What are the odds Delta will fold?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked with delta, Manchester UK to Atlanta and then on to San Fran for are Honeymoon August next year.
Are they in a bad way? I did a fair bit of research into this when we booked in September but didnt find anything to make me think they would fold!
What would happen to are flights and fare if they did fold?
Worried!
Al
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

Delta is not in bankruptcy.

You are kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Don't worry, they are one of the healthier airlines.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM

Many airlines are operating in precarious financial positions. Delta is one of them (although not as dire as some). However, under US bankruptcy laws, Delta can continue (and in all likelihood WILL continue) to fly under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, as United Airlines and US Airways are doing currently. They won't fold (a real danger for US Airways, a much dicier situation). Our bankruptcy laws are pretty corporation-friendly.

The question you should be asking is: Will Delta continue to fly the MAN-SFO route in August if they're in Chapter 11? They may not. But I believe Delta has to accomodate you on another carrier in such a situation (American, Continental and United all offer MAN-SFO service).

It is incredibly early to be booking your flights, to be honest. Airfares are very volatile, but the fares are looking really high right now. I would have waited until spring 2005 to start pricing tickets.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

We only booked then because we got are return flights for $720!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM

Bankruptcy in the US is very different from bankruptcy in the UK. A company here is given every opportunity to continue as a going concern and the bankruptcy courts are partial to the companies and not their creditors.

You don't have the UK concept of going into receivership where a court appointed manager controls much of the process and the fate of the corporate entity.

However, as GoTravel suggested, Delta isn't in bankruptcy so you're putting the cart before the horse. They have some severe financial problems and some major issues to tackle, but they are far from ceasing operations. Of course, if oil goes to $70 a barrel and stays there, we might have a different discussion.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM

Delta, lately, has continually mentioned the "B word" but has not yet applied for Chapter 11 protection. If they do so they'll probably remain in business for a while but they could cut routes.

There is absolutely NO WAY you can predict this and, frankly, you may end up increasing your anxiety by asking this sort of question of people who are no better-equipped to predict the future than you are.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM

Perhaps this question was started by reading another thread here where someone mentioned that Delta was surely next to fold.

Delta is not yet in bankruptcy and I agree with Intrepid. After following discussions similar to these, there is no way anyone here can answer your question with any degree of certainty.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
GoTravel

karens, you know after reading your reply, I realized that our answers are pointless.

You are correct. No one does know what is going to happen to the airlines. People have been asking if US Airways is going under since September 11th and the doom and gloomers say yes and the optomists say no.

You are correct. Who knows?

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM

100 or more senior Delta pilots retired yesterday or today to avoid any loss of retirement benefits from Delta - when Delta does "crash", US taxpayers will be on the hook for their medical and retirement income.
You'll get $15.K a year from SSC and they will get >$45.K from the Fed'l Guaranteed pension (+ their SSC).
M
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
KT

Yeah, I remember posters saying with absolute certainty and the figures to match that United would absolutely, positively stop flying in February 2003. I don't recall any of them coming back to say "Never mind."
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Delta will not fold.

USAir will. (or one of the big international guys)

Opinion only.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:07 AM

With the state of the US airline industry, WHO KNOWS is the best answer - as given by many above. But that could also be said about virtually any other airline you would use for that trip. So worry about other wedding-related details, like who will sit next to who, how much the dress costs, etc.

And enjoy SF - it is a great city.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:28 AM
JJ5

Delta will be flying.

I have a round trip flight on ATA next Feb. and I don't know if that one will go. It was set up mid-year 2004 just before they announced. It does put you in a precarious situation. But they have already declared Chap.11 now and have started the process of re-leasing their gates at Midway and pulling out.

But they say to me that they will have a flight for me and that it should be ATA- they will not refund the money. I would have to get the money back through my credit card if they fold totally before the flights, I think. They refuse refund requests, beyond death/medical reasons etc. They are promising that we will get exact time/place flight from AirTran if gate changes and they take over their (ATA) schedule, if the worst occurs. So I'm just going to trust their word.
I'll let you know what happens.

We can always get another flight at O'Hare, if we need to, I have before, so I don't obsess about these things. But I can not believe the people who ask me about this over and over. They seem more worried than I am. With all airline travel today, you never have a sure thing. Not in my experience anyway-especially with Feb. Chicago weather.
Que sera, sera.

All airlines are having a time of it. But just because they are Chapter 11 and beyond doesn not mean they are going to be folding overnight.