What is spring break???

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is spring break???

I heard that prices in Florida are higher in spring break. Some hotels even don't want springbreakers. I thought it was the earsternholydays in March. But what is making the springbreak so special in Florida?
(I don't know because I am European)
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Spring Break is really the name of the mid-term vacation for all college and university students. Many of them attend school in the northeast where they are just thawing out from a harsh winter. Florida offers a cheap warm break from their studies. And, yes, many hotels do not want thousands of college students flocking onto their property because 18-22 year olds can get pretty darn wild.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Ok. Thank you very much chucklesbythebah.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM

It is true that prices go up for 2 reasons. 1) due to the good old economic theory of supply and demand - thousand upon thousands of college students and well as families with school-aged children flock there during their week of school vacation (on holiday as you would say) so prices rise, and 2) places that don't want college students avoid the hassles by making their facilities unattractive to the budget of a college student. I don't think it's impossible to find an OK deal in FL in March. You need to look in places where there isn't a lot going on. Central FL (inland) has golf resort that are not outrageously priced because golf, dining, and a pool are really all they offer.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:41 AM
GoTravel

Spring Break is associated with drunken, naked, debaucherous, lewd behavior by college kids.

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM

SpringBreak is the months of March and April.There is no set one week that is SB.Somewhere in the US, some school not necessarily college level is having a break from their studies.It varies by region for any reason or no reason at all.Prices in any beach resort anywhere in the US are high thru April-WinterRates.Many hotels/resorts have higher rates during March and April just to keep the college crowds away.Liability is a big issue as is the cost of reparing damage caused by the partiers.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 03:43 AM

Add to that a less rowdy Spring Break of younger kids who travel to warm places with their parents. Hotels like these family groups more, but when you travel you run the risk of having a zillion under-supervised bratty kids running around. This also varies in timing by school location.

This year Easter is in mid-April.