Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do do at Disneyland for non-riders?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 17 yr old daughter and I will be in Disneyland on Sat. July 30th. Neither one of us can do rides (motion sick). What else is there to do in the park? We'll be in Anaheim that week. Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM

Just walking around Disneyland is an adventure all its own. If you're into shoppng, there are some fun (but pricey) shops - I especially love Main Street. Try some of the restaurants out - not for their gourmet delights, but for the fun of it - like Carnation on Main Street for a REAL milkshake or ice cream sundae or the restaurant inside of Pirates of the Caribbean ride (forgot the name) - it's a nice, sit down full service restaurant in a great setting - you get to watch the ride boats pass through and it looks like you're eating on the bayou somewhere - no matter what time of day you're in there it looks like it's night-time. There are shows in various "lands" that you might enjoy as well as cast members all over the place which are fun to watch, not to mention great people watching. You'll still wear yourself out just wandering through a wonderful, magical place.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM

Get the map with the list of schedules. Go to the 3-D movies, shows. Walk around. Have a nice lunch.

Start with the train ride around the place to see what you want to visit first. There are also other rides, like carriage rides, included in the admission.

There are actually a couple of rides you can go on even with the motion sickness. "The pirates of Carribean" is mostly flat. And the displays are amazing! Go early to avoid lines.

"it's a small world" is for adults, too.

The boat ride on the lake is 10 minutes, no waves.

There is a pavillion with non-stop animation, but no seats.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM

Agree with the previous 2 posts. But are you sure you guys should even do Disneyland if neither one of you can do rides??
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM

BigJim, I can answer you: yes. Without the rides we had a full day of fun there. OK, the 3 rides listed. But that was it.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM

Do you mean rides are a complete no-no, or that you just can't go on the big coaster-type rides?

There are several rides and attractions in both parks (Disney and California Adventure) that are not "urpy" at all.

And if you can't go on ANY rides (I can't actually imagine that since some are calmer than a simple car trip to the mall) there is still shopping, parades, dining, amazing people watching, etc.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM

Personally, I think ANY amusement park is a rip off. We've done Cedar Point, Hershey Park, King's Island, Six Flags in Guerney, Il., Darien Lakes before it became a Six Flags, Bob-Lo Island, Six Flags-NO, Geauga Lake before it became a six flags, Four Bears, all a rip. Use the $140-$200, you'll drop there to go to Santa Catalina Island, and have a wonderful day.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM

I assume you're going with people who are going to rides at Disneyland. You might consider getting a park hopper ticket that allows you and daughter to go to either Disneyland or California Adventure, the park next door. Disneyland (especialy in July), is a hot aggrivated jungle of humanity. Unlike what others have stated, I don't think you'll be able to just leisurely stroll around and enjoy the experience. Just trying to walk on the paths is challenging IMO. California Adventure is a beatifully themed and scenic, more adult-oriented park with wide walking paths and plenty of room to just stroll around and enjoy things. That's definately where I would head if I weren't going on rides.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM

I get motion sickness too, but found that most of the kiddie rides are okay, especially in Fantasyland...Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, etc. They are so tame & so very charming. Also, The Jungle Cruise & Pirates of the Caribbean are very tame!! You'll have a great time...please try some of these milder rides.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM

Absolutely no rides at all? Or just the ones that make your head spin or tummy get upset?

A park hopper would be nice because it will give you more fexibility, but if you could only choose one or the other, I would say go to Disneyland. CA is all about the rides and there is very little else to do there. And almost all the rides are geared towards the kind that make motion senisitive people ill.

In Disneyland you can stroll down Main Street and window shop. There are also shows in various parts of the park - check out the schedule when you get there. Carnation House off of Main Street is always a favorite for ice cream. The name of the restaurant in the Pirates of the Carribean is Called "Blue Bayou" and the food is actually very good, but it is pricey.

Actually, there are even quite a few rides you could probably go on that would be just fine. The Jungle Boat Cruise is very tame and very cheesey, but the guides are funny and make it entertaining. (Plus you are shaded from the sun!) There is the Steamboat and the Columbia which are huge boats that cruise around Tom Sawyer's Island - a nice respite. Pirates of the Carribean is okay, HOWEVER, there are 2 drops which can really bother people who are sensitive to that kind of thing. The drops are not bad (the first one is a bit long, the second not so long), but can be unnerving to some. Just to let you know. It's A Small World is very tame and kind of cute. The only annoying thing is that the song will be in your head for the rest of the day! I think Snow White is okay, some twists and turns, but nothing too bad. Peter Pan I cannot recommend because it rides from above, so you get the feeling of flight and leaves a feeling of being unstable. (I'm just not sure how sensitive your motion sickness is) There is an old fashioned merry-go-round - would that be too much? I always enjoy that! I think (??) the Autopia is still in operation (not sure on this one), and if it is that was always fun. Of course, to cool off and really get a bird's eye view of the park, hop on the Monorail and take a cruise over to the hotels. You can also walk through Sleeping Beauty's Castle as well.

These might not be the heights of excitement at Disneyland, but I'll bet by poking into little nooks and crannies, you'll find things that only the natives and locals know about because the tourists are running frantically from one ride to the next.

Of course, you can always do one of my favorite things: get an ice cream or a "mint julep" and find a spot in the shade and watch the parade of people go by!

Just keep in mind you will be there in summer and on a Saturday. Heat and crowds will be at their highest. Keep yourself hydrated and your sense of humor firmly in tact. Smile when everyone else around you is grumbling. And by staying away from the "popular" rides you will be able to relax and enjoy the park.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM

Oh, yes, Autopia, it's just a car ride along the rail, no bumping, and at the end you get a Disneyland driver's license!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:58 PM

Go directly to the Tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki Room then catch the Mr. Lincoln movie and the old Mickey Mouse reels on Main Street. You could get your name embroidered on black or pink mouse ears or shop Downtown Disney and then walk to the Disneyland Hotel and walk through the Dancing Waters. DOn't forget to visit the statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Muse and take your picture with them.Lots to keep you busy. Enjoy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM

Disneyland live shows: Snow White(musical play; Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (comedy/bluegrass music in the Golden Horseshoe); the new Parade; wonderful new Fireworks, and Fantasmic. Rides: Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Storybookland Canal Boats; it's a Small World, Mark Twain Riverboat, Columbia (the last two are a bit boring). Haunted Mansion. Pirates has a few short water drops but they won't make you queasy. Peter Pan. Live music around New Orleans Square. Exhibits in the Disney Gallery. Main Street (Silhouettes for $7, watch the glassblower or ask the guy in the Magic shop do tricks). Mr. Lincoln had been replaced temporarily by the 50th anniversary film on the history of Disneyland. Ride the monorail, plus the railroad that circles the park. Take a look inside the Grand Californian hotel lobby.
I would stick with Disneyland. Although DCA is a more adult-oriented park, the rides are more intense. If you have motion-sickness you will not be able to go on most of them. The following should be okay: Aladdin musical (great!), Muppetvision 3D, Improv skits (Hollywood Backlot near Muppet vision); Animation screening room, Golden Dreams, Tough to be a Bug 3D, Mission Tortilla Factory, Boudin Bakery, Golden Vine "vineyard" film. If you want a nice splurge for dinner inside DCA, eat at the Vineyard Room. But don't miss the fireworks inside Disneyland!!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM

Eat, eat, eat...

Lot and lots of churros!

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
mm

>Neither one of us can do rides (motion sick). What else is there to do in the park?

Sweat!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

My wife has bad motion sickness. We stick to Pirates of the Carribean; Haunted Mansion; Enchanted Tiki Room; 3-D Theater and walking around a lot. Disneyland is like a giant work of art. Enjoy it!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:22 AM

Pirates is of one of my favorite rides. But there are a couple of drops that might upset your stomach. The one at the beginning of the ride is minor and the one at the end is a bit more dramatic.

Tiki Room is great fun as is the Jungle Cruise and Small World. Enjoy DL! ***kim***
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Shopping, restaurants, and just walking around are all great.

That siad, while I have some problem with motion sickness I can still manage the haunted house, pirates of the caribbean, small world, tiki room, jungle boat cruise, and the like. just stay off space mountain!! also the various shows like the western salon, etc. walking around on adventure island maybe?
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sheez, spell much?
that said
western saloon