Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you do for fun when you vacation somewhere remote?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We regularly visit my in-laws lake house in rural LaFollette, TN. It is lovely and we have a boat there, but I don't fish and you can only zoom around the lake so many times.

So I ask you, what do you do for fun when you are in the middle of nowhere (beautiful nowhere, but still, nowhere!)? We'll be going again in early spring w/the kids. I like to bring books, watercolors, games, movies and good food to cook/eat. Any other ideas?
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Go hiking!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I have found that Audio-books (books on tape) usually available at library are great in your situation..You can get them on cassettes or CDs and use with headphones..I know this a "one person" item but can be very relaxing..
also I still love to write letters, although e-mail has replaced a lot of my "letters"
I have this great mental picture of you "zooming" around the lake--I love it !!!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Bunchargum strikes again.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Huh?
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I see, you are calling me a troll. I clicked on your name and see this that troll hunting is a favorite past time of yours. Perhaps you should click on my name. You'll find many previous posts indicating my in laws have a lake house in TN and others asking for suggestions for things to do in the area (to which I've received little or no response). It seems aimless unfounded troll-hunting is characteristic of trolls themself!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
cd

No,no,no Ronkala, Snowrooster is a legit poster of longtime standing.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Photography. You can either sneak away by yourself, or buy disposable cameras & have a "photo" safari with the kids.
Scavenger hunts are also fun - make a list of things to find.
Something people intend to do, but sometimes don't get the chance - start a family history journal. Not just with dates/names, but talk about personalities/family recipes/favorite sayings/how parents met, etc. Your kids may treasure it someday.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hey snowrooster. How's Cincy?

I find when I'm somewhere remote I have a tendency to move happy hour up from 5:00pm to 3:00pm
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cd, that made me feel good. I just don't even see why anyone would think the thread is trollish. I'm looking forward to the trip as my kids are finally old enough that I don't have to worry about them toppling down the stairs if briefly unattended; and am just looking for some fun around the house ideas as that's where we'll be most of the time (it takes a half hour just to get to the main road in town)!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:12 AM
cd

Can the kids bring friends? This would free you up to read while drifing in the boat....:-0
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Photography is a great idea - my son got his hands one a disposable camera once and loved it. I like the idea of the scavenger hunt too.

Hi Indy - Cincy is great, how's Indy? I'm sorry about the Colts - I adore Peyton Manning.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Indy's doing fine snowrooster. We'll wait until next year...again!

It's too bad about the Colts. I think Manning is a pretty class act too. Does some nice charity work in the area. Way classier than some of the people on the basketball team.

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Speaking of the Colts and Pacers it reminds me I had a brush with fame just before Christmas.

I was sitting at the Palomino bar having lunch. I turned to the door to see a man with his back to me. He had on blue sweatpants, a mink jacket and a red knit scarf. I'm thinking to myself, "Who let that man out of the house dressed like that!" He turned around and it was Ron Artest.

OK it was a brush with infamy not fame.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Hi, snowrooster. I don't have an answer to your question, but I just wanted to tell you that my mom's family is from LaFollette, Tennessee, and we still have lots of relatives there. We had a family reunion there last October. It's a small world!!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Probably shouldn't even say this 'cause I don't want to stir things up. But I'm just mystified as to how anyone who spends any time at all on these boards could call you a troll, Snowrooster. Or, for that matter, why he/she would consider this a "trollish" post.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Yes, walks and definitely photography. How great it is to be able to think about a travel photo, huh? Nice reads sitting on a log or a porch. Is the lake ok for swimming?

And campfires. I don't know why, but I can sit and stare at an open fire for the longest time and do nothing. It's kind of hypnotic. That could just be me though.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
jtp

1. use the time to learn a language or devote time to improving a skill - art / writing
2. start addressing next year's holiday cards using cards you bought at the post holiday sale...
3. work on a craft - ie: scrap booking
4. work on journal
5. photography
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM

We have a cabin at a lake and I have small children as well so here is my list!

Dance! We love to crank up the tunes and cut loose! The kids enjoy everything from Jimmy Buffett to Buckwheat Zydeco and our guests have fun too.

Cards and Games! Go Fish, Texas Holdem,Dominoes and any favorite Board Games. For the outdoors, look at the Deluxe ZIpline at amazon.com it has rovided hours of fun for our kids and small adult guests! Also, a slip n slide is fun if you have the place for it. You could aslo get some "Bug Huts" and have fun catching and keeping insects and butterflies.

HAve a wonderful time!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
dln

We sometimes bring our croquet set with us on beach or lake vacations. And a couple of balls, too. Basketballs, plain old bouncing balls, etc. Also, puzzles, the kind that have 500 pieces and take almost a week to do! Can you bring bicycles?

For myself, I bring my hand work: needlepoint and crocheting, to work at in between reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -