What do most wineries charge for tasting

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting CA wineries (Santa Barbara area) for the first time in a few weeks, and are considering hiring a car service for five hours. While it's pricey, they claim that most of the wineries will waive the tasting charges for their groups. Since that clearly enters into the cost/benefit evaluation, it begs the question: How much do mos wineries charge for tastings? Other comments on our consideration of a car service are also most welcome.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM

We visited Cottonwood Canyon and Sanford this past weekend and they were $5/person for tasting.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM
ssm

I have not been to Santa Barbara wineries in some time but I can tell you that overall most wineries will charge about $5-$7 for tasting (higher for "premium" or limited production wines). That will usually include 3 tastes of your choice. In some instances, you can also keep the glass. Also, if you buy a few bottles, they may credit you for one tasting fee.

I would highly recommend the car service, especially if you plan on visiting more that 2 wineries. There have been crack downs in the past about drinking and driving to the point where sobriety checkpoints have been put up by the CHP!

One thing to be cautious of, however. Some wineries may not allow vehicles such as tourist buses or limos. Make a list of the wineries you want to visit. Call ahead of time and ask about their policy. Then call and ask the car service if they intend on taking you to those wineries.

Happy tasting! Pack a light picnic or some snacks to enahce the tasting experience.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM

A charge for tastings? Is this a California only thing?

I have never paid for tastings in Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Pennsylvania or France.

Keith
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:35 PM

We just visited eight wineries in the Paso Robles area and only one place charged for tastings. That was Wild Coyote where we tasted five wines for $5 and got to keep their cool glass.

Do the SB places charge at every place? That could get costly, LOL! ***kim***
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:36 PM

A charge for tastings? Is this a California only thing?

Don't know if charging for tastings is a "California" thing, but mass amounts of tourists on wine tours is.

Not that Iowa and Kansas probably don't get their share of wine tasters, I'd doubt that there's anywhere near the tourist industry behind it as there is in California.

When that limo bus pulls up (the one that advertises bachelor parties and wine tours in the local weekly) for the next stop on the route, can you blame the winery for covering their losses.

As someone else mentioned, many places will waive the tasting fee if you make a purchase. There have been debates here on this practice in the past, and I'm one the side of the wineries on this one.