Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What a brazillian turist has to do in Washington DC ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 12:18 PM
Marilia

I plan to visit Washington in the next january. I love the snow but I'm afraid about the wheather. At the end of this month is still very cold ? We can walk on the streets dressing a warmthy coat ?

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Joe

I've lived in Washington for 6 years, and I promise you that no one can predict whether there will be snow here in January (or any other time). Sometimes yes - - even lots of it, sometimes not a flake. However, the temperatures don't usually go too far below 25-30F in January. You'll want warm clothes, but it's comfortable if you're prepared.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 09:37 PM
Emily

I'm from Southern California and I HATE the cold. But I've been to D.C. several times in the winter and you can still get around and have a good time. Dress warmly and go inside often to warm up. If it gets too bad, get on a nice, warm tour bus. Here's a tip -- if it gets really cold, take off your earrings when you go outside; otherwise your ears will ache!

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 05:55 AM
britney

Its so unpredictable here. ONe time, it snowed in early April! I would just dress warmly, but no one knows when the snow will come..or how much. It varies. Just be prepared..bring warm shoes and clothes..Washington is managable in the cold - especially since most things are indoors..

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Beth

Hi Marilia,

I can't speak to the weather in DC, but I wanted to offer some general advice about staying warm. The most important this is to keep your extremities warm. Bring gloves, a hat or scarf , and warm socks (wear 2 pairs at once!) and boots. If your feet and hands are warm it will be much more pleasant.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 01:12 PM
lisa

Hi Marilia. I live in Washington, DC. In the past 5 years that I have lived here, we have had at least one January when the temperature was over 70 degrees Fahrenheit for several days in a row, and another January when we had a 5-day blizzard and the whole city closed down for 4 days because there was so much snow. But both of those are unusual. Usually it does not snow here much in the wintertime. Normal January high temperatures are in the 40s and when we're lucky we have warm spells in the low 50s; it is not uncommon. Bring a warm coat and scarf and some gloves and you will be fine. It is best to bring several thin layers, so you can wear, for example, a short sleeved cotton or silk (silk is warmest) shirt with another silk, cotton, or wool sweater over it and then your jacket or coat over that, so that when you go indoors you can take off the outer layers and won't be too warm.