Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is it really like living in a small town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Howard

I just returned from a very long cross country trip. I made a special point to get off the interstate and drove through 100s of small towns in the midwest. I have lived in Boston all my life and always wondered what living in a small town is REALLY LIKE.

I am talking about small towns of 5000 to 30000 (or so) people that are not connected to a big cities economy. I have spent time in suburban small towns connected to Boston's metro area- they are different. (people commute into the big city job centers for one)

There are few stories about living in a small town TV or in the movies, or articles about small town living in magazines.

How is it to live in a small town in America today? I am really interested!

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Linda

It is great (unless you want a stimulating professional job). The people you meet at church, school, work and other places live a short ways from you so it is easier to get together.

When I lived in Dallas people were to busy to be social and work friends lived 50 miles apart.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Anonymous

There is no anonymity when you live in a small town. If you're new, everyone is curious about you and talks about you especially if you don't reveal anything about yourself. If you're a local, they know everything about you and talk about you all the time. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just another side of the issue.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Clarance

Can be busier than living in the big city! Were involved in Boy Scouts, YMCA, Moose Lodge, league bowling, the church, school PTA and the neighborhood association. Who said small towns are boring!

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:05 AM
me

...where everybody knows your name...!

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:07 AM
countrygal

I was born and educated in urban america. Juggled a successful career, children, expensive cars and designer wardrobes for years. My youngest left for college 2 years ago and I left urban america forever.
I still enjoy a day or so of shopping and dining and I adore traveling and have seen more of the world than most. At the end of the day, there is nothing about the city that I cannot have more of, and better than, in the sticks. Thanks largely to the WWW, research, reading, keeping in touch w/frineds is easy and faster than ever.
I spend days getting filthy, hot and exhausted, and do not think twice about running into town without spending endless hours deciding whether to wear crop pants or a nice shift dress.
My lungs are filled with fresh air and my ears with the songs or birds.
It is not for everyone, but for me, its a chosen lifestyle.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Jack

Ever worked in a small office. If your popular and in the in crowd, its great. If your out of favor you feel isolated. Life in a small town!

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Harris

Best size town about 30,000, big enough for shopping and eating out options but no 12 lane congested freeways and big city pressures. Everyone does not know each other, but friends are nearby and available.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
warner

I would suggest listening to the works of John Cougar Mellencamp as a musical and lyrical embodiment of small town Americana.

little pink houses for you and me...

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
zootsi

We moved to a small (2000) town in New England about 20 years ago from NJ, and I can't imagine ever going back to an urban environment. Nearly everyone here knows each other, but not in an intrusive way. People always say hello on the street, and usually wave in cars. You can really feel connected to the community by getting involved in the Fire Dept, art or theater groups, church or school groups, town government, etc - or you could choose to live more privately if you prefer. People in this area are really into the outdoors, gardening, etc instead of the mall scene which is so prevalent in the suburbs of typical America. Drawbacks? - Dreary, rainy weekends can get boring, and you might be forced to turn on the tv!

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Otis

Terrible!

You spend the entire day watching grass grow.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Big is Best

Everybody knows your business.

Lets put it this way: you sneeze and your neighbor from a mile away will call you on the phone to say "God bless you."

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Preferences

Depends. Yes, it can be bad as far as lack of privacy goes. Everyone knows everyone, and they talk, so you have to share your life OR be a recluse. I grew up in a small town and have lived in large cities since. I enjoy the amenities of a city, and my profession almost necessitates it.

However, in most small towns there is less of an emphasis on work, work, work, rush, rush, rush and more emphasis on family, friends, and community. Yes, I know cities have their own communities too, but trust me... it's apples and oranges. I really think that if you live in a small town and take care of yourself, your life expectancy would probably increase in many years! I personally enjoy the electricity of a big city, but there is definitely a peace and zen that only a small town can offer. Not suburbs mind you, but a true small town. Kinda nice when you pick up the paper and aside from a few crimes here and there, the stories consist of who caught what fish and maybe a big controversy over whether another stop light should be added! Just my observations.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Greg

The demographics of a small town in the midwest scare me. So few college (or even high school educated) people. Does that mean the people are stupid, NO! Though people who work low level jobs have a different set of expectations regarding conversation and interests.

Just my thoughts!

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Bob

Most city people that move to a small town want to bring the city with them- rush rush, Starbucks and elite thinking.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Polly

I love the small town I grew up in and would return there in a minute if circumstances allowed. One of my favorite things that has not been mentioned: If you need something and you can buy it there, you can be home with it in 5 minutes; if you can't buy it there, you just have to wait for a trip to the city!

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:52 PM
john

"In my town a new appliance is like a science"

"rain falls hard in a hum drum town"

"your prejudice won't keep you warm tonight"

all these quotes come to mind when reading your question

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:58 PM
travellyn

I prefer living in a small town.There are plenty of activities, just not so many choices at any given time.

I really like the lower level of consumerism. When I was talking to my brother (city-dweller) about buying some stereo equipment, he told me I could just pick it up at a Best Buy. When I said there wasn't one for hundreds of miles, he told me that Circuit City would be fine too. He had no clue that we were without most of the major chains.

When I first moved here, I was surprised to find there were no department stores. I asked where people registered for wedding presents, and was told "the hardware store". I had visions of registering for snow-blowers and chainsaws, but later found out they also had Lenox china.

Everyone knowing everyone else is a little odd if you come from a city. You won't go anywere without seeing someone you know, and it can get pretty funny. I knew how far it had gone when I was driving on a highway 60 miles away from home, and I was able to tell my husband who lived in the unremarkable house we were passing. Another time there was a serious car accident 120 miles away and I knew both drivers.

Northern Exposure (TV show) wasn't far off in its picture of a small town.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:52 PM
small

small.
my house is small.
the dog is small.
we drive a small car.
so far my children are still small.
I wear a size small,but my husband is getting to be a medium.
All the small people on our small block get together every 4th of July and we go to the small park and have a small picnic with a small display of fireworks.Small ones though because we just want to make a small amount of noise.
Guess that is about it.Sorry = this post is not so small now.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Jenny

We live in a small town, on a dirt road with my brother and sister in law next door. We have 10 acres of green grass and hay fields. Our kids go to a small school where all of the parents know each other and a lot of the families are related and/or friends.

We feel safe, healthy and happy. I never worry about what would happen if I get a flat tire on the way to the store, letting the kids play outside without constant supervision, or going for walks with my family after dark.

My husband and I both grew up here, graduating from rival high schools. It feels good to have a deep sense of belonging and "roots". You always run into a friend whenever you're on an errand, someone you went to school with, or someone that knows your parents.

The city people move in and write letters to the local paper all the time complaining about the smells (cow pastures), tractors driving slow on the main roads, and the lack of culture.

My husband works in the city and we usually drive in as a family once a week for shopping and dining. However, like the song says "I'm from the country and I like it that way!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -