whale watching

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

whale watching

I will be on Maui in February. Which tour should I take for whale watching?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:50 AM

We used the Pacific Whale Foundation. They have a website with lots of info. They are, in my opinion, the most environmentally-friendly towards the whales, and the dolphins, and do lots to protect them. When we toured with them, three whales put on quite a show for us, with one swimming up beside the boat (within petting distance, had someone chosen to do it), and then swam under the boat. It was awesome!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:13 PM

My 2 favorite whale watch companies on Maui are Pacific Whale & Captain Steves. You have to be a little adventurous to go out with Steve, as his boats are the Zodiac raft type - check out his website, if you're interested. I go to Maui at least once a year, have been there about 16 times & I had the most awesome whale watch trip in January with Pacific Whale!! It was absolutely the best I've ever had - even the boat captain was using his video camera.

Aloha & have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:29 PM

I can tell you who to avoid! That would be Trilogy out of Lahaina. They have a small catamaran with little to no seating and flimsy railings. Because it is a lightweight vessel, you are tossed violently around the boat. The tour guides claim to know what they are talking about, but as Maui Revealed book describes, they are quite full of themselves.

When we go back, there is no doubt we will go with Pacific Whale Foundation as we haven't heard a bad thing yet about them. PWF recommends that you stick with one of their bigger boats if you are prone to sea sickness (like myself who became violently sick on the Trilogy cat and the staff couldn't have cared less). The bigger PWF boats go out of Ma'alaea Bay where their offices are located.