Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the "Must See/Do/Eat" for Maui and Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:37 PM
Berk

Planning a family trip in June for our 1st time to Maui and Oahu. What are the things we should absolutely not miss doing, seeing, or eating at? Help!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:48 PM
e

On the MISS list, I'd put Oahu. Unless you have 2 weeks or more, spend all of your time on Maui. JMHO

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
ASR

Here is what we did last Sept. I don't think that we missed too much. There wasn't really anything that I would have skipped...
Oahu (only spent 2 nights...that is really all you need)
Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay for Snorkeling

Maui (7 nights)
Sunrise Bike Ride tour down Haleakala, Drive to Hana, Helicoptor Tour, Old Lahaina Luau, Snorkel Cruise to Molokini
Ate lunch at Mama's Fishhouse

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:41 AM
xxxxx

I won't go back to Oahu. Too commercialized. Maui is soo beautiful and tropical. Definately do the Road to Hana. Golf at Kapalua. And we did a whale watching cruise and saw both dolphins and whales.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Jenn

Although Oahu is very commercial, it's worth seeing at least once. Rent a car for a day in Honolulu(overnite parking is expensive.) I vote for Hanuamu Bay too(early in the day to avoid the crowds). It's shallow with lots of fish. You can rent equipment there or in Honolulu. Snorkel Bobs (in Honolulu) lets you rent on one island and return it to another. Also, on the north side of the island (much less crowded),you can see the famous surfing spots like Sunset Beach and the Pipeline. In Honolulu, I recommend eating lunch at Room Without a Key. Although it's kinda spendy (tho not really by Honolulu standards) it's worth it. It's in a hotel on the south side of Waikiki beach.

The other posts covered Maui pretty well. For good family places to eat, and inexpensive by Maui standards, are Cheeseburgers in Paradise and Maui Tacos. I wouldn't recommend a helicopter ride or Zodiac boat tour though. Helicopter equipment is not well maintained and I was surprised reading about a number of accidents (none fatal). Zodiac boat tours sometimes have inexperienced guides and can get caught places (caves, etc) when the tide turns. For a snorkeling place for families, I recommend Ollawala (sp?) which is quite shallow and calm. You can get a snorkeling map at any of the dive shops.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Celeste

Oahu remains my favorite island after three years of living in Hawaii. Those who say you only need two days simply haven't seen all the island has to offer! Honolulu and Waikiki are commercialized, yes (and Lahaina isn't?), but drive around the island and see all the wonderful spots from Hanauma Bay to the Windward Shore to the North Shore (watch the surfers with a shave ice from Matsumoto's in Haleiwa) to the middle of the island and then back to Waikiki through Pearl City, Pearl Harbor, downtown Honolulu and Chinatown!

Maui's nice, yes, and I've been there many times, but I wouldn't visit ANY island without visiting Oahu, too.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Graham

Hi, Spent two weeks on Oahu last September and enjoyed the experience. Used this forum to find out what to see & do and worked well. Restaurants I'd go to again - Hau Tree Lanai was a perfect place to watch the sunset - be sure to get a beachfront table - a great restaurant. A little Mexican place called La Bamba - cheap as but great Mexican. Hanuama Bay is a great experience - snorkel Bob's hires the gear. We went to Germaine's Luau and although hardly "authentic" it was a fun night. Let me know if you need any other hints - happy to help - Graham

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Berk

Wow...thanks a lot everyone for all the info. Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Maui that has the new "superpool"? Any tips on interisland flights. We will be flying Continental and they fly to Oahu. So, we will have to catch a flight to Maui. Thanks again everyone!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Sarah

I will comment only on Oahu, as I must put an end to this Hawaii on the brain behavior of mine.

Read the “Concise Version of Hawaiian History” (85 pages) and rent “Hawaii” the movie (James Michner) just to get an appreciation for Hawaii’s unique culture and history. I find that this kind of preparation enhances any trip.

I never make my must do list as I am over come with relaxing but if it were the best of all vacations;

Oahu
At least ONE gourmet meal at a high-end restaurant is a must for me. First Choice "Alan Wongs", "3666", Roy's and others according to your palate. I think Asian food is remarkable on Oahu and I like how it influences contemporary cuisine there. So one chef of national acclaim for me. There are a number of excellent French Restaurants but if you are coming from a part of the country where you can find this why not explore something new. I would also insist on one excellent China town Restaurant, Seafood Kingdom. You really never had Chinese like this before or at least I have not. A far cry from beef& broccoli and General So's (sp) Chicken.

Sites Oahu

Iolani Palace
Byodo Temple
Hanama Bay
North Shore Heau
Pali Lookout
East Coast drive to Windward side starting in Diamond head
Drive around most edges of the island if time permits.
Hike Light House Makapu
Go online see if any ethnic festivals are offered at that time. Call Japanese Cultural Center see what is on I look for tea ceremonies but sometimes there are events organized with Japan that you are not likely to ever have the opportunity to see on the mainland; Kabuki, drum, Kimono displays, Parades and festivals.

Bishop Museum (similar to Ellis island in documenting the immigration of Hawaii citizens). Sunset beach North Shore keep eyes pealed for Alii birthing ground on drive leading into north shore( in pineapple fields )(tall trees in circle in the middle of a pineapple field. Breath in deeply and see if you can smell pineapple. I forget when the harvest is but when it is hot it can smell like someone is baking pineapple upside down cake, sweet and warm.
June 11th is King Kamehmeha (king that united all five islands and put an end to constant power struggles/violence amongst each) day celebration the parade is a definite must and I would look for a local luau that might be timed to take place on this holiday.
Local munchies I would try: Mochi if you don’t find a fresh bakery than pull some mochi covered ice cream from a super market, Leonards Malasadas. I always have to have Lomi Salmon, Chicken Lau Lau, teriyaki chicken and saimin.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:58 AM
sss

Love Oahu also but with only two weeks I would stay put on one island I chose a different plan with my two weeks last summer splitting up Kauai and Oahu. Too short a time to get Acclimated. You find yourself just getting into the swing and then you are leaving, two weeks in one place is a better idea unless you are a born island hopper/someone that does not like to sit still. I took first timers on this trip and they agreed.

I also love Oahu so this is hard decision also depends on what you look for in your time away isolation outdoors or cultural,historical,nightlife some isolation this is how the islands look at these two islands.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:11 AM
KELLY HUGHEY

SEE THE SUNRISE AT HALEAKALA, ROAD TO HANA & I REALLY ENJOYED HIKING IN IAO VALLEY.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:32 AM
aimee

Depending on the ages of your kids you might want to check out the Polynesian Culteral center. It is an ALL DAY affair and i personally don't think it needs to be, but kids really enjoy it and you learn a lot about the Hawaiian culture and history. Food is cafeteria style, but edible and the show at the end of the day is fun. You take a bus there so you are stuck, if you get a good driver the ride over can be fun and you see all kinds of neat things.

In Oahu we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian village and had no real need to leave the property - they had shopping restaurants (the best King Crab Legs ever) and entertainment. Plus great a great pool and beach. Parasailing is fun in Hawaii too.

As far as a should miss, in my opinion is the Road to Hana. A lot of people love it, it has nice waterfalls and pretty scenery, but it will drive kids nuts and it is too long. The road is also extremely narrow and windy and locals are very used to it and can get annoyed at your over cautious driving.

I won't go back to Ohahu again, but I don't regret going. I think it should be seen at least once. I just hope you are going there before Maui. That is the only way it will work!

In Hawaii everyone is "cousin" and there are some of the friendliest people in the world. Very laid back too. Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures!

Aimee

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Linda

Again with the beratement of Oahu. I'm gonna consider it one of my life missions to try to debunk at least some of all the Oahu-bashing on this board. We made our first-ever trip to Hawaii last year - 10 glorious Oahu days. Stayed on North Shore, so was out of the Wakiki hustle. Palm trees, sunsets, and more beaches to visit and compare than I could do in a lifetime.

Pack up a picnic lunch for the icechest (or better yet, just wait and spend the $ for a shrimp plate from Giovanni's lunch truck at Kahuku - a little pricey, but unbelievably good) and JUST DRIVE. Oahu's windward side (we recommend North Shore too) is so georgous, and there's so many places (beaches) to stop and drop your jaw, that you need at least 2 (no, 3) days of "beach-hopping" to do it justice. Stop at any and all beaches that catch your eye. Kualoa Park is awesome w/its views of Chinaman's Hat, and a perfect park for that picnic. And what was the name of that small but majestic beautiful bay we drove around? Kahana? And Pounder's Beach w/its big surf (Aug.) and awesome views. And great fast-food eats and friendly people and a beautiful city beach park at Haleiwa (and ahi fresh out of the water to take back to your grill for supper). And watching the windsurfers at Mokuleia. And the sharp lava and full-out-mother-nature-in-charge-feeling of the Kaena end of the island. (Can you tell, we REALLY enjoyed our Oahu vacation.....?)

GET OUTTA WAKIKI AND SEE THE REST OF OAHU. Relax while you're doing it. Wakiki (and Honolulu) were great for day-trips, we're glad we got to see the sights, but the best times of our trip were when we just put on our swimsuits and drove around w/no plans and stopped on any whim.....OAHU RULES. (Sorry.....)