Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite short hikes in the Zion, Bryce, Arches area in Utah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Utah in September (late) in the Moab, Bryce and Zion areas. We are not long distance hikers, 4 or 5 miles is more than enough. we really want to get off the highway and into the country. What have you enjoyed? What do you recommend? I am looking forward to this. It is our first time in the canyon country.
Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM

My hubby and I like Angel's Landing in Zion. I believe it's only 2 miles to the top but it is strenuous. There are chains attached to the rock to help you on the top half. If you are afraid of heights, it may not be a good choice. But the views are beautiful and it's a great workout.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I am sure those views are spectacular but I'll never know as I couldn't stomach the chains and the sheer drop-offs. Part of our group did make the top, most of us made it just past Walters Wiggles before we chickened (sickened) out--probably 4 hours and longer because we lingered to get our nerve...then lost it. I wouldn't put it in a category with short hikes though, simply because of the level of difficulty.

Easier and shorter would be one like Emerald Pools, or even Hidden Canyon with some scrambling at the end as the canyon narrows. Very pretty.

For Bryce, Navajo Loop and Queens Garden are probably the most popular. Easy hikes and a good distance. You feel as if you've hiked...but not taken your life in your hands. LOL
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I think we did Peekaboo Loop in Bryce. You hike down into the hoodoos (sp?).

As for Angel's Landing, like I said before, if you are afraid of heights you won't like it. And I'm not in great shape and neither is my brother in law that came with us, but we all made it up.

Please make sure you dress properly and bring lots of water. I get so frustrated when I see people hiking in flip flops without any water or snacks. You've got to be prepared.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

It is so great that you can depend on the people on this board to have good ideas. I am afraid that the sharp cliffs and chains are not quite my thing, but the other ideas are great. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:41 AM

In Arches, we like Double Arch and Delicate Arch. Neither is too long or more than moderate difficulty.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

My family LOVED the Narrows in Zion.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Hi Going,

I fyou do want to see the awesome views from Angel's Landing, you can still do the hike and enjoy it, without going all the way in the chain section. You go almost the whole way, past Walter's Wiggles, and stop at Scout's Overlook. Same views, no chains and drop offs. Still a strenuous hike, but not scary at all.

Have fun!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

We were in Zion mid May and did a wonderful hike: Canyon Overlook Trail. Well worth it with beautiful views!
We had also done the Pool Trails too, but we really enjoyed the other much more.In Arches, Delicate Arch is a must see! We did coming and going thru Utah...just an awesome sight..
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I also liked Canyon Overlook, although there are a few bits where you get close to the edge, it doesn't last long. It is not so long, maybe a mile? & I would rate it moderate. Narrows was fun but crowded. I also decided not to go on Angel's landing because Canyon Overlook was scary enough. Emerald Pools gets very crowded.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM

As others have mentioned, I highly recommend the Canyon Overlook Trail, located at the East entrance of Zion NP. It is only about a mile long and it is no where near as difficult as Angel's Landing, but the views at the end are incredible! Also, the Observation Point trail, although somewhat strenuous due to the elevation climb, has a really cool section about a mile up, as well, there are amazing views of the Virgin River and Angel's Landing across the canyon. We only did two miles of this trail and then went back down due to a heavy downpour, but getting to see the slot canyons and crossing the stream high up in the mountain was really neat. It's just so incredible out there - you're going to love it no matter what you do!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
TheWeasel

Arches - Delicate Arch is great, although it can seem like you're on a highway at times with the amount of people.

The only other major hike I've done there was the Devil's Garden primitive loop, and that's longer than you want. The first half of it would be great though. I think almost everything else in the park is under 4 or 5 miles.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Going,

You've been given a lot of good suggests with which I agree. But I'll put in my 2 cents worth anyway.

I don't know if the shuttle in Bryce is still running in late Sept., but if it is, then see where you could ride to from the lodge area and hike back along the rim trail that would fall in your distance needs/wants. We did it 2 years ago from Bryce Point back to the lodge area and really enjoyed it but I don't recall exactly how far it was. But the views can't be beat for something that keeps you above the rim (easier hiking).

In Arches, if you do Double Arch (which I recommend) you can combine that with both of the Windows arches and Turret Arch since they're very close. Easier to drive to the 2 parking areas than walk the short distance because you'd just have to retrace your steps.

If you get to Canyonlands (Island in the Sky part) be sure to take the short (1/2 mile) walk to Mesa Arch. This is a beautiful, very accessible arch.

You say you really want to get off the highway and into the country. Are you only thinking hiking or driving as well? If driving is included there are all sorts of scenic backways in Utah. Some require a 4X4 and high clearance, but some don't. My husband and I just returned from out there in May and those backways were some of the highlights of our trip.

Also, how much time do you have? That can make a big diffence in what you can get in.

Whatever you get to do, you'll probably fall in love with canyon country as so many of us here have done. As much as we crammed into 2 weeks there is still so much more we want to see and do. A return trip (more likely trips) is in our future.

Enjoy. It's an amazing and beautful area of our country.

Fran

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:04 AM

We try to do the hikes that are less popular to avoid the crowds. In Arches, instead of Delicate Arch which is always swarming with people, check out the Tower Arch area (we saw no one). If you do Angels Landing in Zion, you can skip the scary part at the top and hook up with the North Rim trail where we saw no one but can experience some awesome views of Angel's Landing without the crowds and chains. We also did a good deal of backcountry driving and it was awesome. Did the Burr Trail out of Boulder and enjoyed checking out a cool little slot canyon right next to the road (in Long canyon area). Also did a nice little hike in Surprise Canyon. We took the Notom Rd from the Burr Trail up into Capitol Reef. It's an amazing drive. Here is a link to some pictures of our last trip - www.pbase.com/peterb/utah04 -
You will fall in love with this incredible area.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Zion is one of our all-time favorite places to relax and hike. When you get there, you will be given a brochure that describes the hikes and estimates the time involved. The shuttle will drop you off at all the trailheads. The trail to Observation Point was a delightful surprise. You don't have to take it all the way up to enjoy it. The first part is very steep with lots of switchbacks, but then you arrive at a level area in a forest. The views in this first section are worth it! You won't see many people on this trail but you will be awed by the perspective.

As someone else mentioned, Taking the shuttle to the end and walking the rim at Bryce is especially rewarding at sunset.

When you first arive in Moab, go to the ranger station/visitor center and reserve a guided hike through the Fiery Furnace. You'll be walking through a shady maze and you need a guide because you can so easily get disoriented.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Zion...Hike to Scout's Landing & also the Emerald Pools hike.

Bryce...we did the Peek-a-Boo but hear that the Queen's Garden is also stunning.

At Arches..Tower Arch as sharondi mentions will get you away from the crowds. The Devil's Garden trail using the "primitive trail" to make a loop of it is an excellent hike but might be scary for some (height). I don't think a visit to Arches would be complete without a visit to Delicate Arch...go early or late.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM

What I liked best about Bryce is that there were a lot of different hikes to do. The one that leads to Wall Street was really great. I don't remember it being that hard. We also rode horses there. That was a lot of fun and not as heart stopping as the Grand Canyon (which I could NOT do).
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Tip: My husband & I are heading toward Angel's Landing soon - we do light mountaineering so we'll use a modified Via Ferreta setup so at all times we'll have 2 anchor pts (between us, we'll use a 30 feet rope w/ 2 Screamers attached to the ends). It'll be slow but safe!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM

You can do fine with the Angels Landing hike and can opt to pass on the last 1/4 mile (this is the scary part with the chains--NOT for the faint of heart.) I loved this hike and it is short but strenuous.

For me, the Devil's Garden trail in Arches is one of the most amazing anywhere--don't miss it!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM

I agree, traveller1122, the Devil's Garden is one of my all time favorites - so much fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -