What part of Kauai to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our honeymoon to Hawaii in October. We are starting in Maui for 6 days at the Westin (found a great deal through Costco travel). We then have 3 nights in Kauai. The things that we are really looking forward to include exploring Napali by helicopter and hiking, ziplining, pretty much the more adventurous things that we would have missed out on while bumming at the beach in Maui. Will we be too far if we stayed at the South or West side of the island? Also any activities you can suggest would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM

The West side of the island is the Na Pali cliffs. There is no place to stay there so I assume you mean the South and East sides, both of which are easy access to all the things you plan to do. If you don't already know, there is spectacular hiking in Kokee State Park.

Congratulations and happy honeymoon!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I prefer staying on the north shore, but for this short a stay I would say find a good deal either on the south shore in Poipu at the Hyatt or on the east shore in Wailua or Kapa'a. You will be a bit more centrally located for the driving it sounds like you may be doing.

My favorite hike on the island is certainly not the most challenging, but if you time it right it can be extremely rewarding. The Pihea Trail starts at the last pull out at the end of the Waimea Canyon/Koke'e State Park road. It skirts the top edge of the Kalalau Valley. If done early, when it is likely to be clear, you will have amazing views all around. It goes for about a mile and then head towards the Alakai Swamp.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Bob, there are plenty of rentals and a few b & b s on the West Side in Kekaha and Waimea, and don't forget the Waimea Plantation Cottages in Waimea. This area is all considered the West Side. That is probably what the OP meant.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for the quick and useful replies and well wishes! I wanted more time in Kauai but the 6 night Maui Westin deal was too good to pass up. Our time is limited in Hawaii because we have to make it to an annual trip we take with friends, this year to the St Thomas Ritz (I'm not crying over it).

Anyways, I would love to stay at the Hyatt, especially if we can find a discounted rate somehow (ideas?). I was considering the Princeville Resort but I read something about the renovations being delayed, plus with your advice for our short stay I guess this place would not be ideal. Third location we are considering is the Marriott..because we are getting married at a Marriott we will have tons of points that we can use towards the stay. I am excited about the Kokee State Park. Countdown to October has started!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Check out the Marriott Waiohai in Poipu. It is a condo-style resort in a great location in Poipu. Lovely ocean views, etc.

The Princeville St. Regis would be a great honeymoon hotel, but like you said, it may not be open by then.

Regarding the Hyatt, check the website for the hotel, they often have these coupon that you can buy that end up saving you money. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but there are few around here that have done it and saved a few $$. Maybe they'll see this and respond.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM

The Marriott Waiohai is really nice. The rooms, which are nice, are 2BDR condos, not even sure if they rent just individual rooms. The grounds are gorgeous, and there are two pools, one of which is a "quiet pool". It's on a nice beach, too. If you look at TripAdvisor, the "traveler's photos" are very accurate. Be aware that the property is set up like a horseshoe. Only two buildings have oceanfront rooms. Of all the other rooms, every room that faces the ocean is considered "ocean view" and the others are all "garden view". Some of the "garden view" rooms overlook the parking lot....so just be sure you get oceanview or oceanfront if you go for the Waiohai.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I love the Kauai Marriott in Lihue. Not quite as much as I love the Hyatt, but if I had points and could save $1,000+ over 3 nights, the Mariott would be my choice. Very convenient location, centrally located for day trips in either direction. Close to heliport for helicopter ride. Large pool complex with multiple hottubs, spacious lawn area, excellent beach. Plus Duke's restaurant is a great place.
Do you know yet where you plan to hike and zipline? That would influence my decision on where to stay for a short trip since I like to minimize time spent in a car and maximize time spent outdoors!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM

The Grand Hyatt in Poipu is definitely a very beautiful resort---in my opinion one of the prettiest, most romantic in Kauai. The Marriott in Lihue is on Kalapaki beach which is a fabulous beach---easy for swimming, bodysurfing, boogieboarding, and has no rocks under water to hit your feet on (as you will find in the beach in front of the Hyatt). Plus it has a long pretty grass area for sitting in the shade of palm trees. Both resorts are simply heavenly.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Only the Marriott in Lihue is available if using points. The best I found for the Grand Hyatt is stay 4 nights get your 5th free, which doesn't help me...or the Ocean Getaway rate of $395/night. Based on your responses, and considering we will be at two top-notch resorts before and after this one, I'm leaning towards using points at the Marriott. Thank you for the input!