Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about Marco Island Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 12:08 PM
jackie

Hi
I considering Marco Island Florida for a long weekend in Feb/March. Ideally we would like to fly in get airport transportation to the hotel and just stay put. It looks like you can walk around pretty easily without a car...
What do you all think of Marco Island? I am considering staying at the Marco Island Marriott which looks like it is right on the beach. Has anyone stayed there?
Thanks!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 12:55 PM
Sharon

Marco is about 1 1/2-2 hrs. at high season from RSW, Southwest Regional Airport in Ft. Myers. I am not sure but I think that the Marriott and maybe the Hilton would offer transportation, but not too many others. For three days or so you could just veg out on the beach and not need a car, but for a longer stay a car would be useful. Lots of interesting restaurants would be difficult to get to by foot. Gulf will be chilly, BTW, just starting to warm again as days lengthen. You'll have a lovely time, no matter what your decision as the beaches at Marco are wonderful. We have stayed at the marriott many times using up those Marquis points and decided to move to the Gulf coast based on our experiences.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 01:11 PM
JLB5

I have flown in/out of the Naples airport a few times. It is a very small airport, but much closer to Marco Island than Ft. Myers. I enjoyed Vanderbilt Beach more than Marco Island, and it is less expensive. Vanderbilt Beach is just north of Naples proper. You will definitely need a car if you stay on Marco Island more than a few days.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Melinda

We were at the Marriott 4 years ago and they had bikes that I enjoyed riding even though it was windy. I personally like Sanibel Island (near Ft Myers) much better for vegging out. Marco is beautiful but too much like a city for me. E-mail me if you need info.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Jackie

Thanks for your responses - I am now considering Sanibel Island because of your comments and others I have seen on this site.
Now I have a dumb question: Is anywhere in Florida really warm enough in winter to have a true beach vacation? That is really what I am looking for. Or do I need to think about the Carribean and Florida is too far north?
Thanks again!

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:04 PM
Joe Ferris

You would definitely like the Marriott on Marco if you decide to go there. We are there for the winter and I have found the weather to be great Jan thru May (most of the time). Great restaurants on the island but I think you need a car. The Fort Myers airport is the one to use and it is only 1 hour from Marco. It is more like a community but that is the reason we like it.

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:31 PM
Brian Kilgre

Regarding Florida in Feb/March.
I used tobe in Florida several times a year. Byh the standards of Floridians, the ocean is too cold this time of year. But if you like northern USlakes inthesummer, the ocean may be warm enough for you. Naples, Fort Myers,Marco are usually a little warmer than St.Petersburg, Orlando etc. but you are still gambling as far as a genuine beach vacation goes.
I used to be in the Carribbean travel busines, and you'll need togofurther south to be really sure.

If you want tostay in the US, Key West is not a bad bet; far enough south to probably be warmer, but beaches are not gret. No need for a car, though.

If you go to the Caribbean, say Dominican Republic or Jamaica, check how long you'll be on the bus from airport to hotel. Some of these trips are pretty long, especially if you are only there for a couple of days.

BAK