Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's still open during the Fall on weekdays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are travelling with our 4 year old twins (boy/girl) this Sept./Oct. to New England for the first time. We're staying in Ogunquit, ME, but plan to go to Boston, upper Maine and New Hampshire. We love the Fall and wanted to see the colors, but we understand there's only so much the kids will tolerate. I've posted before (under New England), but looking through New Hampshire, I started to notice that a lot of attractions are only open on the weekends during the time of our travel (Oct. 1st to Oct. 2nd). Help! We only have one weekend and that's going to be spent in Maine. Is there anything left open and operating during normal business days that I can take the kids to in New Hampshire, or even Maine?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM

The Children's Museum that was located near Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH has moved to Dover NH - I hear it is bigger and improved. It should be open all the time. It's convenient to Maine. Also, I believe the Fryeburg ME fair is going on that week and this could be great fun for your 4 yo. We keep midway visits to a minimum. Our family likes to go thru the animal barns and the 4-H kids are great at introducing other kids to their animals. Fryeburg is near Conway NH which is the White Mountains area. Last weekend our granddaughters and a 5 YO friend enjoyed our state fair. You might also find that tractor dealers don't mind letting the kids sit on the tractors. Just ask first. My husband shows his antique tractor and always lets people take pictures of their kids on the tractor. Check the fair schedule for events that would be appropriate for their age. Fryeburg is a really nice fair with great demonstrations. Kids are fascinated by how cows are milked etc.
I would also suggest a visit to pick apples at an orchard. Many have hayrides out to the orchard, some have petting zoos, etc. Check each state's dept of agriculture's PYO listings. Gould Hill Orchard in Hopkinton NH near Concord has a little nature museum in a barn, heirloom apples and a great view toward the mountains.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM

dfnh - I didn't know the Children's Museum moved. My girls used to adore going to that old victorian. Bummer but I sure the new place is great too.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:41 AM

bennnie - our granddaughters are ages 2 and 4 so I hope to visit the new Children's Museum soon and find out! Haven't been there in umpty-ump years.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM

dfnh - such a great age to start to build memories! I bet you and family will have lots of fun together.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM

If you are in the Laconia/Meredith area, you might enjoy dinner at Harts Turkey Farm, fun family dining. Also there is a bit of shopping in the village and lovely views of Lake Winnepauskie (spelling?). Also the Annalee Doll factory would be a big hit with the kids. You might check to see if The Weirs is open in the fall, another family spot.

There's also Santa's Village, a must stop for little ones. I just checked the website and yup you guessed, only open on weekends in Sept and Oct. But the kids will be talking about this place FOREVER.
www.santasvillage.com

Have a fun trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM

You might find this thread interesting: lots of great places for pumpkin patches, hay rides, train rides, adult and child artisan crafts, etc
in the areas you will be

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35154426