Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Western Mountain Vacation for July/Aug away from the crowds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually vacation offseason to avoid crowds, but the only time my husband and I can get a week vacation time together this year is between mid-July to mid-August. I'd love to go to the mountains, hike, see wildlife or interesting geology, history, etc.

Last year you guys helped us tremendously with a trip to Yellowstone in June (in the snow, but no crowds and lovely scenery and wildlife). We've been to Tahoe, Yosemite, Ranier, Rocky Mtn, Olympia, Sequoia, Jasper, and Banff in off or shoulder season and loved them all.

I would love to see Glacier NP, but would we get stuck behind 20 RVs on the Road to the Sun and never be out of sight of others on the trails? Are parts of the park like Two Medicines as crowded as the rest? As scenic?

Can you suggest other parks not as heavily traveled? How about a national forest or state park that would provide us with the nature fix we need without the mass of humanity? We liked Calavaras State Park in California and several hikes in the national forests in the Sierras there.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:02 AM
GP

Kay2

Try the cascades in Oregon or Washington

Have Fun
GP

Old May 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM

How about the Bighorn Mountains in N Central Wyoming. There are several scenic Highways. Also lots of forest roads to explore, even without 4WD. And plenty of hiking trails of all difficulty levels.

Lots of people drive through the Bighorns on their way between the Black Hills and Yellowstone, but my impression is that the people who actually spend time there are mostly locals.

------------------

You might also consider Glacier. Since Going-to-the-Sun Road opens so late in the Spring (mid-June maybe?), you're pretty much stuck with the crowds. Get up and on the road early and hopefully you'll be ahead of all the RV's
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Hello from Nortwest Montana
No problem being stuck behind an RV because they are not allowed past Avalanche creek which is approx. 10 miles in. Wide vehicles, RV"s.buses etc can only travel to this point. Yes July and August will be busy but nothing compared to Yellowstone.
Depending on the trail(s) you choose will depend on the number of people. I've hiked all day and seen no one;other times will bump into people every 1/2 hour or so.
For more info
www.nps.gov/glac/home.htm

For info on Montana
www.discoveringmontana.com
www.travel.state.mt.us/
Come on out!!!
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Don't know how that little moon got there?????
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:46 PM

John,

I think you put your s in (( )) and that's how you got the .

Fodors Legend for Smileys

http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

Utahtea
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:43 AM
gc

Uh-oh...

Methinks the genie is out of the bottle...
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:00 AM

UTAHTEA
Thanks, your right!!
Wish Fodor's would put the genie back in the bottle .
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM

I haven't been yet (shame on me since it is in my backyard) but I have heard Ranier is beautiful. You could also go to Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. Probably Adams would be least crowded but these are all very close to each other. Or come over the border to Mt. Hood and the Gorge or all of the above. They are all very close and lots to see and do and beautiful places to hike.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:40 AM

We were at Glacier in August and it was crowded,but well managed. Go early and head to the Canada side. It's a wonderful place. Olympic National Park is also a wonderful option.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:52 AM

Hey John,

How did you get the moon changed?

Utahtea
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We have decided to brave the crowds as frequent flyer seats were available for a long weekend in August. And there are some in-park rooms available--Swift Current cabin without bath and the Rising Sun motel, cabins, and motor inn. I think we'll take the basic/rustic housing to be in the park and on the trails early in the a.m.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Coupla three thoughts...

The Kootenays in central British Columbia - glorious mountain scenery, uncrowded, Nelson BC a seriously cute town (featured in several films), hot springs, lots to see. Fly into Spokane and it's maybe 2 hours north.

The Wallowa/Blue Mts. of NE Oregon. One of America's best kept secrets. Various trails, also wonderful driving opportunities like the Hell's Canyon byway, others.

The west coast of Vancouver Island. Tofino and Ucluelet have beach, mountains, the works. In no time at all you can be well rid of humanity.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:47 AM

UTAH TEA
Have no Idea!! The moon just set I guess.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:15 AM

Canadian Rockies all the way. Banff and Jasper are gorgeous! Even though this is prime season it wasn't that crowded. You will not be sorry.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:40 PM

Couple of things you might want to do in Glacier if you like hiking. Drive to Logan Pass early in the morning. By 10am will not find any parking. Cross the road from the visitor center and take the Highline Trail along the Garden Wall. The trail is covered with wildflowers of all types. Can go 7.6 miles to Granite Park Chalet and spend the night or continue on to the Loop at 11.6 mile and take the shuttle back to Logan Pass. It's only 830' gain or 3,026'if you walk in the reverse direction. Also at Logan can take the 3mile round trip to Hidden Lake overlook. Excellent trail for seeing wildlife and vistas from the top. At Swiftcurrent Lodge the rangers set up spotting scopes each evening for spotting grizzlies which are often found on the high slopes.
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM
R

Just one more tip...
we visited Glacier once in late August a few years ago, & had no problem with crowds. Seemed less visited than many of the other spots you've mentioned. Generally, we too visit parks during the shoulder seasons. I was discouraged at first, by people laughing at me, when I tried to book rooms, rather last minute...perhaps a month before. But, then, ran into *fantastic* luck, shortly before going (a week or two). So, keep trying as it gets closer, if you'd like to stay at more lodges w/in Glacier. Also, I agree, that the Canada side was very fun (& quiet) too. Waterton area...there's a neat drive there, back into some hills, that was almost empty. Felt like we were in a place, few had gone before (even tho' we weren't.) ;-) Saw grizzlies & black bears more easily on the Canada side. Wasn't all that eager to see them, while hiking anywhere, tho', as that Spring, they'd lost a park employee to a grizzly & had a bluff charge from a grizzly on a large group of hikers, near Medicine Lake. (just before we arrived) This is not typical behavior for them to do on a big group...ended up being a bear from the same family which had killed the park employee. (I think they ended up euthanizing about 3 bears right then.) Hate to see that happen...but, it does. And, when people are lost...well, they decide they need to remove the 'rogue' bear(s), which is understandable, I suppose. If it were just bluff charging, that's something else, but when someone is lost, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Maira

I just returned from a trip out West-- Yellowstone blew me away. Since you have already visited, I strongly suggest the Adirondack Park in Upstate New York. A million acres of protected, forested, gorgeous natural beauty. Just breathtaking, the roadside geology is very interesting, the waterways are gorgeous, the history is unique, the towns are quaint, and beautiful hikes are for all levels. Yellowstone was out of this world; the Adirondacks are just breathtaking.

Old May 30th, 2003, 04:04 AM

I read somewhere in National Geographic Traveler that the Northern Cascades Nat'l Park in Washington is one of the least visited nat'l parks in the country. I used to go camping up there alot and it's very nice, and not too far from the Olympics, Seattle, and Mt Rainier.
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:25 AM

Kay, you will LOVE Glacier! It's my most favorite place in the US. So beautiful. Enjoy and give a trip report when you return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -