Search

Wetsuits keep you warm in cold ocean?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wetsuits keep you warm in cold ocean?

Hi
Will a wetsuit (full body) keep you pretty warm in cold (60-plus degrees)water? Thinking of buying some for our family so we can swim without waiting till summer. Advice on what style? How about the ones with zipoff arms & legs for warmer water later on? Any advice appreciated. My sister says they really don't keep you that warm. Is she wrong? Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM

They shield your body from the cold. My teenagers say, they keep you warm but not that warm. They went on to say that if you pee in them, you'll get warm. Not kidding - that's what they do. Gross, but true.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Yes wetsuits work, you just need to make sure that you get one that is thick enough...5 - 7 mm for that temperature.

I wouldn't opt for zip outs...too cumbersome, and too many zippers to break.

You could pick up a "farmer john" style (tank top and full legs) or a "shorty" (short sleeves and short legs) for warmer swimming.

I'd talk to somebody at a surf/water sport shop to make sure the fit is right (not too loose)
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
J62

Here's the link to current water temperatures - 71 today and will continue to get warmer week to week.

www.heraldtribune.com/section/news0703

I've brought (borrowed) wet suits to the Jersey shore before (Aug water temp near 70) - the kids tried them on once, went into the water for 5min, then refused to wear them again. Too tight, too loose, too itchy, too uncomfortable, too much effort to put on/take off, too whatever.

I think a wet suit is a good idea if you plan to submerge for long periods of time - I bring a short sleeved top to the Caribbean as even 80 degree water can chill you in 30min or so if you're not moving vigorously. For a trip to the beach I think wet suits are a waste of money and packing space. If the air is hot the family will play in the water if it's 70. Perhaps just for a few min at at time. There's always the hotel pool too.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM

60 degrees is cold when in water for a period of time. A wet suit will use external water and your own body temp. to warm you. You'll also need to cover feet, hands and the head to maintain the temp.
One tip; The less the amount of seams and zippers, the warmer you'll stay.
As suggested you'll need to determine the thickness gauge according to the temp. of the water.

A dry suit literally keeps you dry and much warmer than a wet suit. They're more cumbersome though.
Go to a good dive shop and expect to spend $$$.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
J62

Unless I'm mistaken this is for a family trip to the beach in Sarasota, FL over spring break, not a diving expedition. Based on other posts, they are concerned that the gulf temp will be too cold to swim in - current temp is 71.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Didn't get the impression either that they were diving but the same principles apply.
As for temp. no help there as I only had the OP stating 60+ to reference. Perhaps linda8 will come back to clarify.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM

A wetsuit will keep you warm enough if you choose the right thickness.

For temperatures in the low to mid 70s, I would say either a 3 or 5 mil would work. Which one depends on your individual tolerance to temperatures, though.

Wetsuits can be expensive, though. Generally the thicker they are, the more expensive they are.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM

wetsuits keep you warm enough but it is uncomfortable. for gulf waters, i mush prefer not having them on. that or get a drisuit. drisuits are more expensive though...
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. Yes, we were planning on Sarasota. My niece called me today from Tampa and said the water is ice cold, she could only put her feet in, then got out!
I appreciate everyone's input. I guess the smart thing to do is just wait till summer when the water's nice & warm!!! Thanks to all!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM

A 3mm wetsuit would be plenty warm enough for 60 plus water. You should into whats called Farmer John's...the ones that are cut off at the knees and have your arms exposed would give them better mobility to swim in the surf.

Will
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM

The surfers surfing long sands and Higgins beach and points in between seem to think they work .water temps are 37' f but the sun was out if that helps keep you warmer.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM

My daughter and I rented wetsuits in San Diego thinking we would give surfing a try. We lasted in the water less than 5 minutes and never even got our heads wet. We did not have our hand and feet covered. There were many people out there surfing away, but I just don't know how they stood it.