Search

What do you think

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Darryl

What do you think

I have lived in Buffalo New York for 25 years(not kidding!). What do out of towners honestly think of this city.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Mary

Huh? Is there any reason whatsoever to stop in Buffalo? Best bet to to just stay on the highway and bypass it.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Darryl

Mary, thanks for your response!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:58 PM
ilisa

My husband is from Buffalo. There are reasons he left it. I find it to be one of the most depressing areas I have visited. Even on a beautiful day, there is a gray, dingy cast about it. Now, the people are some of the nicest I have ever met. However, I am bothered by the attitude that many have that Buffalo is the big city. Most people I have met from there don't seem able to adapt to other cities, especially areas with much more diverse populations. Also, what is with the freaking lawn ornaments? I have never seen more lawn crap than in the Buffalo area. We are going up in a few weeks, and I swear I will puke at the sight of those little dutch boys and girls kissing.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:02 PM
jd

We live in Toronto. We go to Buffalo to shop at Walden Galleria - the kids like Abercrombie. I no longer need to go for Pottery Barn or Williams Sonoma - have it here. They've done a great job with Niagara Falls Blvd. on the stretch between Sheridan and the 290. However, in both aesthetics and variety of restaurants and culture, I wouldn't have much reason to stay long. I have found the people of Buffalo to be very nice.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:51 PM
ilovebuffalo

Ilisa,

Have you not been in Buffalo on a sunny day? We have magnificent summer weather, with bright blue skies with no gray dinginess in sight. And your husband must be from Cheektowaga (one of our tackier suburbs), as many area of Buffalo do not display lawn ornaments.

Darryl, I wish you had posted this differently, with "Buffalo" somewhere in your title, and then you may have had more responses.

And Ilisa, the reason many Buffaloians are unable to adapt to other cities is because they are a special lot, and can't find the intangibles in other cities that Buffalo has. Most people here love it.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:49 AM
ronald

When I have to travel for business to Buffalo I have the same reaction as when I have to go to Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati - get in, out and hope it does not snow. I realize that this is an unfair generalization and I am sure Buffalo has much to offer if one takes the time to look around - but you asked for honest reactions and you got it.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Stephanie P.

Darryl:

I liked visiting Buffalo, although they drive crazy. It is amazing how flat that area of NY state is. I enjoyed the fact that this city is so close to the most beautiful wonder of the world (Niagara Falls) and that there is an international feel to it somewhat since Canada is 30 miles away. I don't think I'd like the weather (it is overcast) alot. I live in Pgh area and it really is overcast here but at least we get some sunny days. If you would live in Buffalo, I'd recommend some Florida getways, maybe 2 x over the winter to combat the colder weather blues.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Cindy

I'm looking forward to our annual trek from Toronto to Buffalo in a couple of weeks. We go to the huge outdoor antique show in Clarence, and then spend a couple of days at the Prime Outlet Mall. Even with the Canadian dollar in the shape it's in, the bargains are wonderful. While we don't get into the city itself, the surrounding area is quite pleasant. Last year we happened to leave the mall just before sunset; it had rained all day, and when we drove back to our motel in Clarence we saw more rainbows than I've ever seen in my life. It was like driving through a cathedral. So my feelings about Buffalo are quite positive!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Ranger Rick

Buffalo is like the Baltimore of the North.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:33 AM
ilisa

No, my husband is not from Cheektowaga. He is actually from Clarence. However, I have yet to travel through an area around Buffalo where people didn't display those tacky pieces of crap. And yes, I have been there on a sunny day. Wasn't all that impressed. Sorry, I think Buffalo is just an awful place.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:30 PM
badboy

Darryl, Darryl, Darryl -- bashing Buffalo on the Canadian board and getting opinions of it on the U.S. board! Now just move down south and find a job like the rest of your age group. This city's in enough trouble without you stirring things up!!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:50 PM
ejc

When I think of Buffalo, I think SNOW, and lots of it. Therefore, I will never go there; even in the summertime. I live in Pa, and that's bad enough. My motto;
Never travel north of Pa.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:09 PM
eman

When I think of Buffalo I think of chicken wings.
Now I'll also think of Drew Bledsoe-You all better be nice to this guy.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:15 PM
terry

Went to buffalo for a 4 year graduate program. Could not believe how depressing the town was...failed business galore, no community arts program to speak of, the weather is miserable, the town very unfriendly to those without cars, drinking beer seems to be the only outlet,and a general lack of hope for improvement. I escaped 2 years ago and life has been good since! I did love the homes in many of the neighborhoods, and I know that many people are quite satisfied living in Buffalo, but it really is a sad city.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Marsha

Snow.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:44 PM
l

I reluctantly went to Buffalo last spring and was surprised at the nice time I had. I travel to many non-interesting cities with my kids for youth sports and thought Buffalo would be the same thing. NOt sure I could live there but there was something very refreshing about a town with little traffic (really there was no traffic compared to Miami) simple, unpretentious cars (everyone I know leases an SUV and Lexus - beyond their means) plain clothes, plain people, friendly, easy parking, just a simple, honest, life style....everyone was just nice and helpful. Restaurants were not crowded (Chili's on a Saturday night without a 1 hour wait?) There was weather problems and we had to return to the hotel for an extra night and I was pleased to stay an extra day. I don't consider MIami a big "city" and didn't think of Buffalo as "country" but it was refreshing.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:51 PM
xxx

Ilisa, You're exaggerating, Clarence has very few lawn ornaments and has some of the most beautiful homes in the area. Your poor husband, that you can't find something nice about his home town.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:54 PM
j

Buffalo has no traffic due to the fact that the roads were designed a LONG time ago when Buffalo had many, many more people. Roads in most other cities were designed also a LONG time ago but most cities have also experienced tremendous population growth.

Personally, I'll take the traffic jams of Miami and Boston over the easy drivin' Buffalo any day of the week.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM
l

I wouldn't hesitate to return if I had business there...we ate twice at a restaurant with a hotel name, stopped and walked around a church with coral stone gardens, not the kind of things I would ever think of doing in Miami. Maybe I needed some basics in my life. I couldn't believe that an improntu trip to Niagara was so simple...easy to get to and no lines....it takes longer to get into a movie theatre here that a major attraction. You guys have something special there that you are taking for granted....just as we take the ocean and palm trees for granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -