every day I could understand wanting to be on top of Grand Central, but just to make an exit, it's not a great area for a weekend trip.

There's a special on travelzoo.com for the Omni Berkshire for $229/night.
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM

The Grand HYatt is fine for what it is - esp if you get it on Priceline.

The problem comes from people not understanding New York (almost all rooms are small and there is noise everywhere - except very high floors of luxury hotels - which this is NOT). Or not understanding NYC prices (they think that $200 is high rather than rock bottom).

Also- some people confuse 4* with luxury - rather than with business standard - which is what is really is.

I don;t think there are very many sights that close to Grand Central - and would pick a hotel that I prefer at a good price - rather than worry so much about a $15 cab fare.
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I'm guessing the Grand Hyatt has a rapid turnover in managers and employees.

I've read the reviews, and avoid Midtown East on Priceline and Hotwire if it looks like I may get that hotel.

But, we often stop by for a drink. Sometimes there is virtually no service in the lounge and the place is a mess. Other times, it's a terrific experience.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I've stayed there 3 times and have had good experiences each time. We did join the Passport club (free) for newspaper and coffee each morning and maybe that had something to do with the nice rooms we have always had, I don't know. Our room has never been dirty or tiny and the bath has always been spotless. If you get a dirty room at the Hyatt (or anywhere) I would go back to the front desk and ask to be moved - if that's not possible ask to have the room cleaned. Each time my stay has been a Priceline stay, Passport points were not awarded but the amenities were.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
yk

IMO, the reviews you're describing apply to many hotels, not just the Grand Hyatt.

There are folks who book thru the hotel and feel like they're paying $$$$$ for a room, not realizing the price they paid is "average" for a NY hotel room. These people show up with huge expectations and are obviously disappointed.

Then there are folks who get the room for $100 via Priceline. They tend to take what they're given but not really expecting a 5* hotel experience.

For those people who give a 1* rating and complain about this/that - it'll be interesting to click on their profile and see what other reviews they have submitted before (or what other hotels they have stayed in the past). If these people tend to stay at the Ritz or FS, of course they'll be disappointed at the Grand Hyatt.

Anyway, I get the same feeling when I read reviews of various Heathrow airport hotels. I think a lot of travelers there are business travelers and tend to be pickier than the leisure traveler. The reviews range from "A Dump! Don't stay here!" to "Clean, Comfortable & Nice" etc.

Last year I stayed at one of the Heathrow hotels and expected the worse due to some of these reviews, and my experience was totally fine.

So I wouldn't worry much if I were you.