Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your nicest experience meeting a stranger on holiday or living in a foreign country?

Search

What is your nicest experience meeting a stranger on holiday or living in a foreign country?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was living in London and wanted to make a Thanksgiving dinner for my hubby (then my b/f). I was incredibly homesick at the time. I set out a week before, searching the city for ingredients that would be as authentic as possible. I even had mom airmail Libby's pumpkin pie mix.

Anyway, I started at 5 a.m. on the big day (by the way, that was the day I realized British kitchens suck) and by 7 a.m. I realized I had no cranberries (cue dramatic music, please....)

I ran off to the local green grocer without much hope (on the way, I'd concinved myself there wouldn't be any, and that I could just use frozen raspberries.) I was shocked to learn they had fresh baskets of them. But, a woman beat me to it; she was buying up all they had left. Our eyes met and she must have seen my desperation, because she blurted out, "Are you doing Thanksgiving, too???!!" She insisted that I take two of her baskets, saying, "I'll improvise. You MUST have cranberries on your table tonight!"

Turned out she lived down the street from us and she and her husband and daughter came over the next night for a leftover potluck.

I never saw her again, but it just about made my year. I was going through a rough time at work there, and people seemed really, really cold and her nice gesture was so welcome and just made me feel sooo good. I think about her all the time.

Anyone else out there have a great experience like that?
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

Oh so many. But one in particular was standing in the Tokyo subway just after arrival. We were trying to figure out the system and probably could have done so, but we were approached by a quite elderly Japanese man who very slowly, but in perfect English said "May I help you?" He proceeded to help us buy our tickets and lead us to the right train. He was going the same direction and getting off one stop before us and made sure we knew what we were doing. I thanked him for his help for being so nice to strangers and he said he had traveled in the US and people had been so kind to him there, it was his way of "paying" us back. I asked where he had gone in the US and he said he's stayed with friends in Brook Green. When I said I didn't know where that was, he just kept repeating it and looking at me like I was crazy for not knowing. He even said it was the biggest city in the United States. "Brook Green", I asked? "Yes", he said. It wasn't until a few minutes after he got off that I was repeating what he had said in my mind and suddenly the light bulb came on -- Brook Green -- Brooklyn.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:13 AM

I am remeinded of when I backpacked Europe in college and was on a train in Italy. There were so many train strikes there in the mid 80's (maybe still are!) They would just stop on the middle of the tracks for sometimes hours on end.....
I was with a couple of boys from my University and we were so hungry, no dining car and the train had not stopped for almost a whole day.
A very ominous looking young German guy turned out to be our saving grace. He shared his food with us - cucumbers, tomatoes and water. He played cards with us and was so sweet to share with a bunch of strangers! do not judge a book by the cover as they say.......
Anne
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM

atilla,

I think you're mistaken-travdog has numerous posts. I think this might be bunch, though:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34529867
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM

Maybe I am mistaken elberko?? I was under the impression that travdis and bunch were one and the same though.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM

atilla, yes travdis is bunchargum. I THINK the latest incarnation is "falafel".

travdis/postwhileworking/travellerquestion/lowell/Justineshapiro/Andytrav/Fatgirl/Bunchargum
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

My husband and I were in Italy this past March, and not speaking Italian kept us from having any real conversations with the people we met. Towards the end of our trip, we ended up in a small restaurant in Venice and were seated very close to another couple, much younger than us. As the dinner progressed, we couldn't help overhearing everything they said and did: they spoke accented English to the waiter. At some point, I caught the woman's eye and we both said at the same time that the other's food looked very good. That led to a three hour conversation and spilled into the Irish pub across the street for pints of Guinness. We bonded immediately with this young French couple and had the most enjoyable evening of that trip or any other trip, actually. We hugged at the end and have kept up with each other via email since, and may go visit them in France next year. One of the things I loved about them was their obvious delight that we were Americans who didn't prejudge their being French, and we felt the same. It reinforced my observations that Europeans don't dislike Americans, only American foreign policy and Bush.

Another fond memory is a trip to Ireland a few years ago in which we struck up a conversation with a couple in a Galway pub while we were listening to a wonderful session. We ended up pub hopping with them, looking for more music. It turns out they were also American, and were touring around Ireland in their sailboat! They invited us to visit them on their boat the next morning, where we had a cup of tea and another great conversation. We haven't followed through with them, however, which I regret. These kind of experiences really enhance travel and stay with you a long time. Sorry this is so lengthy!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM

My parents were staying in an RV park on the upper West Coast of Vancouver Island, BC on Sept 11, 2001...the park closed although they allowed people to stay as long as they like and after a while they were the only RV there...shortly, the same day another RV pulled up next to them...soon a knock came at the door and my mother answered and a short, kind British woman said "I think it's Hug An American Day, I'm so sorry about what has happened"...They have been friends ever since and my parents have bought a condo on the Inner Harbor in Victoria where they will now spend 6 months a year...I met them this summer when visiting and it is an amazing place with amazing people...
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

What nice stories!

A friend of was in Dublin duing a bus/train strike a long time ago and had all these sight seeing things she couldn't do easily. She got to talking to a cab driver and he offered to take her and her friend around all the sights because he felt like it was a shame to miss out on everything. So, after he convinced them he wasn't a rapist, they met him the next morning, assuming they'd be paying through the nose for his little tour. He actually announced he was turning off the meter as soon as they got into the car. Later, he took them to a pub to have dinner with his wife (now, that's a good marriage-Hey, honey, I'm just going to drive these two American women around for free today, see you tonight!)

They are still friends and recently visited over here in California.

Isn't it great to meet such generous, decent and friendly people while traveling?
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM

Also on 9/11...my wife and I were facing an extended stay in Rome, supposed to fly home on 9/12/01 after what had already been a 10 day vacation. Italians came up to us at dinner, offered the use of their cell phones, their condolences, and strong sympathies. Back at the hotel two nights later (still stranded), the evening clerk opened the bar when we returned home from dinner and poured us drinks well into the night, expressing his admiration for our country.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM

Last Spring when we were at the Sonoma Mission Inn, I was sunning by the pool after breakfast. I ended up chatting wiht a very nice woman from Canada who said her girlfriend was treating her and four other ladies to a week at the spa.

They had been there for a week and had done every treatment the spa offered. The friend also was treating them to dinners all over the area each evening. Man, I wish I was her friend, too! LOL ***kim***
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:53 PM

In Feb 2001 my sister and I went to Tahiti. We met a mother and grandmother from Florida at our hotel and had dinner with them at the hotel a couple of nights. They were there to meet their 18-20 year old daughter/grandaughter who was sailing around the world on a old ship. It was one of those non-glamorous boats where you do all the work yourself but they went to some of the most amazing places. We got to meet her and we all had dinner in town one night and at a luau at another hotel. They were a lot of fun to talk to, very openminded and it was great to see a young person live out a dream like that.

On another trip to Grand Cayman my husband and I met an older couple at our hotel who we had dinner with several times and went on some sightseeing trips. One night we celebrated his birthday at the hotel with a cake the hotel provided. They were so nice, they bought a videotape of our trip to Stingray City and sent us a copy of it! I was thinking of that trip recently after seeing the devestation of hurricane Ivan on Grand Cayman. It's always nice to unexpectedly meet someone that you can share experiences with when your abroad.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:14 PM

This is actually an experience my parents had this past April in Italy. My mother was taken to the Emergency room in Rome with a very badly swollen, discoloured leg. It was extremely difficult for them to find out what the Italian doctors diaganosis was, never mind understand any of the treatment she was recieving. None of the staff at the hospital spoke english (not well enough to explain medical issues anyway).

As it turned out there were several people who through nothing but sheer kindness, went to the hospital with my step-dad and translated and did various other generous favours. Several people who knew some english made a point of visiting my mother on a daily basis during her hospitalization which turned out to be a month.

Most of this was unbeknownst to me back home as the info that I was getting was very sporatic. But, now I like to think there are generous little guardian angels all over the world. Mom made it back home safely thanks in part to these selfless people.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM

Okay, not a story about someone being kind/helpful, but it is probably my most memorable experience spending time with strangers while on vacation.

Two years ago, we spent a few nights in Grindelwald, Switzerland, as part of a trip to Switzerland and northern Italy.

One night after dinner, at about 9pm, we walked back into our hotel (The Gletschergarten) and heard music coming from the piano room. We wandered in and joined several other people who were there: a couple from Japan, a couple from The Netherlands, a man traveling alone who also was from The Netherlands, and a couple from New York City. Pretty soon, the proprietor, who is originally from Denmark, joined us. The Japanese woman and one of the Dutch men played piano (very well, I would add), and we proceeded to spend the next four or five hours drinking, talking, and singing. The proprietor kept bringing out bottles of wine and other spirits and snacks. It was a very memorable evening -- one of the things that really put an exclamation mark on our trip.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM

These ARE wonderful heartwarming stories!

I have two:

In an airport in Germany on our way to Essen to work at a weeklong equine trade show, we met a German couple (we are American) in the seats next to ours, and struck up a conversation.

They offered to DRIVE us to Essen - waaay out of their way since they live in Dusseldorf - so we would not have to take the train - and they drove down and took us out for sightseeing, a pub crawl and a wonderful dinner.

They have since come and visited us twice in the States and we stay in touch.

#2 - During our taxi drive to the hotel on our trip to Tobago, we hit it off with the taxi driver, and he offered to be on call during our trip. Whenever he couldn't make it, he sent his wife, and she was just as delightful. We spent much of our 10 day trip with them going to local restaurants and night spots, and visiting with them and their children. We've also had them stay with us during two US visits.

Whenever we're asked what we like most about traveling, the answer is almost always the people!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM

My husband and 17 year old daughter and I arrived at Milpensa airport and went to the hotel we had reserved for the first night. Next morning we wanted to explore Milan, but our daughter really had jet lag so it was decided she would sleep in and we would return in 4 hours. After several espressos we went into a beautiful but small leather shop. Suddenly I needed a bathroom. Asked the daughter of the owner if they had one. She said "si, si" and directed me upstairs. To their personal apartment!! I was shocked, needless to say. She directed me to the bathroom. And than went downstairs to their store. So there I was in their precious apartment all by myself. When I returned to the store and tried to thank her she acted as though it was nothing. Needless to say that we purchased a beautiful leather bag from them. Would have bought something, anything, even if it had not been wonderful. To this day I remember the kindness and trust of this act. And also know that Milan is not the cold gray city that it has the reputation of being. A beautiful beginning to many beautiful trips to Italy.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM

I love these stories...I've been incredibly fortunate on most all of my adventures...

The most recent one was this past July. My husband and I were on the train to Venice, our last leg of our honeymoon. Across from us sat a retired couple from Brisbane, Australia. We ended up chatting with them and somewhere along the line I told the wife how much I love Tim Tams, an Australian packaged cookie/biscuit I discovered when I was over there. She asked for our address and about a month later, we had a big box w/every flavor of Tim Tams! How nice was that? We in turn put a care package together and sent it to them. I haven't heard back so perhaps some Aussie customs man is eating her Oreos and chewing Big Red gum!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:59 PM

I can think of a few.

In Florence, Italy our hotel loaded us up with blood oranges and drinks for our trip to Venice.

In Edinburgh we had breakfast each morning at a tea room, and got to know the owner. On our last day she too loaded us up with foods for our drive to Aberdeenshire.

In France we were to take a tour of the Normandy area, but the company boggled it up. An employee at our hotel knew a man that we could hire for the day, and she set everything up for us. Spending the day with him was very nice...we learned a lot about the culture. The trip to Normandy was very important to us as my dh had just returned from a military deployment a few weeks before.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
dcespedes

Friday, the 13th, 2002, @5:00 PM... my husband and I were in London, had just left the British Museum and were on our way to the nearest tube station for the journey back to Redbridge where our car was parked having driven there from Lakenheath much earlier that day. As we reached the platform we noticed the train, at a stand still, packed like a can of sardines. A few minutes later an announcement was made that the Central Line was out of service--throngs of people swarmed out of the station and into the streets. We asked an extremely polite, helpful security guard how to get back to our car--he pointed us in the direction of the bus stop and told us which bus to take--with all the comotion we appreciated him taking the time. It was a mad scene at the bus stop and once we managed to squeeze onto the bus a very kind lady overheard us talking about which bus to transfer to--she told us where to get off, the bus we needed to transfer to and how to get to the bus stop a block away--she then proceeded to give us her bus map that she had carried with her for years and years, squeezing my hand as she placed it in mine. It was our first trip to England, our second day in London and I think because of the madness that ensued following the cancelled train I felt overwhelmed-- this lady knew it and wanted to help by giving us her old map. So, along with the memory of the kindness of strangers I will keep that map with me for as long as I live.

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM
jor

I stopped a business man on the street in Lisbon, Portugal while back-packing to ask him where the train station was. He was on his way to work but walked me for several blocks to the train station in the opposite direction he had been walking. I was amazed that someone would do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -