Reload this Page >

Whale Watching Worth It?

Search

Whale Watching Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Please help

Whale Watching Worth It?

Going to Cape Cod for the long weekend. Never been on a whale watching trip. Just my luck I won't see anything or when the whale goes by I'll be looking down. Is it worth it? Will I see a whale, or should I just head down to the pub and search for some pink elephants instead?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
doc

its worth it. They will find the whales. Just make sure you dont get seasick and puke over the side while the whale is breaching

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Syv

Yes - it's worth it. I went on a whale-watching trip from Newfoundland, Canada.

Of course, I would be the one who isn't ready to snap the photo at exactly right moment...

They definitely found LOTS of whales to watch.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:52 AM
helen

Depends on what you see. On my first while watching cruise we saw a dozen or so tails and one baby waving its pectoral fin out of the water. Could have been better.

The next time was just remarkable. We saw three or four dozen whales and six or eight breach, including a double breach. Several came out of the water within a half-boat length of us.

Whale watch operators consider seeing a whale breach to be a successful excursion, and most operators will refund your money or reschedule you if no whales at all are seen.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:47 PM
whale

Some days are better than others. I suggest you bring binoculars and and camera with a zoom lens. Most times you're a pretty fair distancd from the whales.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Lucky?

I've gone on a number of whale watches, and have never once seen a whale breech!