Westin Maui

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 02:29 PM
Kevin

Westin Maui

I am planning to stay at the Westin on Maui. Would appreciate comments on this property from those of you that have stayed there.

Thanks

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 03:18 PM
Scott

Hi Kevin - Stayed there on honeymoon, cut visit short as hotel was not great. The rooms were small, musty. The room service dishes of others remained in the hall for our 3 days there. The staff is impersonal, to the point of indifferent. The hotel itself is beautiful. The beach was lovely, but the surf is strong and rough. Be sure if you go that you get a room in the Beach Tower. The other rooms are TINY!! BTW, we were invited back by the gen. mgr. for a stay after writing a letter of complaint. The rooms had been renovated, but the other complaints stood. We will not give them another try. Good luck.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 03:54 PM
Scott

Hi Kevin - Stayed there on honeymoon, cut visit short as hotel was not great. The rooms were small, musty. The room service dishes of others remained in the hall for our 3 days there. The staff is impersonal, to the point of indifferent. The hotel itself is beautiful. The beach was lovely, but the surf is strong and rough. Be sure if you go that you get a room in the Beach Tower. The other rooms are TINY!! BTW, we were invited back by the gen. mgr. for a stay after writing a letter of complaint. The rooms had been renovated, but the other complaints stood. We will not give them another try. Good luck.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:38 PM
annemarie

I read likewise in some of the more recent ratings! Why don't you look into the Hyatt next door or, even better, the Four Seasons or the Kea Lani in Wailea?Annemarie

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 05:29 PM
charlie>annema

Annemarie I've booked a package at the Maui Marriot for two weeks,what do you know of this hotel?? Thanks !!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 04:47 AM
Bart

Charlie, we have stayed at the Marriott 7 out of the 8 times we've been to Maui. The rooms are large and have been well maintained over the years. You didn't say when you are going but they are doing a massive renovation of the Marriott. They will be shutting down 1/2 of the hotel to convert to timeshare. In February, they had already closed the Lokelani restaurant. I spoke to the Managerr and he assured me that there will be no inconveniences during ther renovations.
I'm sure you will get a real good package so it will be worth while. I pefer thew Kaanapali area to both Wailea and Kapalua because of proximaty to Lahaina, etc. More activity.
Bart

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 05:36 PM
charlie

Hi Bart,thanks for the reply,we will be at the Marriot in Sept. for 2 weeks and expect to have a ball.We plan on a lot of snorkeling as we are told the seas are calm in Sept.(less wind).Thanks again !!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:19 PM
karen

Dear Kevin,

I would also suggest that you try the
Hyatt next door or my personal preference after 15 trips to Maui is
the Wailea resort area. Try the Kea Lani Resort or splurge & stay at Grand Wailea, it's ultra expensive but has the best restaurants, the worlds only water elevator, a multi tiered multi level pool with swim up bar & sauna & I could go on & on. There is also a Four
Seasons in Wailea its a little stuffy but quiet & private. Hope that helps write if you need further info.