Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Big Sur or Carmel like in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take a girl's trip in December to celebrate a 50th birthday . Just looking at photos of The Post Ranch Inn made me remember how fabulous that part of California is. But, I'm not sure what weather in Big Sur is like in December...

Would Carmel weather be good in December?

Also, dumb question, are there any wineries in either of the areas?

Is shopping better in Carmel than Big Sur?

Yes...I really have been to both areas, but we stayed in Carmel and just made a day trip down to Big Sur...had lunch and back for evening cocktails at Sierra Mar.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM

The weather will be bring a jacket, close to the ocean, and Dec. yet beautiful, anytime of the year.High end shopping would be excellent in Carmel, Wine country is very close to there not right there but close enough to find.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM

It will be very chilly. Like the above post stated, a jacket will be needed, at least.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Chilly is fine. Is it typically sunny or foggy? 8-)
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
meo

We've had good luck with the weather, but it is always possible to have some rain or fog. I'd recommend staying in Carmel again and taking a day trip to Big Sur if the weather is nice (if the weather is bad, you won't have much to do in Big Sur). If you are in to shopping, there's so much more in Carmel and even in Carmel Valley. We like to drive to the Big Sur Inn for breakfast, then go to Nepenthe and the Phoenix (gift shop at Nepenthe).

For a girls' trip, it would be great to rent a cottage in Carmel. You can walk to the beach, downtown, and all through the various neighborhoods.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Great idea Meo! I stayed at Tickle Pink Inn before and loved it...but a cottage sounds better! Any suggestions on how to find one?
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
meo

You can email me and I'll give you the name and some info on the place where we have stayed several times.
[email protected].
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM

If a winter storm hits during your trip, Big Sur will likely get the brunt of it. Small rain wont really affect you too much if you don't mind wandering around in a little rain, but a big storm could really put a damper on your plans since the attraction of Big Sur is mostly outdoors. The roads can also be a bit sketchy in a storm.

I would choose Carmel that time of year - more to do on a rainy day than in Big Sur and you wont have to deal with narrow, curvey roads. Like others have said, if there isn't a storm, then a day trip down to Big Sur would be great - or at least to Point Lobos state park, which is right there near Carmel.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM

ITA with J_C and others. Choose Carmel, Carmel Valley or Pacific Grove. With a winter storm, Hwy 1 down to big Sur could be a mess.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 12:39 PM

If you're looking for a cottage in Carmel, Cottages-by-the-Sea, down the street from La Playa Hotel are charming and might not be too expensive if shared by a few friends. Home Port is our favorite--it's a 2- story home with fireplace and eat-in kitchen. Can be viewed on the La Playa website and is 1-2 blocks to the beach.

Carmel now has a few new wine tasting rooms that are fun to walk to:

Galante: the owner's great grandfather was a co-founder of the city of Carmel -- nice Carmel Valley Cabernet.

Cima Colina: Great Pinot Noir -- in the courtyard behind Kocek Jewelers.

The Cheese Shop, Carmel Plaza has varied tastings at their new wine bar. Taste some cheese and bring some back to your cottage for snacks later!

To taste Georis wine in Carmel village, go to La Bicyclette cafe (formerly known as La Boheme). Besides serving lunch and dinner, you can taste Georis wines there anytime--try the Madeleine, made exclusively for Georis by their winemaker from Burgundy.

Morgan has a new tasting room in The Crossroads center off Highway 1 --highly recommended.

If that's not enough, there's also the Carmel Valley wineries of Talbott, Georis--taste one of their wine flights outside in the lovely garden behind the Corkscrew Cafe, and Bernardus, among others.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM

It can be cold and rainy here in December or sunny and cold. We generally get our fog in the late afternoon and it burns out in the morning. There isn't much shopping in Big Sur, especially when you're comparing it to Carmel.

Lots of wine tasting houses here but the wineries are farther east with the sunnier weather. Chateau Julien on CV Road is a local winery you can tour. http://www.chateaujulien.com/visit_taste
_purchase.html

As for cottages, many of our inns in Carmel have cottages and so do some in Pacific Grove. A good idea is to do a Google search and come back for help in fine tuning your choices.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
oceankayaker7

The Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel Highlands offers incredible ocean views. Its 15 minutes from the main shopping area in Carmel. The best shopping is in Carmel ( Saks, Tiffany, Coach )
For a perfect meal in Carmel, I would suggest the Flying Fish Grill. Its an asian fusion restaurant.
For a more intimate dinner, I would suggest Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. Its the perfect setting in the cooler months as they have beautiful fireplaces through out the dining room and one larger on in the lobby. On the weekends, they have live music in the lobby.

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
oceankayaker7

The Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel Highlands offers incredible ocean views. Its 15 minutes from the main shopping area in Carmel. The best shopping is in Carmel ( Saks, Tiffany, Coach )
For a perfect meal in Carmel, I would suggest the Flying Fish Grill. Its an asian fusion restaurant.
For a more intimate dinner, I would suggest Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. Its the perfect setting in the cooler months as they have beautiful fireplaces through out the dining room and one larger on in the lobby. On the weekends, they have live three piece jazz in the lobby.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

My husband and I just celebrated my 50th in October and we stayed at the Highland's Inn which was beautiful. Both this property and the Tickle Pink (right next door) are pricey though, but well worth it!! Our room (#511) had a gorgeous oceanview. It rained one day, but that was OK cause each room has a fireplace and all the wood that you can use. For the big night, we had a memorable, delicious dinner (that we are still talking about) at the Pacific Edge Restaurant. All I can say is WOW! We made a reservation a few weeks before, but stopped by the date before and picked out our table. Huge expanse of windows with dramatic ocean views below. It was a truly special day. Have fun!