What areas are unsafe at night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm travelling to DC next week and what to know what areas are unsafe to travel alone at night.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM

You'll get more helpful responses if you re-post your question with D.C. in the title. Otherwise it could be anywhere.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
LN

If you encounter areas with high intensity lighting (such as Anacostia) then don't go in them. There's a good reason for that special lighting!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM

If you get into an area where you see a shoe hanging over a wire run like h*ll. Well unless you want to buy some drugs.

Seriously Jalle, usually one can tell immediately when they are approaching an unsafe area. The neighborhood, the enviroment. Don't go exploring at night when it is dark, first rule IMO in any unknown city. Know where you are going. Wishing you a good and safe trip.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Washington is a different city at night - it is surprising how close one can be to National Monuments, etc. and get into some really rough areas. Even several blocks from the White House in 2 directions is not someplace I would want to be at night.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM

The areas where travellers are likely to end up at night are probably fine. DuPont Circle, G-town, Adams Morgan, Chinatown, Old Town Alexandria are all fine at night. The only area which may feel dicey is around Union Station and too far from the Capitol.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I just don't know about that shoes comment:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/sneakers.htm

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM

I don't know about the shoes comment either. Shoes on a wire doesn't have anything to do with gang or drug activity in my area - not that we don't have drugs and gang activity - there just isn't any corolation between that and the shoes.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM

In general, the further west you head, the safer it gets. Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown are all fine.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM

This question reminds me of how naive I was on our first visit to DC, LOL.

We had just emigrated to the US from England, and were taking a vacation tour of exploration from CT to VA with our 3-year-old daughter. (We used the "Washington on $25 a Day" guidebook, to give you an idea how long ago this was! And no internet or Fodors forum to help, either.)

Well, I chose a cheapish hotel (The Carlisle?) that sounded okay and was just 3 blocks from the White House, figuring that would have to be a safe area. When we arrived, we discovered the hotel was in the red light district next to a strip joint, and that street people hung out in the lobby. Tried hard to find somewhere else to stay, but the city was very full and our $$ were very limited. There was nothing for it but to stay, if we wanted to see the city (which we really did). We weren't in the room except to sleep, and the bed was clean enough, but we did wedge a chair under the door handle at night...

We enjoyed our visit except for the hotel (and daughter now works in DC.) But I was glad when when we were driving home. So was DH, who kindly did not say till we after we left that he did not see any fire exits or escapes from that building! He's an engineer, and notices such things. I was oblivious..! :-0
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM

There are some areas to stay away from during the day. We were just driving around and suddenly realized what the people on the corners were doing, and it wasn't sightseeing.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know loveitaly meant nothing racial by her shoe comment. I am not sure what shoes have to do with crime areas though. We have them all over. I think it is just bored teens.
As far as DC is concerned, there are very definite areas to avoid at night and I am sure they are not so hot in the daytime either. I drove through an area last year and the people hanging out on the corner were definitely not tourists. It was seedy and not safe. I am hoping some DC natives can give you exact street areas to avoid.
I have stayed in the tourist areas and all of them are fine during the day. I rode metros during the day safely. I took taxis at night. Not being from the area, made this the safest form of transportation. Have a good trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM
LN

In most towns there are good areas, bad areas, and the ummmm areas. Washington does have a number of ummmm areas and bad areas. Sorry to say it but truth it is and racial it's not.

The business and tourist areas of DC are fine all day long. At night those business areas become ghost towns and sometimes you can encounter problems while walking. Tourist areas are fine all hours of day or night. The other areas are changing areas - sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.

When friends ask me about areas around Catholic University at night I feel a bit hesitant and try to explain the concerns I have with it as well as most of northeast and southeast DC.

As to who disagrees with me that's your own opinion but this is mine and I am not a visitor to this city. I have lived in the city and have worked even longer in DC so I think this gives me a bit of experience with it.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Regarding shoes over wires - a nephew of a patient of mine (who lives in a high crime area) said they indicate drug activity in that particular location. Who knows if this is true or not, but it makes me look at sneakers over wires a little differently.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Additional thoughts on shoes over wires:

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/2005...ue2/op-cu.html

R5
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Huh? Racial comment? I wonder what race those shoes belong to!

Everybody in San Francisco area knows they hang there for a purpose. So, if you want to experience some local culture make sure no snitch sees your "business transaction"

Maybe the word "shoe" has a different meaning? LoveItaly used the word "shoe", MM said "sneakers". Is there something I don't know? Please explain! I don't want to sound racial... I want my shoes fit
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM

In America, "sneakers" is a subset of the more generic "shoes". I don't know where you're from, faina, but since you asked...
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I too, will look at shoes over the wires differently. I had no idea it meant drug activity. I guess I am clueless in that department. I am sad that I have see that so often in my quiet little town. I just thought it was a dumb teen prank.
As far as DC, enjoy the many sights and use good judgement, especially in the evenings. Georgetown is a nice area to walk around in at night. There are many restaurants and bars.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hello girlonthego, it very well could be just a teen prank...shoes, sneakers (whatever) hanging over the wires. Often what is a subculture thing becomes something that others pick up just to feel "in". And may I stress I am NOT making any racist comments.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Don’t worry LoveItaly, we all know who you are and I have always received nothing but kindness from you.

I think we all grew up knowing that sneakers over the wires was just a youthful crank. I saw a news program a few months ago where they explained that the meaning has changed, it is definitely a sign of drug and other illegal activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -