Western ski choice for Intermediate Couple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're wanting to take a 3-4 day ski trip to somewhere new Rockies or further west this winter. What sounds perfect for:

Couple in our 40s, no children.
One Low-Mid Intermediate and one Advanced Intermediate.
Want long winding trails with pretty scenery.
Enough runs in area to be entertained for 3 days.
Base lodging for at least 2 days--will drive/shuttle for 1 day.
Limited lines or at least polite crowd.
No need for nightlife or dining out.
Price is a consideration.

We've been to Winter Park (like it but tired of it), Keystone (OK), Breckenridge (too crowded and pushy, most runs we tried seemed straight and boring), Squaw Valley (beautiful), and Kirkwood (OK).

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM

We also like Winter Park and Squaw Valley.

One place I'd recommend is Steamboat Springs. It's got great runs and scenery, friendly people, not any glitz.

Another place we like is Heavenly Valley in South Lake Tahoe; I think it's the most beautiful place we've ever skied. Of course it's got lots of nightlife, but we just ignore that. We're in our mid 50s, and ski from 9AM to 4PM, so our idea of nightlife is staying awake through dinner.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Why not base yourself in Truckee and go to Northstar, Alpine Meadows, Squaw and Sugar Bowl? Check their web sites for special ticket deals.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for such quick advice. Steamboat is a possibility if we can get a decent airfare.

My husband doesn't want to drive everyday and is tired of riding shuttle buses. The one time we stayed at a base village has spoiled him, I guess!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Go for Steamboat! I'm partial to the place, very down to earth, especially compared to some of the other Rockies resorts. I'll be there next month at this time!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:58 PM

How about Big Mountain in Montana? Opened Thanksgiving and going strong. For more info.
www.bigmtn.com
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM

Big Sky is a good bet. We go every year, and while we are expert skiiers, we can still enjoy LONG runs with the 5 year old on some wonderful blues and easy blacks. Big Sky has wonderful terrain, a GREAT hotel at the base - The Summit, no lift lines (really) and incredible views. The Summit is pricey, but The Huntley Loge is also at the base and more affordable. We like Big Sky MUCH more than any Colorado resorts, including Steamboat. Fly into Bozeman, Mt and take the shuttle to the resort or rent a 4X4. 45 minutes and you're there. Not much night life, but great skiing - even for intermediates!! BIGSKYRESORT.COM
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:43 PM

Snowbird, Utah - They now offer a combined Snowbird/Alta pass that gives you twice the runs and we've already received lots of great snow.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't do Big Sky without a car. Although we're not much interested in night life, the restaurant selection around the base is extremely limited.

We took the resort shuttle to one restaurant and the restaurant shuttle to another. Both restaurants were over-priced, a 20-30 minute drive away, and we took our life in our hands on those shuttles. One time, we really thought the bus was going to end up on it's side in a ditch.

The skiing was great, but we prefer Steamboat.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:46 AM

Yes, Big Sky is a skiiers destination. Dining is limited to about 9 restaurants at the base and nightlife is prettty non-existant. We are there to ski and relax and it fits the bill. Snowbird and Alta are incredible - in fact we're headed there for a week mid Feb, but it is, truth be told, an advanced and expert's playground. I wouldn't venture there if you were true Int's, it might prove very frustrating. Park City and The Canyons are better resorts for Int skiiers - although they get crowded and receive considerably less snow than Snowbird/Alta.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:58 AM

I would suggest Park City. There are 3 resorts in the area so lots of trails to choose from. Quick ride from the airport (Salt Lake) in. You can stay at the base or on an easy shuttle ride away from either Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Mountain or the Canyons. Lots of groomed blues -- good choices for intermediates.

Although you say it isn't a consideration, Park City also has a nice little town with some shopping, many restaurant and bar choices.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Park City was one of my husband's questions. Everyone mentions the three resorts in one area, then tend to talk about actually skiing at DV and PC, not the Canyons, but you do, Mellyz. Anyone know why? They offer dated but relatively cheaper onsite lodging, but not a big consideration if you shuttle to PC or DV everyday anyway.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

The Canyons offers dated lodging?? That's hard to imagine since it's a relatively new resort. I would say that's probably why people don't talk much about skiing there -- it's pretty new and up until a few years ago they didn't have a lot of trails open. Most of the lodging is base lodging and there are a couple of restaurants there. The rest of the area's offerings will be at PC.

I can't tell you what it's like from personal experience. Our group (which is a mixed group of skiiers from double-blacks to me on the high green/low blue scale) went there one day to ski, but I didn't ski at all. The weather conditions weren't very good, so I don't think our group enjoyed themselves that much. They said it was more difficult than PC or DV, but that there are lots of blues, if that helps.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:02 PM

The Westgate at the Canyons is a new all condo resort and supposedly EXTREMELY nice. The upside to Canyons is that it's got alot of terrain and doesn't have the crowds of DV and PC. PC can be a zoo and DV is a very toney resort. You may consider Tahoe too - they gets tons of snow and it's gorgeous there.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:17 PM

We love the Park City area. the Canyons used to be Park West, then Wolf Mountain. it's very pretty and woodsy, and there are lots of blue runs. About 15 years ago, we stayed about 1/4 mile from there in a place called Red Pine, that was very nice and very reasonable.

Park City can get crowded, and many of the runs are on the shorter side. The on-mountain food is overpriced for how mediocre it is.

If the snow conditions aren't great, go to Deer Valley; they dig down 18 inches to groom the snow. The food is also expensive there, but it's excellent.

When we feel like saving money on lunches, we make sandwiches from a rotisserie chicken, and carry oranges and cookies.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! I had read the comment about the dated condos on some board, but we don't care if the lodgings are luxurious, just clean and convenient. Just looking for reasons why Canyons isn't mentioned much. I keep hearing so much about DV I'll look at it more closely too.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:59 AM

Another plus to DV is that they don't allow snowboarders. Keeps the crowds down. The on-mountain food there is also excellent! I look forward to their salad bar every year.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM

Just make sure you take LOTS of money and expensive ski wear. DV is the most expensive, exclusive (ienobby) ski resort in the US next the the ultra private members only Yellowstone Club.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:01 AM

I'd agree with the person who said to check out Big Mountain in Whitefish (fly into Kalispell). It can be foggy, unlike any other area I've ever skied, but otherwise it's got everything you're looking for--not too crowded, nice trails for intermediate skiers, great views into Glacier Park, and base lodging, with more (and with nightlife) not too far away in Whitefish.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:57 AM

Steamboat, definitely. Only a three hour drive from Denver, great snow, beatiful scenery, relatively uncrowded, real western town feel, reasonable prices, plentiful ski in/ski out accomodation options. Fits all your criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -