Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the most underrated and overlooked attractions in the U.S.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Cindy

We have a fun thread going about attractions that should be skipped. But what are the attractions in the U.S. that the typical tourist would miss that are really too good to miss? Diamonds in the rough, as they say. Let's think of one thing that a tourist should really juggle their schedule to see.

In D.C., I will nominate Ford's Theatre, where Lincoln was shot. It is off the beaten path a bit (not on the Mall), but I really like it. It isn't a typical "museum" because you're going to the actual place where the events took place. They have items involved in the assassination, and they provide lots of details that the typical middle-school education doesn't provide. They have ranger talks where the tourists are seated in the theatre, and the ranger goes through the actual events. Even my kids liked this one, and the whole thing is free.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Diane

It's not exactly overlooked, because there are often huge lines on holidays and weekends, but Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home near Charlottesville, VA) is totally fascinating. It is so much more than just a beautiful home with cool antique furnishings. The engineering and archtectural brilliance displayed are amazing for (think of it) over 200 years ago!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:41 AM
kal

I agree with post of these posts.

I could sit in Ford's theater all day and just soak up the historical significance that took place. And it's air conditioned!

And Monticello, walking the same grounds Jefferson did! Outstanding!

I'd like to add the San Francisco Bay Area to the list of free, underrated and overlooked attractions.

If you get a good "perch" on the Marin Co. side, you have the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Bay Bridge, entire
SF skyline, Twin Peaks antenna, Treasure Island, Angel Island, Berkeley, all of the ships, powerboats, sailboarders, sailboats, etc playing in the bay. Some days it's BREATHTAKING!

Wow....I think I just talked myself into going to Northbeach for an expresso at Cafe Puccini.
Kal

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Caitlin

I agree with Kal that visitors to SF miss out by not going for "outside" views of the city and Bay, both from Marin Co. and from the East Bay, especially the Berkeley hills. While we're in Northern CA, I also think that the coastal region north of SF is overlooked. Everyone drivea down the coast looking for coastal views and charm (and there's plenty), but misses out on the gorgeous and different coastal view/charm of places like Gualala and Mendocino, which are less cowded, less touristy, and a little more "wild."

In NYC, museumgoers hit the biggies--the Met, MoMA, Nat History, maybe the Guggenheim or the Whitney--but there are dozens of great, smaller museums dedicated to everything from NYC history to immigrant history to photography to Native American to African American art. Also, people who like to check out ethnic neighborhoods go to Chinatown and Little Italy (which is more a tourist-stop than a real ethnic neighborhood now), but don't venture outside Manhattan to the really vibrant Italian, Greek, Indian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, etc. neighborhoods in the outer boroughs.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:24 AM
kal

Caitlin, Re: NYC/immigrants...I got the biggest lump in my throat and still get goose bumps when I recall our visit to Ellis Island.

Just to think of what it was like when my wife's parents and my grandparents came through there looking for a better life. And not being able to speak a word of English!
I couldn't even imagine what it would be like when it was up and operating.
Kal

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Caitlin

Kal, Ellis Island is great, but not actually overlooked--lots of prople go there. I was actually thinking of places like the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and museums devoted to Puerto Rican experience, etc.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Jeanette

There are so many places in the Midwest that are overlooked because they are too far off the beaten track for most tourists. One is a place I just went to myself last week for the first time and am ashamed of myself for not going before as it was one of the most beautiful places that I have seen outside of Europe. It was the Chicago Botanical Gardens in Glencoe, Illinois.
I happened to visit it on a nearly perfect weather day and it's mid-summer bounty is beyond the beyond. There is a
classical English wall garden, Japanese Garden, Home Landscaping Area, Fruit/Orchard/Vegtable, Bulb Garden,
Rose Garden, on and on. There is even an
"Enabling" Garden built up at chest levels so that it can be attended by
wheel chair. There is also a minature railroad garden section. Like Brookfield Zoo, it's too far for most tourists to get to.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:21 AM
Lisa

Also in D.C., the statue of Einstein. It sits along Constitution Avenue, across the street from the area of the Vietnam Memorial, and used to be obscured by trees and shrubs. Apparently, someone with some power decided it has been overlooked for too long, and recently had the trees removed so that you can now see the statue from the street.

It's a wonderful, whimsical look at Einstein, and legend has it that if you kiss your signficant other while siting in Einstein's lap, you'll be together forever. Worked for me so far!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:23 AM
Bob Brown

I am not sure if the Wind River Range of mountains in Wyoming, some to the southeast of the Tetons is overlooked or just bypassed because it is not very easy to penetrate the area in a standard car. I have not seen as much of it as I would like because of the lack of entrance points and roads.
Another area that is not usually visited is Toroweap Point on the north side of the Grand Canyon. It takes a high clearance vehicle to get in there.
I am not sure if these area are overlooked or if they are not often visited because trying to get to them is prohibitive.
Of the areas that are reachable by paved roads, how about Cedar Breaks! But it does get its share of visitors.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:30 AM
John

Nice thread!

I often hear people say that the visited NYC and what they REALLY mean is that they Visited Manhattan, probably the Manhattan from 96st on south. The other boroughs are the TRUE NYC. Get out and explore Brooklyn, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyns Heights, Brooklyn Gardens, Bronx..City Island, Arthur Ave, Bronx Zoo, Queens..Ah! I leave it to someone else to finish Queens and Statae Island!!

PSack to Cindy: I just looked at booking a party in a "old Manhattan Steakhouse" called "Keens" Well they have various rooms, Civil War Room, Lilly Langtree room, etc. One of the rooms had Lincoln Memorabilia including the playbill that Lincoln was holding when he was SHOT!!! It still had the dried blood on it, I was astonished!! It sits in an unassuming frame held in by small nails. There is a newspaper article explaining how the resturant came to own it!!

JOHN

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Sabrina

My mind is blanking on the name, but there is a cemetery in Boston that holds the remains of revolutionary war heros like Crispus Attucks to historical figures like Samuel Adams and Benjamin Franklin. I think it's Faneuil Cemetery. It's small, but beautiful and, next to Arlington, has to be the most "historic" cemetery in the U.S.

Sticking with Boston, I'd also say the monument to the Civil War's 54th Regiment is often overlooked. It is breathtaking and pays long overdue homage to black soldiers who fought to save the union.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Glenn

Again Boston--during one of my trips, I went to the Kennedy Library. THe setting was beautiful, and I found the displays to be very well done. Kind of choked me up.

New York--during my only visit, I went to the Cloisters, on the northern tip of Manhattan. Just walking there from the subway was worth the trip--it is a truly beautiful area. The displays in the museum are amazing. One of the best places I visited in New York.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Bill

Before a trip to Oregon last year, I was vaguely aware of the Columbia River Gorge area, but was greatly surprised at the scenic beauty of this area, and surprised that some of it is not a national park.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Cindy

John,

So *that's* where Lincoln's Playbill went! :-0

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:12 PM
Al

Neal Sanders recently posted a wonderful trip report about Brooklyn on this web site. Sure was an eye-opener.

Has anyone visited German Village in the middle of Columbus, Ohio? You will be amazed at this piece of urban preservation and reconstruction.

I nominate Catoctin Mountain, MD when the peaches are coming in. Just about the end of August.

Here's a big-time winner. The Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka, CA. Huge meals served family style in what was once the messhall of the enormous lumber mill.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Ruth

You'd have to have a taste for the offbeat, but...in Bridgeport, CT, the Barnum Museum is full of interesting, historical, and sometimes bizarre artifacts.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 04:46 PM
BuckeyeChuck

Hey Al-I live in Columbus. Thanks for the recommendation on German Village. It is a great little place. You should also check out the Short North, and the Ohio Village at the Ohio Historical Society. It is an 18th century village and they have baseball games with the teams dressing and using equipment from that era. Pretty fascinating!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Bob Brown

Just about on the North and South Carolina line, west of Brevard, NC, and north of Clemson SC, Whitewater Falls is a little known scenic special. It is located just off of SC route 130 and NC route 281. It is a little remote.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:02 AM
karen

Yea, but I can't imagine a trip to German Village without the obligatory stop at Reb's for some turtle soup!!!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Sylvia

The Pictured Rocks national Sea Shore on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on Lake Superior near Munising is breathtaking. It is usually empty but for a few backpackers. There are also many lovely waterfalls in the area, all within a short hike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -