Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are people wearing now in South Beach?? I am 40, a size 12, and hopelessly unfashionable!

Search

What are people wearing now in South Beach?? I am 40, a size 12, and hopelessly unfashionable!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2 weeks I'm going with some girlfriends to South Beach. We'll only be there 4 days/3 nights. It was just a spur-of-the-moment trip we put together, and we wanted to go someplace warm and fun. South Beach was agreed upon. OK, great!

OK-- my delemma is this: I have no idea what clothing to pack! I'm 40 and could stand to lose about 10-15 pounds. Once firm flesh has turned a little soft. I have no idea what people are wearing in SoBe, and I'm panicing! I so afraid I'm going to stand out as one of the tragically un-hip in the land of beautiful people. And, from looking at the weather channel, I happen to notice that it's not that hot down there...... (upper-70's during the day. Great weather to be sure, but not the 90's either-- which lends itself to skimpy clothing.)

Someone please help me! LOL! (I'm chuckling to myself as I type this, but I really could use some feedback....after I'm done with this, the aerobics tape is going on!!)
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
TAW

This is just my opinion but the basic black/tan/white are always safe. Black slacks or capris or whatever they are called now with a top in any of those 3 colors and maybe a colorful scarf or some cute jewelry and you're good to go. Basic AND classy and you probably already have it in your closet. Easier for packing and mix/matching. Comfy black sandals and you're on your way. Have fun!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Hi Sue,

The best style/color is confidence.

If you are not built like a supermodel, then there's no reason to dress like one.

My suggestion would be to pair black capris (universally-flattering and perfect for a variety of temps) or dark jeans with tops in bright colors.

Flatter your best assets. Pretty bust? Wear something snug, and/or lowcut. Shapely arms? Choose sleeveless.

If all else fails, a nice manicure and pedicure, sexy strappy sandals and black separates always work - no matter your size.

As long as you stay away from fanny packs and white tennis shoes, you will be fine.

Focus on how much fun you are going to have wining and dining and going to the clubs, and don't worry about others' perceptions. When it comes right down to it - who cares what they think? Go and have a great time.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Diana said it so well. Listen to her, stand up straight and have a ball. Confidence is a very sexy attribute for man or woman. Arrogance, no, confidence, yes.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, girls!! I have already decided on black-- I travel with that all the time, for reasons we all know. I've got lots of nice tops and fun shoes, so I guess I'm doing alright. The fanny pack and sneakers were not even a consideration.

Thanks SO much! I'm feeling better already!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pack from your ow closet, clothes that would be good for similar weather at home, but only pick out the outfits or pieces you REALLY like... you know the ones, that make you feel you are lookin' good, the ones you reach for first.

I choose from my "dressy casual" for travel (i.e., more casual than the office but dressier than weekends at home). I don't like to buy new stuff to take on a trip unless you have time to wear it a few times to make sure it "works" for you.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM
GoTravel

Hi Sue!

I'm 41 and in South Beach quite frequently and can tell you that you'll fit in just fine if you leave the capris at home!

Hip jeans with stilettos and fun tops will get you in everywhere! Don't like jeans? Cute skirts and sundresses.

Nothing screams 'out of place' faster in South Beach than capri pants!

Have tons of fun and don't worry, not everyone there is 5'10 and a size zero!

PS Make sure you have a cool bathing suit and coverup! The pool and beach 'scene' is very much intact. Really cool sunglasses are a must!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add, don't worry about having $300 Chanel sunglasses, buy the fakes. Oversized or a form of the aviators are very now.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the tips GoTravel. I'll be in SoBe next week too. Trish
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:40 AM
GoTravel

Have a fabulous time Trish!

Is the hubby going with you? If so most places are pretty strict about No Shorts after 5PM for men. Women can wear just about anything.

Mr.GoTravel has about 10 pair of linen drawstring pants he wears with flip flops and he gets in everywhere.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Can you take a couple hints from a guy?

Two big mistakes that "amply endowed" women make:

#1, a size 12 saying "I do have a size 10 I can fit into" so she does and looks terrible. Better to wear a size bigger, no one is looking at your label, honey. A size 12 woman looks better in a size 14 than in a size 10 any day!

#2, don't think that because you're a little "oversized" that wearing dark dull clothes will make you look better. What you will accomplish is looking like a woman who couldn't find anything attractive to fit. Wear something with color and pizazz. If you must wear basic black, then you need colorful and wild accessories -- a brilliantly colored scarf, huge colorful jewelry, or even -- gasp -- a hat. You aren't going to look like a size 2 in that simple black dress so don't try. Go another direction.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Go! I'll be there all week & Anthony is flying down Thursday night for the weekend. Good to know about the no shorts rule. I'll be sure to let him know.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM

You've gotten some sound advise! Don't forget the chic hat to go along with the cover-up and sunglasses while at the pool/beach.

During the day, think Banana Republic. At night, nice dark demin jeans with a great skimpy top to show off your tan! If you're not into jeans, then grab a pair of black slacks.

Whatever you wear, Rule #1 is to be comfortable and that includes what you'll be wearing on your feet! My guess is that you'll be walking up and down Ocean, Collins, Washington and Lincoln Road so wear some comfy sandals! Not flip-flops! Think comfy- sexy open-toed sandals.

Have a blast!!!
;-)
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM

One more guy checking in here:

Please be yourself, who are you trying to impress?

I recognize the requirement to "feel good" about yourself but as someone else mentioned, it's all about self confidence IMHO. Perhaps that is a useless statement based on your original post but I hope not!

Have fun with the girls, damn what others think!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
sallylouise

I'd like to know what 40 year old size 12 is going to wear the style clothes found at Banana Republic??? A skimpy top??? PLEEEEEZE! Guess I am just an old fuddy duddy!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Well sallylouise, I 'm 35 not 40, but I'm a size 10/12 at the moment. I find plenty of clothes to my liking at Bananna Republic, and when they are the proper size for my body they look great.

I have no problem wearing sleeveless tops (skimpy is perhaps not the best word to have used?).

I agree with the idea that if you feel good in what you're wearing your confidence comes through and you'll be just fine.

If you think you're a fuddy-duddy that's you doing that to you - not us.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Lots of older women shop at Banana Republic! A bunch of my friends' moms actually shop there and are in their 50's and us "kids" are in our 20's. Chic is chic and BR has lots of "classic" takes on tops, bottoms and basics. Style icons like Jackie O. and Audrey Hepburn knew that sometimes the most basic outfit, if done right, is the most chic.

Anyways, my point is that a size 12, 40 year-old woman (Banana Republic sells up to a size 16 I think) would be able to find something cute to wear on vacation there. Also try J.Crew or even Old Navy---you've got to pick and choose smartly at Old Navy but boy can you find some good deals on basic black pants or slim cut t-shirts!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Sally, I believe she said she was 40 -not 80!

I live in Miami, happen to be 39, also wear a size 12 and shop at Banana Republic all the time.

Their "contour" slacks and jeans are fantastic. Their 3/4 sleeve shirts are great for work and their casual tops are great for our tropical weather... shall I go on?

Sue, the only items I'd tell you to skip are shell/nautical stlye earring, necklaces, shirts etc. You'll stick out like a sore thumb with a pair of anchor earings and a colorful hawaiian blouse.

Less is always more!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM
GoTravel

I'm 41 a size 10, a marathon runner, and I wear skimpy tops quite frequently!

It depends on how you wear it not what you wear.

The bigger the size, the more you have to pay attention to construction of a garment and the fabric.

No one said to let your gut, boobs, and back fat hang out.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Shouldn't your boobs hang out in South Beach?

Suestein, just be yourself and be comfortable in whatever you choose to wear.

I know I stuck out like a sore thumb with two young kids in tow. But guess what? We were treated fabulously at the restaurant we went to and had a really fun time watching the beautiful people in their skimpy clothes. There was no way I could compete, so I just enjoyed myself and didn't worry. Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -