Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite Hawaii Travel story?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:14 AM
mary

This section is very slow today. Everytime I look at it today there are no new postings, so I thought about some of my favorite Hawaii things and came up with the above question.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Nova

Getting cut off at the Rusty Harpoon in Kaanapali Beach (Maui) for being intoxicated !!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:20 AM
ItWasFun

Skinnydipping at Twin Falls in Maui....we had the place to ourselves.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:24 AM
amy

We were coming back from Maui last fall. We were on the Maui to Dallas flight, which is an overnight flight. We were very tired and beginning our Jet-Lag thing so we tried to sleep as much as we could. At about 4:00 AM this "thay thilly" male flight attendant was going up and down the aisle yelling in that southern texas drawl snaaaack, snaaack does anyone want a snaaack? We were so tired but for some reason it has struck us funny every time we mention it. Why in heavens name would anyone on an overnight flight want to be woken up at 4:00 AM for a bag of roasted peanuts?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:44 AM
lvhawaii

Story 1. Picture me at Waimea falls park trying to take a picture of the Nene who are in an enclosed pen. I lean over the top with my camera when the fence starts to give way. Me, the camera and the fence are slowly collapsing toward the Nene and in my head I can see the headlines.."tourist crushes beloved endangered Nee nee". Stopping just short, I straighten up, turn anround and there is my daughter. friends and total strangers howling with laughter.

Story 2. Going thru gate security between Oahu and Maui, My frind is requested to empty his pockets. He literally fills 2 baskets with more stuff than I dreamed you could fit in pockets. The entire gate area is is laughing as more and more comes out of his pockets. Security never cracked a smile.

Story 3. Swimming at Waimea falls beach the whales are so close off shore if you float quietly with your ears in the water, you can hear them.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Jay

Swimming in the pool directly underneath 1200 foot Hiilawe falls (Waipio Valley, the Big Island). Looking straight up through the falls was an awesome and disorienting sight--it gave me the illusion of watching wind-driven snow being blown toward me horizontally.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Christina

Getting married at the Kea Lani in Maui. It was sunset & we were up above the beach overlooking the ocean and two little girls were hiding in the bushes watching our ceremony. Then my new hubby & I went down to the beach & took a long peaceful walk, while sipping champagne. I will forever remember that evening!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:42 PM
darlene

Then single, travelling with a buddy in Kauai. We were guests of my buddy's elderly friend, she lent us her huge Lincoln to tour around in. Anyway, we went to the Hyatt (or some 5 star hotel), and snuck into the pool. We were hanging around the hottub, looking at the stars, drinking, then the security guards kicked us out...then, because it was late, our elderly host got worried and called the police!!! Sure freaked us out when we got pulled over on the way home.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Sarah

On one as you know I can go on and on about Hawaii. Probably doing back strokes at the Kauai Marriott pool under a very very stary night.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
tk

Heading out to the secluded pool in Hana. As we hiked the walk we passed a not too friendly couple. When we returned after our secluded swim they were waiting.......they had lost their keys.....so we helped them even though they were so unfriendly when not in need.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:18 PM
p.

Nova,
That's an achievement in that place - to experience the level of service required to get to the "cut off" state !
Maybe you have a low tolerance <g>
Cheers

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:26 PM
lalaini

Being in Hawaii for the Slack Key Guitar Festival.

Free and FANTASTIC!!!!!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:22 AM
hens4th

First trip to Hawaii (last year - north shore Oahu), signed up for catamaran cruise/snorkeling trip. Wonderful scenic cruise, only two couples on boat, with friendly captain and mate. Well, we had neglected to think about where first-time snorkelers should try it out. The boat stops WAY OUT in deep water, and we're expected to snorkel across the deep to a rocky area near shore. Even the shore area was too deep to stand, and the volcanic rocks around wouldn't allow perching on them. THOUGHT WE WERE GONNA DIE. The mate was so patient with us, trying to instruct us, but we were duds at snorkeling and know now we should have practiced (A LONG TIME) in a shallow-water setting. Scared us so bad we couldn't even eat the delicious picnic lunch on the boat after.

We still laugh that the captain of that boat probably to this day refuses to accept landlubber hicks from Kansas on his boat excursions, and I can just imagine the stories he and the mate told about us. We're hoping for Kauai in '03, and I keep hubby chuckling telling him about all the snorkeling excursions I'm planning for us.....

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Marilyn

Hiking across a very hot lava field on the Big Island to come to a picture perfect beach - which we then had all to ourselves.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Tom

Not just one event...but an entire day. My wife and I flew into Maui two years ago the day before out 25th wedding anniversary. The next day, we got up at 2AM (Sheraton Maui) to take a limo van trip for sunrise at Haleakala. What a way to start our special day! Later in the day, we went to the Bay Club in Kapalua for dinner and I surprised my wife by having made arrangements before dinner for the renewal of our vows on the beach (next to the Bay Club) at Kapalua Bay. Having just rained, we were treated to a rainbow during the ceremony! It was quite a memorable day!!!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Sue

In Poipu, at the restaurant Tidepools in the Hyatt Kauai on Valentines Day. My husband asked me to marry him and we returned their again on our honeymoon the following year! It is the most romantic and amazing setting.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:07 AM
Sarah

Oh sue that is very sweet.
I think your story puts a dim line on mine!!!! How was the food at the Hyatt I am there in August!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Lisa

Sarah,
You must eat at Dondero's. The Chicken Marsala is the best I ever had. We ate on the veranda and it was so romantic. We did not care for Tidepools. For what we paid there the food was not very good. The grounds are exquisite and they have a great pool with a lazy river. Have a blast.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
JoJo

19 years ago in Waikiki on our honeymoon when my new husband and I thought dining at the Jolly Roger was uptown!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:45 AM
John

We were on Maui last Fall when that pheonomenon with all the shooting stars happened. We sat on our lanai on the 9th floor of our hotel and saw hundreds and hundreds of shooting stars flying through the night. We even got up early when it was still dark out and sat on our lanai with our coffee and watched them again until the sun came up. They say this will not happen for about another 100 years or so. We did not even know about this and got the thrill of our lives. They say Hawaii was the best place to view this and we were there. It was one of the most spiritual things to ever happen to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -