Western Colorado to Sonoma County CA Drive Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a driving trip from Grand Junction, CO to Sonoma County around April 20, this year. I am not familiar with the weather in the mountains West and do not know which route to take. I-80 or US 6/50.

Which one? How many days? I have planned 3 days. 3 1/2 maximum.

I’d appreciate any advice.

Last edited by OHrowver; Feb 20th, 2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to United States Forum
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 03:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The snow storms SHOULD be done by April 20. If you can handle an 8 hour day take I-80 west from SLC to Elko NV (508 miles) The next day should be less than 8 hours to Sonoma.
If this is a rental car one way, consider taking the Amtrak California Zephyr from Grand Junction all the way to Sacramento and rent a car there to go to Sonoma. The train arrives in Sacramento mid afternoon before the rental car companies close depending on weekday or weekend day
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:49 PM

Take US 50; I find it more interesting than the interstate. The town of Delta has a museum dedicated to the Topaz Relocation Camp which was located about ten miles out of town. It could be an interesting museum which unfortunately was closed when we were taking that road back home.

https://flic.kr/p/uWxq6d
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
The snow storms SHOULD be done by April 20. If you can handle an 8 hour day take I-80 west from SLC to Elko NV (508 miles) The next day should be less than 8 hours to Sonoma.
If this is a rental car one way, consider taking the Amtrak California Zephyr from Grand Junction all the way to Sacramento and rent a car there to go to Sonoma. The train arrives in Sacramento mid afternoon before the rental car companies close depending on weekday or weekend day
I should have said the California Zephyr sometimes arrives in Sacramento mid afternoon. The Zephyr has not arrived yet. It will be about 6 hours late (after 8PM PT). Something bad must have happened in Nevada because it left SLC on time early this morning.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 09:12 PM

I am with Tom on this one. Most of the major snow storms should be over by then. I-80 is faster than US 50. I live off US 50 in California and when I drove to/from Moab, I took I-80 both ways. You should be able to get from Grand Junction to Elko, NV in one day (I did). Elko has a variety of hotels/motels and has a few good Basque food restaurants. The next day you should make it to Sonoma Co. Do be aware that once you get near Sacramento on I-80 you are subject to rush hour traffic (all the way to and including Sonoma Co.) during certain hours. Oh heck, past Sacramento the traffic towards the Bay Area is always heavy!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I also agree winter storms "should" be over by then. But it wouldn't hurt to check the forecast and road conditions a few days in advance, see if one route makes more sense than the other.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:02 PM

I'm wondering if OP is looking for the fastest route or has a mini road trip in mind?

IF this drive is supposed to be a road trip, taking 50 through Nevada would be my first choice.. Loneliest Road in America, ya know..
You can find lots of tourist info here: https://travelnevada.com/road-trip/l...-road-america/
I thought it was quite an experience.
And with generous speed limits on 50, I don't even think it's much slower than 80. Actually, Google says it's a few minutes less than via 80 (not saying that a few minutes are relevant when the total net drive time is 15 hours).
Once you get to Fallon and check road/weather conditions for either route, you can still decide if you want to take 80 from there, or drive 50 all the way to Sacramento (stop at Virginia City).
But definetely 3 days / 2 nights on the road if this is supposed to be a road trip..

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 01:07 PM

Lets hope that the OP returns with their wishes for a road trip - 3 days or the fastest trip 15-16 hours over 2 days.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We live in hope, tomfuller!