Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Fresno?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 03:47 PM
Kristy

I need to be in Fresno next week (Monday to Friday), and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who lives there or has been there. Are there any interesting sights? (I know it's near Yosemite.) Any not-to-be-missed restaurants? (I've heard there's a Morroccan restaurant that's good - true?)

I know it's not the world's greatest hotspot, but what can you do - you go where the work takes you.... Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:36 PM
Been There

Nothing, sorry.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Cal

Fresno is the only city in the country that is an hours drive from 3 National parks. Apart from this it has little to offer. I am sure that you will find some decent restaurants as it is a fairly good sized city. Be very careful where you venture in Fresno. It is quite a dangerous city in many parts.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 08:26 AM
cherie

Head to Riverpark on Blackstone North of Herndon. (Herndon is an Offramp off Hwy. 99). There's a Borders Bookstore, Restaurants, Cinemas, Stores, etc. The orders is the place to go in the evenings for live small bands & coffees, etc. We like Macaroni Grill for California-Italian food & Chevys for Mex. The Marshalls there is good for bargains; there are sporting goods and linen stores, etc. The area is in the safest part of Fresno; we go there in the evenings all the time.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Owen O'Neill

Having many relatives there and also having been stranded there for one very long and hot summer I must agree with the previous posters. You may find some intersting cafes or shops in the vicinity of Fresno State U. but otherwise stick to the suburbs/outskirts. I strongly encourage you to bypass the huge crowds at Yosemite and take a day trip to King's Canyon/Sequoia national parks. They're remarkable and much less heavily frequented by tourists than Yosemite. I also recall that my cousins used to head southeast to an area near Vidalia (sp?) where there was great swimming in a natural stream/rocks/canyon type setting. Also check out a Basque restaurant if you have an enormous appetite. Fresno has a large Armenian and also a fair sized Basque population. I understand it to be hearty country type Spanish food seved family style. Simple but tasty and huge portions.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 11:09 AM
martha python

Years ago there was a Carol Burnett satire of Falcon Crest called "Fresno." In the opening scene, set in the first days of settlement, a worker grabs some fruit, starts chewing, then snarls, "You call these grapes? They taste like fresno!"

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 03:45 PM
Kristy

Thanks to all who have replied. Any other suggestions?

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Steven

Should you have the chance a visit to the Mineral King area of Sequoia National Park is highly recommended. (But only if you like to hike.) It's a beautiful area and not real heavily touristed as it lies at the end of a twenty-mile long dead-end road. The hiking there can be fairly strenuous--most of the trails will take you up over 10,000 feet, but well worth it if you enjoy the outdoors.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 03:36 PM
cherie

Thats Visalia....south on Hwy 99; The Carol Burnett "Fresno" had a station wagon for the limousine.....; and there are antique shops way out in Clovis, and unless you're into Rodeo, there are few other things to do. Oh, and its HOT. Yosemite isn't busy......it beats Fresno.