Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best hotel in Destin or Ft. Walton

Old May 3rd, 2000, 12:37 PM
Daphne

Hi, can anyone tell me what the best and most economical hotel would be in Destin or Ft. Walton, FL? I really would like it to be on the beach. I am specifically looking at Destin and Ft. Walton b/c we want to go to Big Kahuna's and don't want to travel very long to get there. Anyone been to Big Kahuna's? I know it is very expensive but is it worth the $$? I would like to get a room for no more than 100. a night using a military discount. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! Daphne P.S> we plan to go in June or July.

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:02 PM
cj

Sea Oats Motel, Crystal Beach

This is a great place right on beach. We were there at Xmas.

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Jean

Hi Daphne,
Destin will be considerably more expensive than Ft. Walton. If you haven't already been, the actual beach and water is just as lovely in either location, but Destin is more upscale and more expensive. I have never been to Big Hahuana so couldn't advise you on that. Some of the less expensive motels in Ft. Walton and Destin have coupons in the coupon books you can get at Shoneys and Burger Kings in Florida. Or, go to the website at www.roomsaver.com. The rates are the highest for northwest Florida from Memorial Day through Labor Day, so you may not get much of a discount in June or July.

Old May 5th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Daphne

Thank you both for your replies. I did check into Sea Oats, but they require a 3 night minimum. Unfortunately, summertime is my husbands peak work season and it is pushing it to get him away for two days!! LOL . I am going to post another post about the Blue Horizons . Thanks Daphne

Old May 5th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Janet

I can add for the Big K....it is fun, for adults (that like water parks)and kids. My husband and I are 30+ professionals and love it. It is worth the $ in our opinion. We live on the Panhandle and know several adults who go with or w/o kids and have a great time. Have fun on your vacation.