What boat in Alaska?

Search

What boat in Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What boat in Alaska?

I want to visit Alaska in 2004, but having a hard time deciding on which boat, and even large or small! I'm going alone, so was hoping to avoid a single supplment, or do the big cruise lines and pay double since they're cheaper. I am going to view animals. Please help!
Joanne
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:46 AM

What kind of cruise did you want? Are you talking about just a day cruise or did you want to cruise the entire trip?
Are you flying in to Alaska or taking a cruise to get there?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:12 AM

To really see wildlife - you may want to consider Clipper, Cruise West, Lindblad etc. Very costly but very intense as well. On a regular line- I always will choose the smallest ship I can. Any wildlife viewing will require tours, depending on your interest- marine is seen inside passage, but land really requires a one way trip and an added 5+++ days touring interior. Denali Park is your best bargain- go on the SHUTTLE at least to Eielson- 66 miles in, you'll have varied sighings. Wildlife is peak - mid to late August and also shoulder season rates. My most traveled and favorite time to go. Try your library and pickup the MILEPOST.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:12 AM

Consider traveling by ferry. Visit the website for the Alaska Marine Highway. We took the ferry from Bellingham WA to Skagway. Since we had a car with us we then drove to the Anchorage area. You could combine rail, ferry and car rentals. On the ferry you don't have to rent a cabin, plent of people sleep in a heated area on deck or bring a tent (bring your own sleeping bag either way). Someone from the US Forest Service gave short talks every few hours in the observation lounge and everyone kept an eye out for wildlife. It's very relaxed and casual plus you would have more of an opportunity to meet Alaskans. Ferry service along the Inside Passage is a frequent mode of travel. We did not spend much time in ports along the way but that is an option. Do a search on this forum for Alaska and you will get some good advice.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I was checking out the Ferry system, that's a possibility. I would like to know how much wildlife you can see on the large cruise ships. Is the only way on the excursions?
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM

I would like to know how much wildlife you can see on the large cruise ships. Is the only way on the excursions

Essentially yes. I am out on the front deck of every Alaska cruise and have been greatly rewarded with marine wildlife. It requires a GREAT deal of time - dress warm and have an excellent pair of wide angle binoculars- my preference is 10x50's. Be prepared for hours of wait for a few minutes of sights. You will not have any land animal sightings from the ship except in very rare occurances. Again tours are necessary. I am a very frequent Alaska traveler and know of many sighting areas. But honestly you have to make many many trips WITHOUT tours to get good viewing luck.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen,

Which small cruiseline do you reccomend? Is it true that you see a lot more wildlife because they can get so much closer? Thank you!
Joanne
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:19 AM

I have a friend who is a naturalist on Lindblad (also "subs" on Carnival). Very very intense wildlife and nature orientated. That would be my choice with unlimited funds.