Reload this Page >

What is the best US airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:27 PM
Robert

What is the best aiport in the US? Consider things like location, layout, appearance, shops/restaurants, number of flights and ticket fares. Is there one airport you have had particularly good experiences with? Bad experiences?

Since I am asking this question, obviously I have an open mind to the subject. But my answer (now) to my question would be Atlanta-Hartsfield Int'l. PERFECT layout, great train system, connected to MARTA, looks great, and is the world's busiest. What do you all think?

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:44 PM
carla

West Palm Beach, Florida
The perfect size.

Also like Tucson Airport. Never crowded, great shops, easy approach.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:41 AM
Jim Rosenberg

In terms of being impossible to get lost and easy to get around, I believe that Detroit is probably now the best airport in the U.S. It is literally fool-proof. DTW would not hold that position in terms of terminal services or fares, however.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:00 AM
x

Denver

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:12 AM
Jim

I would disagree that Atlanta is a great airport. It's simply too big and it's too difficult to change planes on different concoures when time is short. The only airport that is worse in this regard is Dallas/Ft Worth.

I like the new single-terminal design at Denver. The new Detroit terminal is also great.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:18 AM
Liz

I'd have to say Knoxville's McGhee Tyson. Although small, it's well laid out, and the personnel are friendly and helpful. I'm in Knoxville a few times a year, and have never had a bad experience there.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:28 AM
doc

I would disagree on atlanta as well. Do hard to connect and luggage always gets lost there with connections. The only airport worse is BOS logan.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
traveler

Denver is a great airport unless you are renting a car.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:36 AM
Kath

Agreed about Denver. The car rental area is so far away, its feels like they are taking you to the next town to pick up a car.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
annie

I love McCarran Airport in Las Vegas

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Austin

For layout, I nominate Asheville Regional (AVL) -- very easy to find parking, find gates, and even to find from the interstate and local roads.

For appearance, I nominate Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT) -- I especially love the statue of Queen Charlotte atop the pillar fountain, frozen in mid-whirl (Julie Andrews on her mountaintop has nuttin' on da queen) with her crown held out on her fingertips in welcome. The rocking chairs and grand piano are nice touches too!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:55 AM
Lorraine

I disagree that Atlanta is the easiest- I made a connecting flight by 5 seconds b/c I could not figure out the Tram.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Joe

Best:
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Denver
Las Vegas

Worst:
Dallas
Atlanta
LAX

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
Mark

San Diego is great, also Cincinnati

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:48 AM
Mike

I can't imagine why anyone would like Atlanta but to each his own. I do everything I can, including avoiding all Delta flights, to avoid Hartsfield.

I like Charlotte and Pittsburgh, both USAirways hubs. Well laid out and easy connections.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
tim

I agree that Atlanta is the worst. I always try avoiding changing planes there.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
BillyBob

The worst by far is Miami! I hope I never have to go through there again.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Patrick

Billy Bob, you are lucky. Going through Miami is a breeze compared to checking in there!!
Wierdest thing that happened to us there though, was claiming our bags, clearing customs and then heading to our connecting flight. We were supposed to go to concourse F. Right where you come out of customs is a big sign that says "Concourse F" one way and "Concourse E" the other. We thought it was odd that it led us outside, but figured somehow it was going to get us there, until we figured out those were signs for Concourse E and F of the parking garage -- there were no signs for leading you to the airport concourses.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
x

Easiest question of the day: Washington National, of course, or if you prefer, Reagan. And how many airports are also art galleries?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:34 AM
Air

Best Airport: Orlando

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -