Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What "out of character" things have you done whilst on vacation.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a middle aged woman the wrong side of 50. A few years ago I went to Thailand with my husband and a couple of friends. One night we went to a crowded bar, full of noisy U.S. Marines and with scantily-clad girls on stage dancing around poles. Not our type of place, but we thought we'd have one drink, then move on. 6 drinks later we were still there. The music was loud and the place was buzzing, then to my horror I found myself leaving my chair and getting up onto the stage and grabbing myself a pole.The Marines went wild, shouting and whistling, but my husbands face told me that he was not amused, this made things worse and I started to gyrate around the pole.I was wearing shorts and vest with a shirt over the top, the girls tried to remove my shirt but I was having none of it. After about 10 minutes I returned to my seat, my husband threatening divorce! However the Manager of the bar came over to me with a glass of champagne, said it was the best pole dancing he had seen and said if I wanted a permanent job, there would be one for me. My husband remained traumatised for the remainder of the vacation, but now a couple of years later, we have a good laugh about it. What made me do it? Booze, atmosphere, rebellion, or a combination of all 3? Or maybe when on vacation we can adopt a different persona, knowing we will probably never see the people again.This is definately not a tale for my grandchildren!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:04 AM

I, and the group of friends I sometimes travel with (in our verry late 30s and early 40s), have well-established "Bar Aliases" that we use whenever convenient. Therefore, we never do anything "out of character" when we travel; we simply assume the alias and what happens is "in character" for that name.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM
GoTravel

I think it was more the alcohol than the vacation that made you act out of character

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:21 AM

It sure sounds like it. 50+ and offered a job "pole dancing"? I think not! And I've never met a Marine who would prefer a 50+ American woman to a 20+/- Thai woman.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:30 AM

Having witnessed the escapdes of a very staid and conservative Austrian couple in their 50's after they'd consumed a few bottles of Thai whiskey, I don't doubt the OP's story. I'm sure the Marines were having fun with the antics. (BTW, the next morning the Austrians were mortified as other hotel guests pointed out where she'd left her underwear.)

In terms of out of character, that happens whenever I'm in Vegas. I go from being a fairly conservative banker to Frank/Dino circa 1962.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"This is definately not a tale for my grandchildren!"

Nor is it a tale to share with strangers on the internet. Yuck. TMI.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:49 AM

I have done some things in Vegas that are best left there....but

I will share a New Orleans story. While walking on Bourbon St. one mornig very near the pink/rainbow flag region with a homophobic buddy (our wives were not along on this trip) another tourist guy, wife and daughter walked past us going the other way. For some reason the man of the family felt the need to snidely comment about "you boys" having a good time over there.

Without losing a step I lisped back that he should have seen us last night. The reaction of the guy and his family was precious but not near as horrified as my buddies!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:08 AM

Wow. I saw the title and was going to post about my bungey jump in New Zealand, but this thread is way beyond that tame behavior.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:28 AM

Yes, but I'm not going to provide details.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:33 AM
GoTravel

Suzie, was it the thing with the thing?

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
iceeu2

GoTravel, I'm sure Suzie is speaking of that other thing!

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM

Yes but a little modified with the other thing, ya know.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:40 AM

Awwwww cmon Suzie, and others

Step out, nobody knows who you really are and if you are telling the whole truth. ;-)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:44 AM

Suzie, for future reference start with the phrase "It wasn't me, but a friend of mine...."

This way, you'll be able to tell your story and have us think that it wasn't you. Of course, we will know it's you but at least we'll all pretend like it wasn't.

So, now what did your "friend" do?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM

LOL. My friend was too shy to actually blurt the whole thing out but she was really relieved to not have gotten caught!!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
GoTravel

Did you burn the negatives? I thought there were photos taken?

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:20 AM

Ugh, photos? My friend didn't take any photos. Have you seen photos?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM

Flup - you go girl!

My last vacation my friends and I took a yoga class at our resort, and our instructor told us we should come back later for her cardio-strip tease class. So we did, and had lots of fun. It did involve some pole dancing. She then asked if we would perform in the show that night, so we did...in front of a bunch of 60 year old Canadian couples. And I wasn't even drinking.
--------------------
On every trip with my best friend we somehow manage to be wined and dined by men we meet...even got a guy we met in Daytona to take us to Disney, his treat! I received three marriage proposals from strangers I met on vacation. All this is out of character because the whole time I've had a boyfriend at home. Yeah it's probably wrong to do (poor saps...they spent all this money and time and never got a thing from me) but it has certainly made my vacations more interesting.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:26 AM

Are you kidding? This is exactly the kind of story your grandchildren will LOVE someday. It's your kids who won't believe it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Don't worry folks, I was under no illusion that the Manager was serious and certainly not the Marines! It was just a bit of fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -