What is in Kailua town on Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Oahu in August and would like to spend a day in Kailua. I know they have a "downtown" area with shops and restaurants. Is it fairly small? What's available as far as shops, restaurants, cafes, etc? Is it somewhere we could walk around after spending the day on the beach? I'd love to see a photo of the "town" area to but can't seem to find anything but the rental properties.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Some people would tell you that other than the Marines there isn't much there worht seeing!

What made you decide on Kailua?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

We're not staying in Kailua -- we're just visiting for the day to relax on the beach there. It was Dr. Beach's pick a few years ago, and it looks gorgeous (and calm!). I know there's a Lanikai Juice and a great bookstore -- just wondering what else. Are there any restaurants? Is it an area you can walk around?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM

You can probably get the best information from:
http://www.visitkailua.com/
http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/p...ilua/index.htm
http://hotspotshawaii.com/Kailua,mykindatown.html
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa, there was a lot of info in that last link! Can you compare the town to a mainland town? Is it like New Hope or Newport, or more like small town, USA? Do people generally walk to the restaurants and shops or drive?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Aloha karameli,

Someone recently posted a trip report that had stayed in Kailua. They gave good reviews for restaurants, etc.

I'll see if I can find it to post the link.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Found it!

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....1&tid=34763359

I'd suggest searching other trip reports as I have read alot about a few fav restaurants in Kailua.

I personally LOVED Lanikai Beach... I'd rent a kayak next time. Pack a cooler and enjoy the day! The beach views are stunning. Don't forget your camera.

Aloha!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM

It's like a small town, USA but with a lot of military influence as well. Hard to describe.

I want to say Kailua is to Honolulu, what Burlingame is to San Francisco. Is that a fair comparison? Or maybe what Livermore is to San Francisco?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM

p.s. you could probably contact the author of that last article directly, he'll probably be flattered:
[email protected]
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM

See if you can get your hands on the April issue of Honolulu Magazine. They have a special section on Kailua, with a map. I didn't know, till I saw this map, that there's a Kailua Information Center.

http://kaneoheranch.com/Kailua%20Town%20Map.jpg
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa! Maybe the Barnes & Noble here carries it, because that article would probably be super-helpful. The map is great, too. The town has more than I pictured! It almost makes me want to rent a beach cottage
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and two things for makai:

1. Great link. I did a search on Pinky's Pupu and it actually led me to a site with a listing of all the restaurants in Kailua. No reviews, so the thread you sent was more helpful in that respect, but there are more food choices than I'd expected. Yum!

2. On a random note: How do you make the little rainbow in your signature?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM

go to www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

...the rainbow is the "R" framed by (( )).

Aaaalohhhhaaaaa.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Mahalo!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I like to stay in Kailua when visitng Oahu. Kailua Beach is just beautiful. There is some nice shopping (Macy's) but Waikiki is where the best shopping is. My favorite restaurant on Oahu is in Kailua. It's called Buona Sera. Excellent Italian food. It's next door to the bowling alley. That's how we always find it.
The best part of Kailua is the beach / residential life. I could walk Kailua / Lanikai Beach every day and never tire of their beauty.
Annika
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Annika,
The Italian place sounds great. Any other favorites in the area?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM

I wish I was better at remembering names of places. (The Buona Sera is soooo good I could never forget it) Kailua has many good sushi places if you like that but as far as remembering their names - I'm sorry to say I can't. Their is a barbeque place that looks like it would be fun to try but have yet to stop in. It's usually inviting after a long day at the beach with the tiki torches all lit up outside. The restaurant outside is pink by the way. It's called Pinky's. Also right across from Kailua Beach is a place called Buzz's Steak House. This is a great place for lunch or dinner with seating inside and outside. President Clinton dined there with Hilary when they were in Oahu. This I know because we sat at the table where the plaque explaining this is located This place is very inviting at night. They don't except credit cards though. So bring enough cash for dinner. It's not an expensive place and the food is really good with nice atmosphere inside. It's also very popular so expect a wait of half an hour at least at dinner time. This place would be very easy for you to find as well because it is located right across from Kailua Beach. The Buona Sera is not as easy to find if you are not familiar with the area. But if you have time to look for it it's worth it! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
p.s. nearby Lanikai has the best bathing suit shop ever. It's called Lanikai Beach wear. I always stop there when in town.
Hope this helps.
Annika
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM

Don't miss the banana mac-nut pancakes at boots n kimos in kailua. yum!

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Annika and acaigirl -- yum and yum! Looks like we'll have to stay in Kailua the whole day...breakfast at Boots, lunch at Pinky's and dinner at Buzz's!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM

Just returned today from a week in Oahu. Kailua Beach was the morning stop on our last day. Great beach but lots of signs with warnings not to swim due to the recent pollution issue. Had a wonderful lunch at Buzz's Steak House. Great steak and vegie kaboob. A must stop is Jeff Changs Pottery. They have beautiful jewelry from local artists and former residents who now live on the mainland. I bought two necklaces and a pair of moonstone earrings. Our last stop was Waimanalo Bay Beach Park. No signs there so our 12 yr old son did play around in the water. Have a wonderful time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -