Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the worst things about San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Leslie

I am contemplating a move to San Diego from NYC. I want to know the worst things about this city. People seem to love it. I would especially like to hear from people who live there…

thanks!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Skip

Leslie, without a doubt the worst thing about San Diego is all the NY'ers moving here. If you do in fact come to paradise, you will need to check that NY attitude at the airport.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Elaine

The worst things are the housing costs, traffic & poor public transportation. But, I don't plan on ever leaving!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:07 AM
xxx

Low wages, high housing costs and horrible traffic!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Sandy

Agree with Elaine. Traffic, High housing costs and terrible public transportation. I do love it here, though!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:41 AM
New York exile

In addition to the previously mentioned negatives (traffic, high home prices, no public transportation, low wages), as a New Yorker, you will notice that the few theater productions here are second rate touring groups, the restaurants don't compare to New York's (and bring your own corned beef and bagels -- the delis and bakeries are really sad), classic culture (ballet, symphony) is almost non-existent), and the schools leave much to be desired.
While the weather is better than New York's, be sure to find out about May Gray and June Gloom if you're thinking about living near the coast. And if you're thinking about living inland, plan on super-high electricity bills in the summer because of the air-conditioning (assuming there are no black-outs).
And did I mention the forest fires if you live further out to get a cheaper house?
So welcome to San Diego!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 01:11 PM
mimi

I too am thinking of moving there from NYC. What are the problems with the schools, TOm, that you refer to? Will I need to go private??

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Barbara

Leslie, the worst thing about San Diego is the cost of housing. Yes, the traffic can be really bad during rush hours, but this is a big city and most big cities have the same problem.

Mimi, Exactly where in San Diego county you live will determine where you would send your kids to school. As a general rule of thumb, the most expensive houses are in the best school districts. There are exceptions, some areas in the city are lovely - and very expensive - but the neighborhood schools are poor. Your best bet is to talk to a realtor who specializes in relocation.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:25 PM
John

** most residents are transplants, so no 'traditional sense'
** people are quite superficial
** weather is very same and predictable
** lack of cultured feel
** everything is super casual all the time, which is great most times, but not at all times
** tax base being eroded continually
** huge illegal immigrant population
** schools don't compare well nationally

There's no perfect place.
I've lived all over the country.
You just have to find what works for you.
For me, SD wasn't it.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Leslie

John, what did work for you? Where are you now?

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate your input.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Joe

Absolutely idiotic local politicians. The city (mayor and council) and county government (stupidvisors) have no idea how to plan or manage anything. I think the biggest problem is that SD has grown so much in the last 20 years that the politicians still act like this is a big water town instead on the nation 7th largest city. They are complete knee-jerk reactionaries with the foresight of about 18 months.

Can't beat the weather, jobs, and geography though!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Hank

Unless you speak Spanish, you feel like your living in a foreign country.

Half the people in southern San Diego are here illegally.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Dena

"june gloom" That actually lasts three months. cold, cloudy, I couldn't deal with it.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:15 PM
SDTransplant

The people are not very friendly. Unless you're beautiful and athletic, you're not going to be in the "in" crowd!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Elaine

Some of these comments are crazy! I live in the Poway school district, one of the best in the state. 'June gloom' mostly affects the coast, cold is 60's to 70's in March-June. Which is a heck of alot better than rain & sleet & snow! Also, I find people very friendly here. I barely notice an immigrant population at all. But, I live Morth County Inland, so I can't speak for So SD. SD is very diverse, with Asian, Indian, Australian & Europeans.
Visit & see what you think.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Lenleigh

I am visiting SD right now and although I don't live here, there are many cities with worse public transportation than here. They have a light rail system,tons of trolleys/scenic tours (although expensive) and buses. The traffic is bad but where isn't it these days. I think it is beautiful here, I love the marina and all the walking I have been doing. The weather has been great,many things to do (tons of meuseums,beaches,wildlife,seafood!!!) and most of the people we have met have been really friendly. The only drawback I can really see is that I would never want to go to work when you can be on the ocean or hanging out in a park.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:47 AM
sd

If you're coming from NYC the traffic, housing/rental costs andtaxes would seem a relief to you. The diversity is about the same with less Europeans and more Mexicans instead of other Latins (Cuban,Dominican, PR).
Whay you will find disappointing is the lack of good Pizza (Only a few good ones in town like New York - Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest and Liberty Pizza in Pacific Beach among a few more). As mentiond there is relatively poor public transportation in comparison and less restaurants and theater. The city is much less lively than NY and stuff closes much earlier everywhere.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
homegrown

I was born and raised here, and came back here in 1998 after living in Los Angeles and Charlotte, NC for a few years. I would have to agree that poor public transportation is my main complaint because you have to heavily rely on your car (meaning higher insurance rates, more repairs to deal with). And housing prices are quite high, as is all of California, but not as bad as LA or San Francisco (or NYC).

As for the lack of "classic culture," such as theater, ballet, etc., that is somewhat true, but LA is just 2 hours away if you feel you really need to see "first-rate" performers each time. I am quite happy with the Old Globe productions here because they put on at least 2 Shakespeare productions in their repetoire every year; I don't claim to be a theater expert (I was a lit major), but the productions are quite good and satisfying (just to hear the Bard's words are what matter to me). And don't forget that a few Broadway productions started here (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Full Monty), so we are not so culturally desolate. Besides, with the great year-round weather, you may find yourself more occupied with hiking, biking, beach lounging, surfing, sailing, etc.

And for those who think people here are superficial, or there is no community feel or culture may not have experienced the whole city. I think these opinions may be from transplants, who tend to live in the north counties of San Diego (Del Mar, Encinitas, anything north of La Jolla) because these are the newer communities. Try venturing south of Interstate 8 or east of interstate 805 and you'll meet the real San Diegans; warm, friendly, culturally diverse. And yes, there are many Hispanic immigrants here (both legally and illegally), but most are like any other culture trying to escape the poverty of their homelands and are usually hard-working and kind people.

Lastly, I will say yes, we don't have the best pizza, but we do have some of the best Mexican food in the country. I am Asian, but I consider myself raised on Mexican food. Just ask my sister, who currently lives in New York and has been trying to get back to San Diego because of that (and the other great things about this city)!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:05 PM
xx

True, the NYC real estate prices are much higher than San Diego, but so are the income levels. San Diego has some of the lowest salaries for a big city.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:38 PM
InYoEye

Being a native San Diegan, the only people that I have found to be rude and have an "attitude", are the transplants (such as NewYorkers & Midwesterners). If you don't like a kicked back attitude - STAY WHERE U ARE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -