Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What MUST be booked ahead for Yellowstone and GTNP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
hax
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites!

Our family of four (with two girls, 20 and 17) is leaving for Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, and GTNP July 19.

Planned much of it with your help: --Four nights at Spring Creek Ranch
--One night at Lake Yellowstone Hotel
(all we could get) with dinner at 8:30 PM
--One night at Canyon Lodge (no dinner reservations yet)
--Last two nights at Spring Creek

But am wondering what else we need to book before we leave?

For instance: Do we need to book a float/rapids trip ahead of time? DH is not keen on anything with ANY water so am not sure if we will do a white water trip or float. Do level two trips exist? Would a grown man/non-swimmer be afraid on a level three? Or should we stick to a float trip? (Are they boring?)

Just read a post saying you should book your Jenny Lake boat ride ahead.
Is that true? How far ahead?

Must we book ahead for the rodeo in Jackson Hole (prefer to wing it-- would you even recommend it)?

Dinner reservations in Jackson or Jenny Lake/ Jackson Lake Lodge?
Don't mind making a reservation or two ahead (we like to eat at nice places) but would like to be a little spontaneous.

Finally, where should we eat while at Canyon Lodge? Can you drive to OFI or Roosevelt? I read the restaurant at Canyon wasn't very good.

Thanks so much. I'm sorry for so many questions--have never been and we are looking forward to it!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
AlJ

I can only help with some of this. We approach Yellowstone quite differently.

The food in the Canyon dining room wasn't that bad. We were there a couple of weeks ago. I prefer Roosevelt though. Its maybe a 40 minute drive from Canyon. Maybe not that long. After dinner you could cruise Lamar Valley before heading back to Canyon.

You'll need reservations for dinner at Jackson Lake Lodge. At least for the dining room. Not sure how far in advance. Personally, I'd give a shot a couple of days in advance just to keep the schedule open. We ate both evening meals in the bar. Same great views. The menu was more limited but OK with us. My wife liked it there.

You could also check Signal Mountain Lodge. We didn't eat there but their restaurant is right on the water in a very nice setting.

Can't help with white water or float trips, we're more inclined to do that at home and look for wildlife at Yellowstone.

Have a great trip
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:27 AM
maj

We also approach Yellowstone differently, but we don't have two girls with us those ages that we want to enjoy the trip also (understand totally). We took a float trip in the Tetons from Signal Mountain Lodge. DH can swim, but isn't all the crazy about the water either and -- I don't think I could have gotten him to take a whitewater trip. The float trip is a calm trip -- you can take your cameras and won't get wet. We enjoyed it -- the scenery is great and they try to find animals for you. It isn't that long and although your girls may be bored with the trip itself, all the guides we saw were young, very enthusiastic young men which would probably make the trip more interesting for them (I know it would for my daughter at that age). And if they have cameras, they can take pictures all along the way. There are many different companies that do this and from what I have heard there really isn't that much difference between them. As far as booking you may be able to do this when you arrive (since you will be there 4 nights (assume you are taking this while at Spring Creek Ranch). Not sure how fast they book up at that time of year -- you might want to call Spring Creek and ask their advice. I'm not familiar with it -- assume it is near Jackson.

Reservations -- other than Old Faithful and Lake Yellowstone I'm not sure you can make reservations at other places in the park for dinner. The Obsidian Room at Snow Lodge is good. Since you have only one night at each of those destinations, I would probably wing the night at Canyon and see where you end up that day. You can go to Roosevelt or OF from Canyon, but it's a long way from Lamar to Old Faithful. I thought the restaurant at Canyon was fine also.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I can also only help with some of your questions.

You've gotten some good info on the raft/float trips.

We've spent a week at Jackson Lake Lodge and a week at Jenny Lake Lodge - both in early July. The dining rooms in those 2 hotels were the only places where we made dinner reservations (and usually the same day), especially if you want Sunday brunch at Jenny Lake (which was an amazing meal). Everything else was pretty much a spur of the moment and didn't have any problems.

Jenny Lake boat trip was booked a day ahead, but would suggest more than that if you want a specific time.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM

If your husband is a non-swimmer and not keen of anything on the water, taking him on a Class III rapids white water rafting trip is a really bad idea. He will need to be paddling while in the rapids, which can be difficult if you're nervous/afraid. And if you fall overboard, you need to remain very calm and level-headed.

Instead, do a scenic float trip, which is less than a level 1 rapid because it's essentially flat.

Here's a sample river co. in Jackson, WY. I did their rapids trip last year and really enjoyed it. If you browse through the site, you'll see pictures from the whitewater trip so that you can better gauge what is appropriate for your husband.

http://www.mad-river.com/

...that being said, the white water trip was one of the highlights of my vacation there. Your girls would probably love it. If there's any way to split up for part of the day and let others in your group do the white water tour, I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Understand your concerns w/ white water trip. I was concerned about my youngest son being afraid but enough action not to bore older two boys. I got info from Barker Ewing online and called and talked w/ them - very helpful and put my concerns to rest. It also depends on time of yr and water levels. I highly recommend the float/whitewater/brunch trip and by the middle of the trip, my youngest was shouting, "Bring it on"! Everyone is required to wear life vests the entire trip (at least for the whitewater and can't remember for the float) so a non-swimmer wouldn't feel singled out. Maybe if you talked w/ someone at Barker Ewing-or any other company they can address any concerns and you can make an informed decision.

I always like to make reservations and did for Lake Yellowstone/OFI/Jackson Hole Lodge wks/months in advance. It is much, much easier to cancel than to make them later. We walked in the OFI dr while others were moaning in the lobby about no rm or 1 1/2 hr wait. I believe Jenny Lake requires a jacket in the evening or did yrs ago which we did not want to do.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM
hax
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies and good info. I guess we will wing dinner the second night in Yellowstone, and perhaps make a few reservations once we're in town for Jackson and the Tetons (Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake).

Beanweb24, I think you are right about my husband not enjoying the whitewater. I was hoping there might be a level 2...just a little bit of excitement. We will probably chicken out and do a float trip instead, unless DH wants to golf while we raft.

dfr4848, thanks for the info on the Jenny Lake boat trip. Good to know we can book a day ahead.

maj and AIJ, thanks for your replies. Could you explain furthur what you mean by approaching Yellowstone differently? Do you mean you'd spend more days there than in Jackson Hole? Or something else? (That was sort of a function of room availability in Yellowstone.) Any thing I ought to rethink?

We are not early risers by nature, but we do love to hike. Unfortunately, I just last week got hobbled with plantar fascitis--am worried I won't be better in time!

Thanks to all. I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM
maj

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to visit those parks. You can't possibly do everything so you sift through people's comments and decide what is right for you and your family.

We are adults who starting visiting the national parks in our early 50's and definitely have a different agenda than those travelling with their children (been there, done that also so understand that the trip is also for them). We really don't have an interest in the activities -- it was on our third trip out there that we did the float trip and trail ride (and drove Beartooth Highway for the first time). We don't really care where we eat when we are there -- usually eat something for breakfast (or take with us), snacks during the day and eat somewhere at night. Usually leave our room in the early morning and return after dusk. We have seen all the sights (geyser areas, etc.) at least 3 times and our main objective now is the animals. We still go to the attractions and enjoy them, but nothing is planned much -- partly because we usually try to go before or after the busy season starts.

Last fall we spent 6 nights in Yellowstone and 4 in the Tetons. We were not bored at all and still hated to leave. We also spent 3 nights in West Yellowstone once and were able to stop at all the attractions. Most people will tell you to spend more time in Yellowstone (people overbook and cancel so you possibly will be able to get another night in Yellowstone), but if you are happy with the way you have it planned -- go for it. If you leave the Tetons in the morning you will have part of that day in Yellowstone and also can spend most of the day after you leave Canyon there before travelling back down to the Tetons if you want. That gives you more time in Yellowstone. You probably won't have time to do any longer hikes there (which we didn't do either actually until our third trip), but will do plenty of walking around the attractions. It actually is easier on my knees, etc. when I am out there -- not walking on hard concrete all the time.

Definitely do the Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point hike at Jenny Lake. Continue on the Cascade trail for as long as you want (it is pretty flat). You can also walk around the Lake back instead of taking the ferry.

I'm just explaining our way of "doing" Yellowstone. Again, I don't think there is a right or wrong way. There is so much to do and see that you can't do it all anyway. I think it is great that you are taking your girls there. I wish we would have taken ours when they were younger.

Sorry this is so long. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
AlJ

Since you asked, I'll explain our differences. This isn't to note anything bad about your approach.

We go to Yellowstone to see wildlife. We get up early (5:00) and head out. We eat breakfast when we get ready, usually from the ice chest. Lunch is the same. It gives us good flexibility if not great food. Turkey roll-ups is normal for lunch.

We can hit nice restaurants at home and don't get too excited about them in the park. If its convenient, we'll hit a nice one but usually not. That said, the bison sirloin at Roosevelt was quite good in my opinion.

We're not big on white water but would do that at home, if at all. I might try a float trip but haven't yet. (I understand you can see wildlife on them.) I'd rather be in Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley with my scope. That's just me.

A comment on your husband without knowing him. He may well not like level 3. I'm not a great swimmer and not a big fan of white water rafting. He may be different.

Your trip is exploring that area with a quick look at Yellowstone. We generally head to Yellowstone and have to be pried out. Just different interests.

I do wish we could have gotten our girls out there when they were younger. Now we'll have to wait for our granddaughter to get older.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Hi,
Heading to Jackson, GTNP and Yellowstone next week. The only activity I booked was the whitewater rafting trip with Barker-Ewing as they said it was a busy time of year. Was curious if you know how long the Jenny Lake boat trip/shuttle is and does it run often. How much time would you need to do the hike to Inspiration point and return. We only have two days in Jackson and want to see as much as we can. Would also like to horseback ride (beginners) but may wait for Yellowstone. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:08 AM
AlJ

The Jenny Lake boat ride goes every 15 or 20 minutes. It was $9.50 per adult. I didn't pay attention to kid prices.

We didn't go to Inspiration Point. I'd give it an hour and a half not including the boat. It depends on how fast you hike up-hill. You go past Hidden Falls too and they're nice. We actually went up hill from there to a point and enjoyed the view. We turned around there because we didn't feel like climbing the rest of it and had other things to do.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Hi Hax,

As for the white water, there's plenty of companies that does that so I think booking a day in advance should suffice. Since you mentione you DH isn't into water that much, you may want to consider doing a kayak trip down lake yellowstone instead. Kayaks are very stable and your DH may feel better that he is in control of the boat. No experience needed to do this tour. Getting on a kayak is super easy. In Lake Yellowstone, you get to see the geysers right on the water so this may persuade him to try it vs white water. I haven't done this particular trip yet although have done many kayak trips in the past. We are however booked to do this trip in Late August so it would be too late to tell you how it went.

As for white water and how the rapids will be, during later in the season, the waters aren't as high as say June. When we did the snake river last, it was in early September (right before the season ended) and there was still enough white water to thrill me so I can imagine your DH may no be too pleased. Here's the company that we booked with. It's a half day trip.

http://www.oars.com/wyoming/yellowstoneparktours.html

Good luck and have a blast!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
hax
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. Kayaking on Lake Yellowstone does sound fun. We may look into it! But as we currently have 6 nights in Jackson (as opposed to only 2 in Yellowstone), I still want to do something on the Snake River. I am pretty sure we will stick with the float...then see if DH wants to also do a kayak in Yellowstone. I know my younger daughter would love it.

Now that it is getting closer, I am wishing we had more time in Yellowstone. Am going to post a new itinerary question regarding our short time there!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM

they have kayak trips out of lake jackson too in the tetons... WE're doing an overnight one from signal mountain lodge to grass island but I think they have day trips and even half day trips too.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
hax
Original Poster

So! Have been rethinking our number of days in Yellowstone. Checked the website, as I had a million times, and of course no rooms. But then I decided to call.

Hurray! To my happy surprise, I was able to add another night..this time at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Seems the park usually has more availability when you call than online. Wish I'd know that before!

So now we are at Spring Creek Lodge three nights.

--Drive to Yellowstone Tuesday AM and stay at Lake Yellowstone Hotel one night (with dinner there now at 8 PM.

--The Old Faithful Snow Lodge the next night (with dinner at Old Faithful Inn (another happy surprise) at 8:30PM

-- And then Canyon Lodge Thursday night (no dinner) followed by two more nights at Spring Creek.

To all those who have struck out getting rooms at the park, do try to
call!

And now I have to replan my itinerary
in the park--but I get an extra day!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM

You'll love YS. We got back last week on our first trip to YS. Our 14 year old daughter went with us. We stayed 3 nights in YS at different locations and tons of wildlife. Do take time to see Castle Geyser if you can. Even if it means waiting two hours for it to erupt. It was just fantastic. Take a picnic lunch or play cards while waiting on it. The float trip along the Snake River might be the ticket over white water rafting. We saw some wildlife on our float. They do Breakfast floats, dinner floats, photo floats, etc.